First day of class - comments and question

RJB78

CPST Instructor
So, I had my first day of class, and I was pleased with the information and tone of the class. I was proud of myself for what I already knew (which was most of it, thanks to this board!), and actually kind of surprised! I guess I don't give myself enough credit. :eek: As expected, I was the only one there in the group of 18 that was there because I wanted to be! :p

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, because we get to talk about rear and forward facing restraints and guidelines, and I feeling really confident about those things. :thumbsup:

For the quiz, I missed two questions out of 10 - even though it was open notes - oops! The two I missed I thought I knew, so I didn't think to confirm my answers. The ones I was unsure of I looked up just to be sure.

The questions I missed were about who "learns, practices, and educates" (I picked tech, it was supposed to be "all of the above") and "T/F NHTSA tests all restraints before they go on the market." I didn't read that question carefully, because I read it as, "True, all restraints are tested and safe." I wasn't thinking about WHO was doing the testing.

What is it with me and tests? :rolleyes: I failed my learner's permit test and I barely passed the written test for the driver's license, but it doesn't mean I'm a bad driver! I think I'm a pretty good one!

Finally to my question - It's about air bags. The overview discussion about air bags made it seem like it wasn't the safest option to put a restraint next to a side airbag. :confused: I guess I thought the opposite was true - it offered added protection for children, especially ones in seats without SIP.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Sounds like a great first day!! Use your book if you need to. The queations can be worded to confuse you, so pay close attention.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yeah, I guess I'll be double checking for all questions now! :)

I was the only person in my class because I wanted to as well. I was aslo the only one to past my hands on stuff on the 1st try. You will do great!

dhardawa

You have to really read the questions well. There are a few that were on the recertification exam a few years ago that I refused to answer because either all of the answers were correct or something I'd do or because I didn't feel any option was the "best" option.

The only one I can vaguely remember (this was three years ago) was around either an expired seat, a recalled seat that could not be repaired, or something like that. It read something to the effect of, "If a parent came to a clinic and needed his/her (expired/recalled/etc.) seat installed, what would you do?"

a. Refuse to install the seat for liability reasons
b. Explain to the parent that the seat is unsafe due to...
c. Replace the seat
d. Instruct the parent to destroy the seat

Well, at the clinics I do, we are not allowed to install seats that are expired/recalled/etc. because it opens up the organization to liability. I would also absolutely explain to the parent what was wrong with the seat, how to check for recalls, when seats expire, etc. We would also replace the seat with a new one and destroy the old one. So, based on my training, all the answers were correct.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Finally to my question - It's about air bags. The overview discussion about air bags made it seem like it wasn't the safest option to put a restraint next to a side airbag. :confused: I guess I thought the opposite was true - it offered added protection for children, especially ones in seats without SIP.

Side airbags are different than side-curtain airbags. Side-curtain airbags deploy down, which will not impact a correctly installed carseat, but there are other types of side-airbags that deploy inward and might be a risk if a carseat were installed there. It's not very common to have those types of side airbags in the backseats, though, so you probably won't see it very often, if at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC