Should we engage auto-lock device on seatbelt w/ booster?

U

Unregistered

My two daughters ride in boosters and we have been hearing mixed answer as to whether we should pull the seat belt all the way out so that the auto-lock feature engages before we buckle them in. My husband says no because it doesn't say to do it that way in the manual. Sister-in-law and a few sites say yes, but I'm not finding any authority on the subject. Can anyone point me to a resource that has the answer? Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know of any sites, but yes, it's fine to do. How old are the girls, and what vehicle(s) do you drive? Some cars don't have belts that lock at the shoulders.

Wendy

minismom

My two daughters ride in boosters and we have been hearing mixed answer as to whether we should pull the seat belt all the way out so that the auto-lock feature engages before we buckle them in. My husband says no because it doesn't say to do it that way in the manual. Sister-in-law and a few sites say yes, but I'm not finding any authority on the subject. Can anyone point me to a resource that has the answer? Thanks!

You have a choice. There's no need to lock the belts, but it's useful if you want to keep your children from leaning forward or sliding out of position, specially if it's a long trip and they might fall asleep. The children are only protected in the booster seat if they sit properly. That's why we recommend children stay in a harnessed seat until they're mature enough to sit properly the entire ride, every ride.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My site does encourage this for those kids who are unable to otherwise remain properly positioned. It's an option. The vehicle manufacturers don't give a definitive answer because the Emergency Locking Retractor will engage regardless & the Switchable/Locking Retractors frequently become accidentally engaged even by adults. It's not a safety risk to do so, it may merely be uncomfortable for the passenger. If a child is apt to lean out, around or forward while in a booster seat, then engaging the shoulder belt lock usually serves as a reminder to help keep them properly positioned. A child must essentially remain as still as a crash test dummy for the booster + seatbelt to offer full protection. I taught my child to always engage the locking shoulder belt because it prevents her from forgetting to sit still (& this is a child who is more educated on vehicle safety than most adults: kids too often simply have short attention spans & get caught in their own minds, forgetting to be "perfectly" still for the entire length of every ride). If you feel like engaging the shoulder belt lock will help keep your kids properly positioned, then go ahead & do it. It does not increase their risk of injury to do so, but does hold the potential to help reduce their risk. Some kids only need to be reminded that if they move lean around (or put the shoulder belt under the arm or behind the back) then the consequence will be to lock the belt. Some kids hate having it locked, so the mere threat is enough. Some kids prefer to feel more snug as they feel safer. Either option is fine so long as neither the carseat or vehicle manual actually forbids it (none do that I know of)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC