Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member libranbutterfly's Avatar

What Would You Do?

I have a car safety WWYD question.

I have two cars that are having some problems, DH and my dad want to consolidate them into one working car. They are arguing on the best way to do it. The engine and body style are the same. Here are the stats

Yr. 1987 1993
    Make Olds. Olds.
    Model 98 98
    Tethers No Yes
    Insurance No Yes
    Registration No Yes
    Mileage 100,000 251000

The 1987 model has been sitting for a couple years, and we *think* all it needs is a fuel pump. It can not be retrofitted with tethers. We would also need to switch out the driver seat, since the previous owner broke the seat. To get this car insured, we will have to pay my parents back taxes on all of their vehicles, and switch it into our name.

The 1993 model transmission is going out, it currently runs at extremely high RPMs, especially when going over 50 MPH. We have one tether installed, and have the part number for the others. The insurance and registration is current on this car, it is already in our name.

So.What would you do? Ill wait a little while before I post whos opinion is whose.
    Jeneca
    Mom to
    Kamille (8) Booster,
    Alexis (6) Booster &
    Rayne (1) ERF in a Scenera for now

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Re: What Would You Do?

Heh, I'm a mechanic because I listen to Click and Clack on the radio .

I would take the transmission from the '87 and put it into the '93 because transmissions are a snap to install .

Thanks. That is what we were thinking, but my dad is woried about the number of miles on the 93
    Jeneca
    Mom to
    Kamille (8) Booster,
    Alexis (6) Booster &

I would take the parts you need out of the 87 and put them into the 93. IMO, the fact that it is currently registered, newer, and is child restraint friendly, more than make up for the high miles. You have a car sitting there with all the parts that are affected by high miles, so I wouldn't worry about the high miles. (my truck has 371,000kms and is still going strong ! ). The low miler is just sitting there waiting to be parted out.

Thanks. I am glad people on here are agreeing with us. My dad is being kindof stubborn, so hopefully he will let us get the parts soon
    Jeneca
    Mom to
    Kamille (8) Booster,
    Alexis (6) Booster &