Marathon vs. Fisher Price?

mdsvc89

We're not in need of a convertible yet -- DS is only 22lbs and still has a while to go in his SafeSeat 1 -- but I like to research early.

I understand the Fisher Price something... is basically a Marathon minus a few features. What are those features, and how critical do people find them?

I'll need a seat that has a high RF weight, and high harness height for FF. DS is 22lbs at 9.5 months (8 months adjusted) and if he grows anything like his big sister, he'll be tall, too.

Thanks!

-Michelle

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The FPVD is a downgraded version of the MA. It is still a great seat. ALhtough the only place that has it now is allbeebaby I belive as it has been discontinued and you may not be able to get parts if needed.

CandCfam

FWIW, the FPSVD is being discontinued, so seats that are available now are pretty much older DOMs, and getting replacement parts for them may become an issue.

The FPSVD cannot be tethered RF, it has no built-in lock offs, the FF weight limit is lower (not a big deal unless your child is a bit on the overweight side), and the covers are not as nice as a Britax.

If you are wanting a higher RF weight limit, I'd look at the EfTA. It RF to 35 lbs, FF to 50 and has 17" top slot position, same as the MA and FPSVD.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The last seats made were in 9/2007, so if you're not going to be using it any time soon then you'll likely get a seat that's a year old already.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance has a taller shell and a higher RFing weight limit, and slightly taller top harness height for FFing as well. However, the FFing limit is 50 pounds rather than the 55 of the FPSVD and the 65 of the Marathon.

The Radian and the Recaros have high top slots and weight limits. The Radian RFs to 33 pounds and FFs to 65 pounds with 18" top slots, and the Recaros RF to 35 pounds and FF to 70 pounds with 19" top slots. So those can be on your radar as well.

Wendy

mdsvc89

Thanks! This was very helpful.

I'm thinking we may get a Radian 65, because it folds, and that will be helpful for air travel (we do at least 2 trips a year, and will start doing more if/when we relocate) and then an evenflo advance for the other car, for the cost savings.

Grandma will get a scenera :)

Thanks!

Michelle

magoose

We got MA for the girls. One of them might need the higher weight limit as she is chunky and I also liked the cover options, couldn't resist. Our first choice the Radian Princess cover ofcourse did not work as I could not get a good install and I thought it would be a bear to take out and install in different situations. Anna

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks! This was very helpful.

I'm thinking we may get a Radian 65, because it folds, and that will be helpful for air travel (we do at least 2 trips a year, and will start doing more if/when we relocate) and then an evenflo advance for the other car, for the cost savings.

Grandma will get a scenera :)

Thanks!

Michelle

A Radian will not fit rear facing on a plane. However, it's a GREAT forward facing travel seat. What you could for now is when you travel take the Scenera from Grandma's car. It's lightweight and installs easily. Then when baby goes FFing in 11 pounds you can then start taking the Radian with you. It's just too big front to back to fit on a plane RFing, and it has a removable foot that must be used RFing, and I'd be paranoid about losing that somewhere along the travels. Mine falls off as you move the seat around to install and uninstall it.

Wendy

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
and I'd be paranoid about losing that somewhere along the travels. Mine falls off as you move the seat around to install and uninstall it.

Wendy, that foot should NOT be falling off. Ours is always very well secured. Are you pushing the little metal notch to lock it in place?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I shove it on as far as possible. But I only use it when I'm trying out seats, so I'm pulling the seat every which way constantly. I shove it into the bight and then pull it out, move it left and right.... If I was just leaving it installed it wouldn't be a problem in the least.

Wendy

Defrost

I shove it on as far as possible. But I only use it when I'm trying out seats, so I'm pulling the seat every which way constantly. I shove it into the bight and then pull it out, move it left and right.... If I was just leaving it installed it wouldn't be a problem in the least.

Wendy

That's the only way I use my Radian RF, too, though, and I've never had it even budge. After you shove it in as far as possible, you know there's a little metal clip you push in that locks the foot onto the carseat?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think I do. The first one I had (DOM 10/05) didn't have that. The harness went around the outside of the foot and helped hold it on. So when I got the new one (DOM 3/07) I assumed they had just fixed that somehow but that I just didn't care enough about locking it on to get it tight enough. I'm looking at the manual now and I see the metal tab you're talking about. I've not used that before.

Almost three years I've been on this CPS boat, and I'm still learning stuff about the seats I've owned for years. LOL

Wendy

Defrost

I don't think I do. The first one I had (DOM 10/05) didn't have that. The harness went around the outside of the foot and helped hold it on. So when I got the new one (DOM 3/07) I assumed they had just fixed that somehow but that I just didn't care enough about locking it on to get it tight enough. I'm looking at the manual now and I see the metal tab you're talking about. I've not used that before.

Almost three years I've been on this CPS boat, and I'm still learning stuff about the seats I've owned for years. LOL

Wendy

LOL! I figured it had to be something like that - I didn't realize it was a "new" feature and I was afraid maybe there something wrong with your seat. :)

Defrost

Debbie...My boot will slide off if I try to hard to get a upright install. It does not snap on well. DOM 3/07.

Didn't you say your metal clip lockie-thingy doesn't stay in place, though?

This would annoy the heck out of me. Mine is TIGHT when it's on, even before I lock it in with the metal thingy. I always have to pound it a couple times to get it off!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Didn't you say your metal clip lockie-thingy doesn't stay in place, though?

This would annoy the heck out of me. Mine is TIGHT when it's on, even before I lock it in with the metal thingy. I always have to pound it a couple times to get it off!

No it stays in place. It only mves if I sweeze it to adjust the FF recline. I will have ot play with it some more. I know when I was trying to get a more upright install in my truck if I got it to where I wanted it the boot would slip off. The seat was tight, but the boot was no longer attached.

Defrost

No it stays in place. It only mves if I sweeze it to adjust the FF recline. I will have ot play with it some more. I know when I was trying to get a more upright install in my truck if I got it to where I wanted it the boot would slip off. The seat was tight, but the boot was no longer attached.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought you couldn't use the FF recline with the boot? And when you say you squeeze it, do you mean the bar right under the adjuster strap that moves the FF recline up & down? Because that's not the metal clip I'm talking about.

Sorry. :eek: I hate not having the right name for things!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Wait, I'm confused. I thought you couldn't use the FF recline with the boot? And when you say you squeeze it, do you mean the bar right under the adjuster strap that moves the FF recline up & down? Because that's not the metal clip I'm talking about.

Sorry. :eek: I hate not having the right name for things!

You are correct you can't... I think we are both confused...LOL Yes, that is the bar. I am not sure what the metal thingy is you are talking about :scratcheshead:. My boot wil slide on and be secure, but will slip off when I am installing RF if I have it at a more upright angle. The bottom of my RN looks like this one. https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=16590/578.0.23853.0.0.0.0

Defrost

Defrost

To the OP - I'm sorry we're dragging your thread off-topic!

Here's my Radian boot. See the gold-colored metal clip midway across on the right? It's down now, in the putting on/taking off position.
IMG_1782.jpg

Now it's up, in the locked position:
IMG_1781.jpg

In the locked position, it slides into a notch on the base of the carseat, so unless it's sliding open, the boot *can't* come off, see? And if it is, you might be able to tighten it.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Gottach ;). Mine has that. I guess since I was just playing around I did not think to turn it :eek:. I bet I can get a more upright install now. It is on my list of things to do this week!!

Thank you so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC