Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Opinions Please!

I need a safe lightweight umbrella stroller for travel. I have the peg perego p3 but don't want to lug it in the car for road trips.

Any suggestions on small but good stollers? I am not looking to spend tons of money, but don't want one with just a lap belt either.

I would really appreciate hints on where it is best to get good deals, too!

Thank You!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Re: Opinions Please!

I really like my Chicco Capri umbrella stroller. It has a 5-point harness, a slight recline (very slight, but still adequate), and handles high enough that I can push it. I paid $60 for it.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

So is this for road trips only? Any features important to you? Do you need a recline?

Maclaren Volo
    Rock Star Baby Candy
    Espirit Sun Speed
    Inglesina (any of theirs)
    Quinny Zapp
    Uppa Baby G-Lite
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Senior Community Member TnT's Mom's Avatar

We have a Maclaren Volo lightweight stroller and we love it...we got ours last year as a closeout when the new year models were coming out. I did a quick search and it looks like the 2006 Volo's are on sale a few places for 79.99. It is very lightweight and folds up easily for travel. It is a more mesh type seat but it fits my son almost sling/hammocky like if that makes sense. Our only problem we are starting to have is he is tall for 3 and since last year he must have had a height growth spurt so his head is a bit high on the back but all in all he still fits fine in it...we just traveled to Florida and unless he was being nudgy and putting his feet down to stop it, it pushes easily with a 40 pound child in it! I actually came here looking for advice last year and the Volo was highly recommended.
    DS#1 12yrs., 85lbs., 58"tall, 5-stepping in my car!
    DS#2 9yrs., 65lbs., 49" tall, Jane Indy, Compass Pathway B570

I have to confess I do not know a lot about the different features. My DS is 9 months old and he likes to see out, but I guess he would nap if it reclined. So it is not critical but would be nice.
    I am saying this is for road trips, but again if I get something I love I might use it all the time. lol. What do you think is the best stroller out there? I intially was thinking I would get a very cheap umbrella stroller, but I don't think I would be happy with that.

Oooo now we're talking

Ok, do you have a budget in mind? For an all around stroller I love strollers with airtires. That way you can take them outdoors, and indoors with a niiice ride. Of course there are some strollers with nice suitable wheels for outdoor use too. At his age and for your only stroller I would recommend something with a nice sunshade, recline, and room to grow.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

I am thinking you will want more recline then the Volo then. It actually doesn't have recline. I should have asked how old your son was. But down the road when he is older I still recommend the Volo. I did try out I think a Maclaren Triumph (which I believe did recline) but it didn't seem to have as much height to it to support my son's head but he was 2 when we purchased our umbrella type stroller.

Room to grow sounds like a good idea. I was not planning on spending over $100. Which strollers have airtires?
    Do you think the peg p3 is a good stroller? it is really the only one I have experience with. It is nice enough, but I can't say I am thrilled with it. DO they get a lot better than that one?

Quote Originally Posted by TnT's Mom View Post
    I am thinking you will want more recline then the Volo then. It actually doesn't have recline. I should have asked how old your son was. But down the road when he is older I still recommend the Volo. I did try out I think a Maclaren Triumph (which I believe did recline) but it didn't seem to have as much height to it to support my son's head but he was 2 when we purchased our umbrella type stroller.
    I guess i have some shopping to do. I never thought about the height of the seat back.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot201 View Post
    I really like my Chicco Capri umbrella stroller. It has a 5-point harness, a slight recline (very slight, but still adequate), and handles high enough that I can push it. I paid $60 for it.
    I was looking at this one at the store. Does it fold down nice and small?

With a $100 budget you are going to be limited(in regards to air tires), unless you can find some used strollers.

Here are some strollers $100 and under.

Graco IPO
    Mia Moda Cielo
    Mia Moda Facile
    Chicco C6
    Combi (Great if you are short)
    Mia Moda Spirito
    Inglesina Swift
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

Quote Originally Posted by blurofur View Post
    I was looking at this one at the store. Does it fold down nice and small?
    Yup!

It folds down to the same size as any small umbrella stroller.

It is not nearly as nice as a Maclaren, Baby Planet, Peg, or other "high-end" stroller, but it serves my needs quite well.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg

We did have a Combi city savvy or something like that before the Volo and I did actually like it when ds was smaller but it became very difficult to manuever as he got bigger and heavier which is when I moved him to the Volo which seems to steer and push easier with a heavier child. DH did not care for the Combi as he is 6'1" and he felt hunched over when pushing it and also kicked the back wheels when walking...I never had that problem but I am only 5'5".

CPS Fanatic

The P3 is pretty light. But if you are looking for light and quality, you cannot beat the Maclarens. I have the Ryder and Techno, both are great strollers.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

I was going to recommend the Mia Moda Facile. It is under $100 and has an adjustable canopy, adjustable calf support, 4-position seat recline, front wheel suspension and swivel lock wheels.
    But, it only goes up to 40#.
    Michelle

Thanks for all the help!
    I ended up getting a floor model Maclaren volo (saffron). I think it might be a 2006 model. It was a great deal; I got it for under 60 bucks and it looks brand new.

Wow! What a deal!

Awesome
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9