Graco Nautilus Review

Mama2J

Overview:
The Graco Nautilus is a forward-facing combination seat that can be used in three different modes. The internal harness may be used for children who are at least one year old, 20-65 pounds, and 27-52 inches tall. It has 4 harness slots: 12, 14.5, 16.5, and 18.5 inches. There are also 2 buckle strap positions: approximately 6 and 7 inches (depth of seat to crotch buckle).

It may be used as a high-back booster for children at least 3 years old, 30-100 pounds, and 38-57 inches tall. The shoulder belt guide is 21 inches high. It may also be used as a backless booster for children at least 4 years old, 40-100 pounds, and 40-57 inches tall. This seat retails at $149.99. For more information, see the manufacturer’s web site: www.gracobaby.com.

Advantages:
This seat has high harness slots and can keep a child harnessed longer than any other combination seat currently on the market. It is a large, versatile seat with lots of room to grow. The harness adjuster is the easiest I have ever used – straps can be tightened in one smooth pull rather than several short pulls like most seats. The headrest has EPS foam for safety and is easily adjustable for height. The seat cover has matching shoulder and belly pads for additional comfort. There is a cupholder on the right side, and storage areas in both armrests for snacks and small toys.

ETA: Graco has approved the use of LATCH (both lower anchors and tether) in high-back booster mode, and expiration has been extended to 9 years for low-back booster use (it is still 6 years for harness and high-back booster modes).

Disadvantages:
It is a heavy seat (20 pounds). The LATCH connectors are clip-style, rather than the easier-to-use push-button. There are currently only three cover designs to choose from, all combinations of gray and black.

Conclusion:
I would recommend this seat to anyone who wants to keep their child harnessed as long as possible, if they can no longer rear-face. It is a great price for a high-weight harnessed combination seat. We are using ours as a secondary seat in my husband’s vehicle, but I would be comfortable using it as an everyday seat as well. We just got this seat a few days ago, so it is still new to us, but I will add any further follow-up comments or concerns that may occur.

Pictures:
The install pictures below were taken in a 2002 Blazer with the Nautilus in outboard passenger position.

This seat must be assembled before use - armrests and headrest easily snap into place:
IMG_5657.jpg

My 4-year-old has plenty of room to grow - this picture shows the headrest in highest position so you can see all the harness slots:
IMG_5664.jpg

This is the headrest position we will use since we have the harness in the second to top slots - it is right above the slot:
IMG_5676.jpg

The date of manufacture is located on the bottom of the seat. There is also a year stamped into the plastic - the seat may be used until December of that year (approximate 6-year expiration in harness and high-back modes):
IMG_5677.jpg

It looks like it will make a great booster, and the red belt guides make positioning easier (headrest is adjusted to highest position in this picture). The harness will need to be removed to use in booster mode:
IMG_5681.jpg

Installed with seatbelt - the angle of this buckle made the belt twist a bit at the latchplate, but it is a solid install:
IMG_5682.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

themvans

Thank you for the great review. After reading it, I went out and purchased a Nautilus (BabiesRUs, used my coupon and paid a total of 129.00 for it!). We took my son out of his horrible Eddie Bauer seat and moved him into the Nautilus, and he LOVES it. Very plush, easy to install, easy to get him in and out, and it is silly but he loves the cupholder up front where he can actually reach it. I'm thrilled that he can stay harnessed in for a longer time, as he is a bit of a wiggle worm and I was panicked about him going into a booster.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Thank you for the great review. After reading it, I went out and purchased a Nautilus (BabiesRUs, used my coupon and paid a total of 129.00 for it!). We took my son out of his horrible Eddie Bauer seat and moved him into the Nautilus, and he LOVES it. Very plush, easy to install, easy to get him in and out, and it is silly but he loves the cupholder up front where he can actually reach it. I'm thrilled that he can stay harnessed in for a longer time, as he is a bit of a wiggle worm and I was panicked about him going into a booster.

Thats funny... I was looking into the Nautilus as a replacement for my friend's crappy Eddie Bauer too. ;)

valleyfam

Please confirm with Graco, but under disadvantages you list it can not be used with latch as a booster, however; it is my understanding that the seat can be latched and tethered when in booster mode. Thanks for the review I know it will help.

Mama2J

I'm glad the review was helpful! Thanks for bringing to my attention the issue about LATCH in booster mode. I checked the manual and did not see anything mentioned about it, but I think I had read here when the seat first came out that it was not allowed. I will do a search to see if it was discussed again, and update my review if necessary.

ETA: I have edited the review to include the new info about LATCH and expiration date.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC