how do you know who is a certified technician..

sami

.. as opposed to someone who is knowledgeable in installing seats?

I am sorry if that is a ridiculous question :(

I was just thinking about the police officer that reinstalled my two carseats (a Graco infant carseat and a Britax Marathon).

She told me that when my daughter turned 4 yrs. old, she should be in a booster seat. She told me that my daughter looked uncomfortable in her Marathon, and her head was almost to the top of the seat.

My daughter is 39 lbs. and 42 1/2 inches tall. She still fits comfortably with the top slots of the seat (her shoulders are not above the slots, slightly below-even with the top slots) and when she reclines her head back onto the seat, I don't see her above the top of the seat.

After joining this website, I am beginning to think that I should go elsewhere (when it is time to check on the installation of our Nautilus). I searched on this website for certified car seat technicians in my area.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent. I was just wondering if everyone who installs these seats are indeed certified (or have they just taken a few lessons/courses somewhere??)

Thanks!

Sami

ADS

Stretchy Glue

Look here
www.safekids.org/certification

Then on the right side, click on find a technician or instructor. Then you can specify your city.
and no, not everyone is certified. Often, you'll find people who have taken a 2 hour 'refresher' course and think they're qualified.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't be offended if you asked for my qualifications at a checkup event. I think it's a fair question to ask and if someone is offended by it, you want to double-check the advice they give you.

Robert

CPST Instructor
Because I know some tech's in our area are expired and I teach child seat classes twice a week at a local hospital, I advice the expectant parent to ask to see the tech's CPS card to see if their currrent. All CPS tech's should have their card and should not be offended if a parent asks to see it

tjham

Our local SAFEKIDS (Maricopa County, AZ) did a segment on TV and the tech actually said that a child should go into a booster at 4 and 40 lbs, NO mention of the HWH seats available. :rolleyes:

I'm glad my son wasn't watching.
I have him convinced to keep my 6 1/2 yr old. 39 1/2 lb. granddaughter in a Radian, so far.
But he's antsy to get her in a booster!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Our local SAFEKIDS (Maricopa County, AZ) did a segment on TV and the tech actually said that a child should go into a booster at 4 and 40 lbs, NO mention of the HWH seats available. :rolleyes:

I'm glad my son wasn't watching.
I have him convinced to keep my 6 1/2 yr old. 39 1/2 lb. granddaughter in a Radian, so far.
But he's antsy to get her in a booster!

I saw that :(.

You can ask to see thier wallet SK card and a Picture ID. Not all tech list themselve publically on the link that Strechy posted. If they are doing a check thier card should be with them ;).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't be offended if you asked for my qualifications at a checkup event. I think it's a fair question to ask and if someone is offended by it, you want to double-check the advice they give you.

:yeahthat: I always show caregivers my SafeKids certification card when I introduce myself at a seatcheck :twocents:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
:yeahthat: I always show caregivers my SafeKids certification card when I introduce myself at a seatcheck :twocents:

I think that is a good idea! I really need to get mine laminated. I was thinking of laminating a few and ising one of my NASCAR stings with the clamp (whatever they are called...) from the banquet and attatching my card and wear it around my neck. Or using a hot glue gun and attaching a safety pin type thing you fins at the craft store on the back and wearing my card as a pin.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
attatching my card and wear it around my neck. Or using a hot glue gun and attaching a safety pin type thing you fins at the craft store on the back and wearing my card as a pin.

Those are nifty ideas :) You could call your local city bus offices to see if they have any plastic holders for their monthly/semester/yearly passes -- I just keep my Tech card in that (for free) :cool: & keep it inside my clip board (has a flip top to hold documents, pens, locking clips, etc. inside)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Those are nifty ideas :) You could call your local city bus offices to see if they have any plastic holders for their monthly/semester/yearly passes -- I just keep my Tech card in that (for free) :cool: & keep it inside my clip board (has a flip top to hold documents, pens, locking clips, etc. inside)

Good ides, but we have all of short busses. We are not a big city...LOL.I could just take my name tag out of my NASCAR banquet one or find one of DH's from his poker tournements. I will have to do some looking :)

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
FWIW, not all 'certified' techs give good info...and there are plenty of people NOT certified whom I'd rather install my seat or give me info.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
FWIW, not all 'certified' techs give good info...and there are plenty of people NOT certified whom I'd rather install my seat or give me info.

This is true, but a lot of people expect someone to be certified if they are at a check event. If they are teching to install seats at a public SK check event they have to be certified.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC