Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carseat Crazy

Marathon vs. Fisher Price?

We're not in need of a convertible yet -- DS is only 22lbs and still has a while to go in his SafeSeat 1 -- but I like to research early.

I understand the Fisher Price something... is basically a Marathon minus a few features. What are those features, and how critical do people find them?

I'll need a seat that has a high RF weight, and high harness height for FF. DS is 22lbs at 9.5 months (8 months adjusted) and if he grows anything like his big sister, he'll be tall, too.

Thanks!

-Michelle

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Marathon vs. Fisher Price?

The FPVD is a downgraded version of the MA. It is still a great seat. ALhtough the only place that has it now is allbeebaby I belive as it has been discontinued and you may not be able to get parts if needed.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

FWIW, the FPSVD is being discontinued, so seats that are available now are pretty much older DOMs, and getting replacement parts for them may become an issue.

The FPSVD cannot be tethered RF, it has no built-in lock offs, the FF weight limit is lower (not a big deal unless your child is a bit on the overweight side), and the covers are not as nice as a Britax.

If you are wanting a higher RF weight limit, I'd look at the EfTA. It RF to 35 lbs, FF to 50 and has 17" top slot position, same as the MA and FPSVD.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The last seats made were in 9/2007, so if you're not going to be using it any time soon then you'll likely get a seat that's a year old already.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance has a taller shell and a higher RFing weight limit, and slightly taller top harness height for FFing as well. However, the FFing limit is 50 pounds rather than the 55 of the FPSVD and the 65 of the Marathon.

The Radian and the Recaros have high top slots and weight limits. The Radian RFs to 33 pounds and FFs to 65 pounds with 18" top slots, and the Recaros RF to 35 pounds and FF to 70 pounds with 19" top slots. So those can be on your radar as well.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

Thanks! This was very helpful.

I'm thinking we may get a Radian 65, because it folds, and that will be helpful for air travel (we do at least 2 trips a year, and will start doing more if/when we relocate) and then an evenflo advance for the other car, for the cost savings.

Grandma will get a scenera :-)

Thanks!

Michelle

Carseat Crazy

We got MA for the girls. One of them might need the higher weight limit as she is chunky and I also liked the cover options, couldn't resist. Our first choice the Radian Princess cover ofcourse did not work as I could not get a good install and I thought it would be a bear to take out and install in different situations. Anna

Quote Originally Posted by mdsvc89 View Post
    Thanks! This was very helpful.

I'm thinking we may get a Radian 65, because it folds, and that will be helpful for air travel (we do at least 2 trips a year, and will start doing more if/when we relocate) and then an evenflo advance for the other car, for the cost savings.

Grandma will get a scenera :-)

Thanks!

Michelle
    A Radian will not fit rear facing on a plane. However, it's a GREAT forward facing travel seat. What you could for now is when you travel take the Scenera from Grandma's car. It's lightweight and installs easily. Then when baby goes FFing in 11 pounds you can then start taking the Radian with you. It's just too big front to back to fit on a plane RFing, and it has a removable foot that must be used RFing, and I'd be paranoid about losing that somewhere along the travels. Mine falls off as you move the seat around to install and uninstall it.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    and I'd be paranoid about losing that somewhere along the travels. Mine falls off as you move the seat around to install and uninstall it.
    Wendy, that foot should NOT be falling off. Ours is always very well secured. Are you pushing the little metal notch to lock it in place?
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

I shove it on as far as possible. But I only use it when I'm trying out seats, so I'm pulling the seat every which way constantly. I shove it into the bight and then pull it out, move it left and right.... If I was just leaving it installed it wouldn't be a problem in the least.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

I shove it on as far as possible. But I only use it when I'm trying out seats, so I'm pulling the seat every which way constantly. I shove it into the bight and then pull it out, move it left and right.... If I was just leaving it installed it wouldn't be a problem in the least.

Wendy
    That's the only way I use my Radian RF, too, though, and I've never had it even budge. After you shove it in as far as possible, you know there's a little metal clip you push in that locks the foot onto the carseat?
    Debbie, CPST-I

I don't think I do. The first one I had (DOM 10/05) didn't have that. The harness went around the outside of the foot and helped hold it on. So when I got the new one (DOM 3/07) I assumed they had just fixed that somehow but that I just didn't care enough about locking it on to get it tight enough. I'm looking at the manual now and I see the metal tab you're talking about. I've not used that before.

Almost three years I've been on this CPS boat, and I'm still learning stuff about the seats I've owned for years. LOL

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

I don't think I do. The first one I had (DOM 10/05) didn't have that. The harness went around the outside of the foot and helped hold it on. So when I got the new one (DOM 3/07) I assumed they had just fixed that somehow but that I just didn't care enough about locking it on to get it tight enough. I'm looking at the manual now and I see the metal tab you're talking about. I've not used that before.

Almost three years I've been on this CPS boat, and I'm still learning stuff about the seats I've owned for years. LOL

Wendy
    LOL! I figured it had to be something like that - I didn't realize it was a "new" feature and I was afraid maybe there something wrong with your seat.
    Debbie, CPST-I

Debbie...My boot will slide off if I try to hard to get a upright install. It does not snap on well. DOM 3/07.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by azgirl71 View Post
    Debbie...My boot will slide off if I try to hard to get a upright install. It does not snap on well. DOM 3/07.
    Didn't you say your metal clip lockie-thingy doesn't stay in place, though?

This would annoy the heck out of me. Mine is TIGHT when it's on, even before I lock it in with the metal thingy. I always have to pound it a couple times to get it off!
    Debbie, CPST-I

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Didn't you say your metal clip lockie-thingy doesn't stay in place, though?

This would annoy the heck out of me. Mine is TIGHT when it's on, even before I lock it in with the metal thingy. I always have to pound it a couple times to get it off!
    No it stays in place. It only mves if I sweeze it to adjust the FF recline. I will have ot play with it some more. I know when I was trying to get a more upright install in my truck if I got it to where I wanted it the boot would slip off. The seat was tight, but the boot was no longer attached.
    Lisa - CPSTI

No it stays in place. It only mves if I sweeze it to adjust the FF recline. I will have ot play with it some more. I know when I was trying to get a more upright install in my truck if I got it to where I wanted it the boot would slip off. The seat was tight, but the boot was no longer attached.
    Wait, I'm confused. I thought you couldn't use the FF recline with the boot? And when you say you squeeze it, do you mean the bar right under the adjuster strap that moves the FF recline up & down? Because that's not the metal clip I'm talking about.

Sorry. I hate not having the right name for things!
    Debbie, CPST-I

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. I thought you couldn't use the FF recline with the boot? And when you say you squeeze it, do you mean the bar right under the adjuster strap that moves the FF recline up & down? Because that's not the metal clip I'm talking about.

Sorry. I hate not having the right name for things!
    You are correct you can't... I think we are both confused...LOL Yes, that is the bar. I am not sure what the metal thingy is you are talking about . My boot wil slide on and be secure, but will slip off when I am installing RF if I have it at a more upright angle. The bottom of my RN looks like this one. https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa....23853.0.0.0.0
    Lisa - CPSTI

You are correct you can't... I think we are both confused...LOL Yes, that is the bar. I am not sure what the metal thingy is you are talking about . My boot wil slide on and be secure, but will slip off when I am installing RF if I have it at a more upright angle. The bottom of my RN looks like this one. https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa....23853.0.0.0.0
    Grabbing camera, BBIAF...
    Debbie, CPST-I

To the OP - I'm sorry we're dragging your thread off-topic!

Here's my Radian boot. See the gold-colored metal clip midway across on the right? It's down now, in the putting on/taking off position.

Now it's up, in the locked position:

In the locked position, it slides into a notch on the base of the carseat, so unless it's sliding open, the boot *can't* come off, see? And if it is, you might be able to tighten it.
    Debbie, CPST-I

Gottach . Mine has that. I guess since I was just playing around I did not think to turn it . I bet I can get a more upright install now. It is on my list of things to do this week!!

Thank you so much!
    Lisa - CPSTI