replacing ford windstar

U

Unregistered

we were in an accident recently and need to get a new (well, actually, probably used) vehicle. I remember last time around telling my husband to stick to Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey or Ford Winstar. We went with the Windstar because it was next to impossible to find either of the others used or decently priced for our budget. BTW, we were all completely fine in the accident and my dh was very happy with the performance of the van in protecting us.

This time we are looking for something under $17,000 I think. If something was new and thus had some good financing or something, we might be able to do more. But otherwise I think we are looking at used.

So does anyone have advice for currently what is the best safety wise in that price range. We will have our fourth child in March. Only looking at minivans. Last time around I found it very easy to see that there were 3 clearly safer models. Are there any good links for easy to understand recent crash testing results? It may also be harder for me now because I now have three little ones here distracting me and a spacey pregnant mind... so please excuse me if i just sound stupid.

Also, to what degree do the side airbags help? Our oldest child is 43 lbs. All kids will be harnessed in carseats up to 80 lbs. Since it is optional for the Freestar, we have had trouble finding used ones with those equipped. Some people think the side airbags are vital, but others think that it won't make much of a difference until the kids are out of 5-point-harnessed carseats.

thanks

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Glad To Hear You're All Safe! =)

I imagine that the side airbags are definitely more important for any passengers not in 5-point harnesses.... I think those 3 you mentioned are still at the top as far as minivan safety. There's also the new Ford Freestyle wagon/minivan/SUV combo thingy (looks & drives like a wagon; space, seating & safety like a minivan; SUV 4WD & stuff; "carlike" MPG) - but, I mention that thinking maybe you could find a minivan within your budget now while the kids are in carseats & possibly trade in eventually for something like the Freestyle? In the meantime, I'm guessing you have Huskies :) If any of your kids outgrow the Huskies (& or boosters with side impact protection - Turbo, Parkway, etc.) sitting in a middle position, there's always the 86Y harness....

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Lol Darren...

I'd get the side curtain airbags if finances allow. Hopefully your van will survive :D until the kids are out of seats, and in that case the side airbags will help protect them.

Can you swing any good deals on a Freestar with the Ford Employee Discount going on right now?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
shellebelle said:
Lol Darren...

I'd get the side curtain airbags if finances allow. Hopefully your van will survive :D until the kids are out of seats, and in that case the side airbags will help protect them.

Can you swing any good deals on a Freestar with the Ford Employee Discount going on right now?

The problem for the original poster is finding a minivan with side curtain airbags for around $17,000. A used 2004 Freestar S or SE is the most likely choice, but may be hard to find in a lower trim model that has the optional side curtain airbags. The SE had optional stability control, also.

I'm upgrading for side curtain airbags, stability control, a 60/40 split rear seat and an 8th seat. Even so, I have no problems with our kids being outboard in our Odyssey if they are in a harnessed child seat or a high back booster. The higher ride of a minivan or SUV provides significant protection from side impact in and of itself. Being properly restrained in a harnessed carseat also provides reasonable protection, as would the high back booster (especially one designed for side impact protection), to a lesser degree. Most at risk would be a child in a backless booster or a small adult sitting in an outboard position.

While I would recommend side curtain airbags and stability control in any vehicle, I suggest the side curtain airbags are most critical in lower riding sedans, coupes and wagons and the stability control most important in truck based SUVs with high centers of gravity and high rollover risks.

For safety, style and reliability on a budget, I think I still offer a pretty good deal;-)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC