Cosco Peterson contraption, 1983

classicseats

The photos are back for those who missed them. Wow, there is a lot going on with this one! Overhead shield independent of the harness, 4 different positions held in place with pins on either side of the frame. No height adjustment for the harness, one position only. When rear facing, the shield swings around under the seat I guess to help stabilize the thing? Forward facing it's like putting a dashboard right in front of your kid, does more damage than good! Sorry for more of the same, metal frame/vinyl covers to some of you. Safe-T-Shield is the name.

Last edited:
ADS

valleyfam

Wow! Check out all that plush vinyl! And we complain because Sahara can be scratchy.:D I just love your post. It is amazing how far car seats have come. I just wonder what our grandkids will ride in.

monzogary

Senior Community Member
That is quite the contraption! Would it be a big deal to get a pic of the actual harness? Just curious about how it looks from the front with the shield up so you could see the harness. Not a big deal if you can't though, I just love seeing all the features of these older seats.
Awesome collection you have! I wish I could play with all those seats.

MomToEliEm

Was the harness always suppose to be at or above the shoulders for these older seats? That harness seems so low, using today's guidelines for harness strap positioning for forward facing would mean that the seat would be outgrown really early. Maybe seats back then didn't really look at harness height as a guideline for when a seat was outgrown.

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the extra pic! Wow, that's a low harness. How in the world would a ff kid fit in that?
If you live within driving distance I could so see myself taking a road trip lol! Just too cool.
:D

Niea

There are slots in the shell for a higher position, but not in the cover. I guess you could slice holes in the cover and put the little plastic trim pieces in the new holes?

That's bizarre! Maybe they offered a different cover that had slots in the higher positions??

TerisBoys

There are slots in the shell for a higher position, but not in the cover. I guess you could slice holes in the cover and put the little plastic trim pieces in the new holes?

That might be it - I know on some of the older Tourivas, there were slits in the covers and little plastic trim pieces that you had to move with the straps.

amyg530

i know lots of people have suggested you make a website but what if you just signed up for a myspace and uploaded all the pictures of seats taht you have to it? that might be easier and you could just put a description as the caption. depending on how many seats you have you could do a folder for short time spans, like seats from 70-75, 75-80 and so on

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
THAT'S IT, THAT'S IT! THAT IS THE FIRST CAR SEAT I EVER USED!!!!

Ok, I guess ya'll think I'm really weird for being so excited.LOL.

Thank you Classic seats!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nah, he keeps posting new ones and someone's super excited about one of them every time :thumbsup:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
That's bizarre! Maybe they offered a different cover that had slots in the higher positions??

The way I remember it was the harness was for rfing and the sheild was for ffing. I was 10 or 11 years old and this seat was used for my cousin until 2..3 yo maybe. My mom was her full time sitter. My Aunt would leave the seat in the morning and pick it up again in the evening. I would beg my mom and my aunt to let me put it in the car for them. And they never thought twice about letting me.:eek: When my cousin was in the seat I was always worried she wasn't tight enough because my mom would leave the shield in the loosest position so my cousin would not be squished. As soon as she turned her back I would tighten it as far as it would go. I didn't know why at the time, but it just gave me a bad feeling in my stomach when Brenda could climb out without lifting the shield, so I would tighten it. I also remember getting really mad when we'd have too many people and the seat would be left behind and Brenda would ride on a lap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC