Expired AO

Airforcemomma

I have a friend that is currently using an expired AO in booster mode. It's 8 yrs old.

She has her 8 yr old in a safety first booster and her 5 yr old using the AO in booster mode.

I told her that it was expired and both her and her hubby said they don't care about that because they are not using the harness.

Do expiration dates apply to booster use too or just harnessed seats?

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It applies to both harness and booster mode. Some AOs are good for 8 yrs. There is usually a stamp on the back of the shell that say DO NOT USE AFTER DECEMBER 31, XXXX. That being said I would not use one past 6 yrs if I lived in a extreme heat or cold climate.

Maybe tell them about other BPB such as the FPVDB or TB at a decent price.

Airforcemomma

I tried to tell her that. And, having said that Dad is a firefighter. You would think that he would at least have a different attitude about car seats. I'd rather go and buy them a new seat myself then have them continue to use an expired seat.

The 5 yr old that is using the seat is very tiny and IMO should still be in a harnessed seat.

So frustrating. I know they are not educated about car seat safety to the extent that everyone on this board is.

Any suggestions on how to "educate" them without offending them?

Airforcemomma

It applies to both harness and booster mode. Some AOs are good for 8 yrs. There is usually a stamp on the back of the shell that say DO NOT USE AFTER DECEMBER 31, XXXX. That being said I would not use one past 6 yrs if I lived in a extreme heat or cold climate.

Maybe tell them about other BPB such as the FPVDB or TB at a decent price.
I'm not sure what the FPVDB is?? Fisher Price ?? Must be a seat we don't have in Canada.

ETA: We get both extreme's of temp here in South Eastern Ontario, extreme cold in winter and very hot and humid in the summer. They posted in from Cape Breton on the east coast so the extreme weather can be an understatement out there.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'm not sure what the FPVDB is?? Fisher Price ?? Must be a seat we don't have in Canada.

ETA: We get both extreme's of temp here in South Eastern Ontario, extreme cold in winter and very hot and humid in the summer. They posted in from Cape Breton on the east coast so the extreme weather can be an understatement out there.

OOPS! forgor you are in Canada. Yes, it is Fisher Price Voyager Deluxe Booster.

Wow, dad is a firefighter and still does not understand or have concern :(. Well, I think the only way they will stop using the seat is if they get a new one. I do not know what seats you have in Canada for BPB, but maybe you can find one on sale. If you do, take the AO away and destroy it though ;). Good luck!

Airforcemomma

Actually, babies r us has the turbo booster on sale this week for $54.97. Not a bad price. The compass booster is $69 at Wal Mart. Either one of those better then the other?

Airforcemomma

Thanks for the link.

I will just go buy one and tell her that I got them for a great deal and thought she might like one too. LOL

Hopefully she won't get upset with me....:whistle:

Mommy090804

I have always been curious about the AO in booster mode. If the seat has such a low back, then how long would a kid actually be able to use the seat in booster mode? I have not actually seen one being used in booster mode, and I know quite a few kids DD's age that must be outgrowing their AOs by height by now.

I know the claims made by the manufacturer of the seat often lead to misuse. Even stating the 40lb limit on the harness makes parents think that once kids hit 40lbs, then they are done with the harness (versus the possibility of outgrowing it by height much sooner than 40lbs). This is true of most seats though.

Anyone, back to my original questions. Is the seat outgrown in booster mode once the top of the ears become level with the seatback? With the low back on the seat, wouldn't kids be outgrowing it by age 6 or 7, and much sooner than 100lbs? I do realize that there is no way the average 100lb kid would ever fit in an AO in booster mode, but some kids might not even make it to age 9 or 4'9" (our new booster law).

BTW, thanks for the link to the TB on sale at BRU. I have a co-worker whose mom needs to replace the 15 year old convertible seat she is still using for her 4 yr old DGD.

Last edited:

canadianmom2three

The turbo will be a better deal in the long run. Our compass in WalMArt is only the B505 which does not even adjust as tall as the one in the link above. Comapas is a GREAT booster, but more so the B510 than the 505...the turbo will be usable longer in highback mode, and then could be a backless after that. Go for the really cute girly turbo, if you can, then the DD will likely love it and beg parents to keep it instead of whatever she's currently got!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC