Proper cleaning & maintenance of a car seat

L

living

Proper cleaning & maintenance of a car seat

I do a lot of work w/children & use several different size car seats (the size depending upon the age/size of child I am transporting). How do you clean the fabric portion of the car seat? Can you throw it in the washer & dryer? Or will that shrink? I can't find a care label anywhere on the car seats & need to know before I ruin them trying to clean them.

ADS
C

Cherie

Proper cleaning and maintenance

I have three different car seats/booster seats. The cleaning directions are in the owner's manuals. All three (FP Safe Embrace HBBooster, Quest booster/fivepoint harness, and FP Futura 20/60) say that the cover can be removed and washed in cool water on the gentle cycle. For drying one says to hang up to dry, one say to dry on low setting and one says to dry on the air/fluff(no heat) setttin.

I have always washed them in the washer in lukewarm water and hung them over a wooden drying rack to dry.

I wipe down the shell with a damp sponge or wash cloth made damp with water with a little dish soap in it. If the straps are soiled I wipe them with a cloth with plain water.

**Just be careful to pay close attention to how you take it apart, so you can get it back together properly if you don't have the owner's manual. You can probably get owners manuals for the seats by calling the company.

I pay special attention to the buckles and so on to make sure they are clean and free of sticky stuff and crumbs.

Cherie

C

Caviller

Great advice

If no instructions are available, and calling the manufacturer is not practical, err on the side of caution.

Hand wash or Machine Wash on the gentle cycle in cold or warm water. Use a very mild detergent like Woolite. Hang to air-dry.

Avoid the use of strong detergents, bleaches or any other additives. If you must machine dry, do so on the gentlest cycle at low or no heat.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC