Marathon or Nautilus, please vote!

MA or Nauti?

• Marathon

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Nautilus

Votes: 43 82.7%

• Total voters

ZephyrBlue

I'm buying my 5yo a new seat. Her stats are: 39.5" tall, 14" torso and 31lbs fully dressed.

Should I buy a Nautilus or Marathon? Please vote and share your opinon with me :)

BTW- she loves her 7.5yo sisters Nauti, and really wants a pretty cover like a Mariposa or Ashley floral MA :rolleyes: Oh, and I wouldn't use the Nautilus as a booster after she outgrows the harness (which, based on the size of my children, will be when she goes to college ;) ), we'd buy it strictly for the harness. And the cupholder, which she covets on her sister's seat.

And we will be buying a Frontier for her when it makes it's debut, whenever that is. If we bought her the MA to last until then, I'd probably sell it to help pay for the Frontier. If we buy the Nauti, I think we'd probably keep it since it would be a great all-kid spare seat.

ETA- I need to decide and buy something quickly. She's currently riding in the Cargo and her sister's Nautilus, while her sister is riding in the Vivo Lite. And my DS is in the Cargo/Nauti, too, while I wait for the Britax sale. I really shouldn't have sold BOTH of their primary seats at the same time, DOH!

Last edited:
ADS

TerisBoys

Having had both seats, I honestly think the Nauti will give you the most bang for your buck. It's harness slots are higher and it just seems more 'big kid' like. I bought a MA when Ryan was just turned 3yo - sold it less than 6 months later because he simply didn't have as much grow room as I'd have liked. http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/terib/ryan/wmg-carseat.htm - bottom picture. He was right AT the second to top slots.

He's actually got the same amount of growth room in the Nauti now - 2 years later!

Another option would be to wait for the TrueFit and see what it's like - it has a girly cover.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I voted for the Nautilus. DS is in a MA but we bought it when he was a year old. I wouldn't buy one now b/c it will likely be outgrown soon. So, between those two choices, I'd go with the Nautilus.

amyg530

ok i'll be the odd ball. i normally wouldnt suggest a MA for 2 5yo but shes about the same size as my 2 1/2 yo. the soft covers play a big factor in that b/c i cant stand annoying fabric on my skin

I'd vote GN because you are looking to buy another soon, and she is 5, therefore her "friends" may not be in a baby seat, and the GN is less baby like. Also you would get 6 years use from it based on her size, i doubt you would get the full 6 years of the MA.

labdogs42

ok i'll be the odd ball. i normally wouldnt suggest a MA for 2 5yo but shes about the same size as my 2 1/2 yo. the soft covers play a big factor in that b/c i cant stand annoying fabric on my skin

But, they have two new seat covers now and one of them looks soft (but I haven't seen it in person). I'd go GN.

Kat_Momof3

I voted Nautilus.

Even though it may expire before she's out of a booster, the taller top slots and the fact that she doesn't need a rearfacing seat made the decision for me.

I think keeping her harnessed as long as possible without overkill is essential. I could see the Regent, for instance, being a seat that would never be right for her... as she's smaller, but the Nautilus would harness her as long as possible without looking like it was swallowing her and also let her move to a booster at a reasonable age.

I voted Nautilus.

Even though it may expire before she's out of a booster, the taller top slots and the fact that she doesn't need a rearfacing seat made the decision for me.

I think keeping her harnessed as long as possible without overkill is essential. I could see the Regent, for instance, being a seat that would never be right for her... as she's smaller, but the Nautilus would harness her as long as possible without looking like it was swallowing her and also let her move to a booster at a reasonable age.

:yeahthat:

You already know that she likes it and I think the GN would be fine for her at this point. I was able to try my DD1 in the GN a couple days ago and liked enough to buy it :). I haven't tried DD2 in it (similar stats to your 5yo). I see no reason to buy the MA now for her when the GN would last longer and then be a good spare, as you said. Not sure what to tell you about the girly cover . . .

ZephyrBlue

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to go with the Nautilus. I really do like the seat, and she loves it. I really really want the softer cover from BRU/TRU- does anyone know if it'll be early March or late March before they get them? I called today and the guy in baby gear said it's not in his system and they never know what they're getting or when.

melniemi

I say marathon because I like it better, feel it is comfier and better quality and since you will likely get rid of it in a year or so, why not?:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC