New US SIP regulation starting July?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I haven't heard of any SIP requirements going into effect in the U.S. We should contact the reporter to ask for more details, eh?

crunchierthanthou

I don't know if I trust the accuracy of the details. Britax and Recaro (especially the models they listed) are very much US companies. Plus, as far as we know, there isn't any hard data on the SIP of those seats. I'd be interested to find out where his info is coming from.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I have not heard anything about that. I find the article interesting since they say
No American manufacturers yet make this newer style seat, though several say they may after new Government guidelines are in place in July.

But three European companies already offer side impact protection.

Britax sells the "Companion" infant seat and "Diplomat," Boulevard," "Monarch," and Parkway" seats for older children.

Peg Perego sells the "Primo Viaggio" infant seat.
Recaro sells the "Como" and "Signo" infant and childrens seats.
:scratcheshead: I guess they do not know you can get these seats in the US.

crunchierthanthou

I guess they do not know you can get these seats in the US.

it says "You'll find them at higher end children's stores, and some discount stores, for between $150 and 250 dollars. Sure, you'll pay more. But to some parents, its worth it."

which is an uninformed statement and a frustrating viewpoint to me. They are available for sale in the US because they meet FMVSS standards. That's like telling people that you need to import a seat at high cost (which isn't approved for use) in order for your children to be safe. :thumbsdown:

Jeanum

Staff member
The article is pretty vague on the details as to whether the regulation applies to child restraints or to vehicles. Maybe it's a reference to NHTSA phasing in side curtain airbags as standard vehicle equipment in the U.S. :confused: I sent the reporter a friendly e-mail requesting more details about the regulation he indicates is going into effect in July, and whether it pertains to child safety seats or to side curtain airbags in vehicles. I mentioned I'm a child passenger safety technician who wants to know more and share with colleagues at car-seat.org, so let's all be nice. :)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
it says "You'll find them at higher end children's stores, and some discount stores, for between $150 and 250 dollars. Sure, you'll pay more. But to some parents, its worth it."

which is an uninformed statement and a frustrating viewpoint to me. They are available for sale in the US because they meet FMVSS standards. That's like telling people that you need to import a seat at high cost (which isn't approved for use) in order for your children to be safe. :thumbsdown:

I agree! :thumbsdown: to them.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The article is pretty vague on the details as to whether the regulation applies to child restraints or to vehicles. Maybe it's a reference to NHTSA phasing in side curtain airbags as standard vehicle equipment in the U.S. :confused: I sent the reporter a friendly e-mail requesting more details about the regulation he indicates is going into effect in July, and whether it pertains to child safety seats or to side curtain airbags in vehicles. I mentioned I'm a child passenger safety technician who wants to know more and share with colleagues at car-seat.org, so let's all be nice. :)

Maybe it does have to do with side airbag requirements. I am looking forward to hearing what they say. Thanks for emailing :thumbsup:.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

I totally agree. These seats are not just for people who shop for expensive children's products, or who are willing to use "foreign" seats. People buy those AOE seats all the time, and they cost not *that* much more than a MA.

I don't think they researched the article very well, either. :thumbsdown: It says -

"But three European companies already offer side impact protection.

Britax sells the "Companion" infant seat and "Diplomat," Boulevard," "Monarch," and Parkway" seats for older children.

Peg Perego sells the "Primo Viaggio" infant seat.
Recaro sells the "Como" and "Signo" infant and childrens seats.
You'll find them at higher end children's stores, and some discount stores, for between $150 and 250 dollars."

So, where are they finding the BLVD/Signo for less than $250? And where was the Parkway NOT less than $150??

Jeanum

Staff member

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Nodding in agreement. I'll post an update if I hear back from the reporter. I honestly think we've figured it out already and it applies to new vehicles going forward, with no new regulation coming up for side impact protection in child restraints, or at least none in the works yet.

Thanks. I agree weh ave our answer, but am still looking forward to the rely you get. It will be interesting to see if they know sinve the article was a little off.

southpawboston

not to take this O/T, but this sentence caught my eye in the new regulation (bolding by me):

This rulemaking would require in FMVSS No. 214 a vehicle-to-pole oblique impact test to reduce the number of fatal and serious head injuries, which are not addressed in FMVSS No. 201.

i wonder if the US is adopting something like what euroNCAP already has. we have a NHTSA side impact test and an IIHS side impact test, and euroNCAP has a similar side impact test. in addition, they have a "pole" test where they collide a pole into the side of the car, which mimicks slamming the car sideways into a tree (i always thought that europe had this test because there are still so many tree-lined roads).

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
not to take this O/T, but this sentence caught my eye in the new regulation (bolding by me):

i wonder if the US is adopting something like what euroNCAP already has. we have a NHTSA side impact test and an IIHS side impact test, and euroNCAP has a similar side impact test. in addition, they have a "pole" test where they collide a pole into the side of the car, which mimicks slamming the car sideways into a tree (i always thought that europe had this test because there are still so many tree-lined roads).

Possible. I guess we can only wait and see what happens.

crunchierthanthou

It's a yahoo group.

The home of the CPS List, where manufacturers of vehicles and child safety restraints meet with Child Passenger Safety Practitioners, sharing knowledge and information to keep children safe in vehicles.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC