Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Member newDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    24

    Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Hello Folks,

    I have the Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat.

    http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B0011...odeid=16340361

    I am wondering if I need to install it with the base. My toddler is 18 months old, 21 inches, and 29 lbs. What dictates whether to install with the base?

    Also, my daughter is having trouble sitting comfortably in it. When I put her in the seat, she seems to slouch in it. For some reason the headrest part sticks out, compared to the seat and lower back part. Therefore, she almost forced to sit with her head leaning forward. This is extremely uncomfortable for her.

    I'm not sure if I should raise the headrest part of will that make the side wings for her head not usable?

    The car seat is rear facing and I'm not sure why they make the head rest part protruding so much.

    Also, the strap to hold the car seat into the car hooks between the crack of the seat is supposed to be installed in front of the buckle. This seems to cause the buckle to be too tight for baby. She doesn't like it at all.

    One other thing, the instructions say that the car seat should be reclined all the way when rear facing. Is it possible or safe to not have it recline at all?

    Does anyone have any experience with this car seat?

    Thanks,
    newDad
    I'm still a new Dad, as baby is now (15) 18 mths...YIKERS. I'm trying to be a progressive Dad whereby I spend as much time getting my hands into the nitty-gritty of baby.

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Technician CDNTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    From your other post, I'm guessing this seat is new... Please consider returning it. It is *not* the only seat you will ever need, it will most likely *not* get your daughter to booster age (most outgrow it by 3 yrs old) and it does *not* make a nice booster.

    If you bought it from Sears, you won't have any problems returning it, they are fantastic to deal with. If you just want to do an exchange, consider the Evenflo Triumph *Advance*... also sold at Sears ($145).

    It has an infinite adjust harness and a unique recline that makes it take up much less room front to back than other seats. This means more leg room for front seat passengers.

    It rear faces to 30lbs and then forward faces to 47lbs and it *will* harness your daughter to age 5 or beyond, which is a good booster age.

    To answer your original questions...
    1. You do not need to install it with the base, in fact, we generally recommend removing the base and using a pool noodle or rolled towel to achieve an appropriate recline angle... anywhere between 30 and 45 degrees is fine for your daughter.

    2. You can NOT raise the headrest... doing this will raise the harness straps and they *need* to be at or below her shoulders for rear facing. The headrest protrudes because of the way the harness heights adjust, it can not be changed.

    3. You *must* follow your manual on the placement of the buckle... it can not be moved.

    4. The carseat must be in the manual recline mode... meaning all the way reclined with the base on OR if the base is off, make sure the foot prop is in the up position for rear facing use. After this, you can install the seat anywhere between a 30 - 45 degree angle for your daughter. Pushing on the front of the seat will make it more upright and pushing on the bum of the seat will make it more reclined when installing it.

    ETA: If you do want to return it in favour of another seat, the three Canadian seats I would look at would be...
    Evenflo Triumph Advance (make sure it's the advance, not the regular triumph) (~$145)
    Britax Marathon (~$300)
    Sunshine Kids Radian (~$229)

    If you post your vehicle year/make/model we can tell you if any of these will not work in your vehicle.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

    DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

  4. #3
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SouthEast US
    Posts
    3,202

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    She should be rearfacing, and rearfacing, you can install w/OR w/o the base. It's MUCH easier to install w/o the base, esp if you use 2-3 pool noodles under the feet area. Just make sure that the forward facing "foot" is not extended in rearfacing mode. It's probably not reclined enough for her, that's why her head is being pushed forward. For a toddler, the seat can be upright as much as 30 degrees (and yes, it still must be used in "recline" mode if the base is on--that's not optional on any rearfacing seat). Without the base on, the seat only installs in "recline" mode unless you have the foot extended for forward facing.

    The harness slot height adjusts *with* the headrest height. You can not change them independently. If the shoulder harness height is correct, then the headrest height is also correct. For rearfacing, the shoulder harness slots should be *at or below* her shoulders, not above. You want the slots that are closest to the tops of her shoulders w/o going over.

    Double check and make sure the fabric cover on the headrest hasn't gotten bunched up under the plastic headrest--it's easy to put it back together bunched up after washing the cover or the manufacturer might not have gotten it on evenly.

    You can change the buckle's position on this seat, so I'd try that for the buckle.

    As for this seat and experience, I am not a tech, but I have lots of experience w/this seat. It's definitely my least favorite of all b/c it's the most difficult to install rearfacing and b/c there are better seats on the market for the same amount of money or only slightly more. However, the harness adjusts nicely and it lasts rearfacing a long time (high weight limit rf'ing and fairly tall)

    hths

    henrietta

  5. #4
    CPST/Firefighter Judi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Oregon
    Posts
    14,313

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    I just installed one of these this week. I also did not like that the childs head was pushed forward. I would return in. Also, unless your child is 34" tall, they can not forward face it that seat, or any Cosco0Safetly 1st product.

  6. #5
    CPS Fanatic Mama!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Yeah, as the former owner of one of those seats, PLEASE return it if you can.

    There are so many issues with that seat, plus the highest slot on the back is for BOOSTER use only. My 2.5 yr old is too tall to use the harness on that seat. He is also too tallto RF in it.

    PLEASE return it. It is not a wonderful seat.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

  7. #6
    Member newDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    24

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post

    ETA: If you do want to return it in favour of another seat, the three Canadian seats I would look at would be...
    Evenflo Triumph Advance (make sure it's the advance, not the regular triumph) (~$145)
    Britax Marathon (~$300)
    Sunshine Kids Radian (~$229)

    If you post your vehicle year/make/model we can tell you if any of these will not work in your vehicle.


    My vehicle is a 2003 Honda CRV.

    Thanks for the advice all,
    newDad
    I'm still a new Dad, as baby is now (15) 18 mths...YIKERS. I'm trying to be a progressive Dad whereby I spend as much time getting my hands into the nitty-gritty of baby.

  8. #7
    Member newDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    24

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    How about the following car seats?


    Graco® 'Comfortsport' Convertible Car Seat
    http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000Q...odeid=16342041

    Safety 1st® 'Enspira' Convertible Car Seat
    http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000L...odeid=16342051

    Evenflo Titan® Deluxe Car Seat
    http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B0010...odeid=16342051

    The sears Canada site does not show the Evenflo Triumph Advance. Maybe they have it in-store, and don't show it online.

    I'm still a new Dad, as baby is now (15) 18 mths...YIKERS. I'm trying to be a progressive Dad whereby I spend as much time getting my hands into the nitty-gritty of baby.

  9. #8
    Moderator - CPST Instructor
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,294

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by newDad View Post
    The sears Canada site does not show the Evenflo Triumph Advance. Maybe they have it in-store, and don't show it online.
    Hi,

    Here is the thread where members have spotted the EFTA (Evenflo Triumph Advance) http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33524 If you are ordering on-line, it is now available on TRU website.

    Personally, from the list of carseats you posted, the only one that I would suggest is the EFTA if you would like one that last longer. The Enspira, Titan Deluxe and Comfortsport have max. weight limit of 40 lbs and low top harness slots.

    A child outgrows a carseat by either height or weight, whichever is reached first.

    By weight, in Canada all convertible carseats have 30 lbs rf limit and the Britax Marathon, Sunshine Kids Radian have ff weight limit of 65 lbs, EFTA of 47 lbs and the rest are 40 lbs. If you were to buy one with 40 lbs limit, you then have to buy another harnessed seat for her when she is 40 lbs or putting her in a booster when she is too young and too immature to sit correctly in a booster (with the seatbelt as the only safety device)

    By height, a child outgrows the carseat when rf if the top of the head is less than 1" from the top of the carseat and outgrows when ff when the tip of the ears is higher than the top of the carseat OR when the shoulders are higher than the top harness slots.

    So you can see for a carseat to last longer, it needs to have higher weight limit and higher top harness slots and seatback.

    The Sunshine Kids Radian has the highest top harness slots, follows by the EFTA, then the Marathon and the rest are much shorter, including the 3-in-1s.

    Out of your list, the only one that would go the distance for you is the EFTA.

    Where in Ontario are you located? And welcome to the board!
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

    DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

  10. #9
    Member newDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    24

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by hipmaman View Post
    Hi,

    Here is the thread where members have spotted the EFTA (Evenflo Triumph Advance) http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33524 If you are ordering on-line, it is now available on TRU website.

    Personally, from the list of carseats you posted, the only one that I would suggest is the EFTA if you would like one that last longer. The Enspira, Titan Deluxe and Comfortsport have max. weight limit of 40 lbs and low top harness slots.

    A child outgrows a carseat by either height or weight, whichever is reached first.

    By weight, in Canada all convertible carseats have 30 lbs rf limit and the Britax Marathon, Sunshine Kids Radian have ff weight limit of 65 lbs, EFTA of 47 lbs and the rest are 40 lbs. If you were to buy one with 40 lbs limit, you then have to buy another harnessed seat for her when she is 40 lbs or putting her in a booster when she is too young and too immature to sit correctly in a booster (with the seatbelt as the only safety device)

    By height, a child outgrows the carseat when rf if the top of the head is less than 1" from the top of the carseat and outgrows when ff when the tip of the ears is higher than the top of the carseat OR when the shoulders are higher than the top harness slots.

    So you can see for a carseat to last longer, it needs to have higher weight limit and higher top harness slots and seatback.

    The Sunshine Kids Radian has the highest top harness slots, follows by the EFTA, then the Marathon and the rest are much shorter, including the 3-in-1s.

    Out of your list, the only one that would go the distance for you is the EFTA.

    Where in Ontario are you located? And welcome to the board!
    I am located in London, Ontario, just two hours south-west of Toronto.

    The Babies R Us site has the Evenflo Triumph Advance. I might return the EB one and get the Evenflo.

    The Triumph Adv is rated as: Rear-facing for infants 5-35 lbs.; forward-facing for toddlers 20-47 lbs.

    Is this a good one to get?

    The Britax would last longer, but not sure if she will be comfortable in it. Also, it's $299, but I guess if it lasts longer, it will help me hold off on buying another one when she grows.

    I'm still a new Dad, as baby is now (15) 18 mths...YIKERS. I'm trying to be a progressive Dad whereby I spend as much time getting my hands into the nitty-gritty of baby.

  11. #10
    CPS Technician CDNTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by newDad View Post
    I am located in London, Ontario, just two hours south-west of Toronto.

    The Babies R Us site has the Evenflo Triumph Advance. I might return the EB one and get the Evenflo.

    The Triumph Adv is rated as: Rear-facing for infants 5-35 lbs.; forward-facing for toddlers 20-47 lbs.

    Is this a good one to get?

    The Britax would last longer, but not sure if she will be comfortable in it. Also, it's $299, but I guess if it lasts longer, it will help me hold off on buying another one when she grows.

    It's a misprint... it only rear faces to 30lbs in Canada.

    The EF Triumph Advance will last longer than the Britax because it has a higher top harness position... your daughter will definitely be outgrowing seats by height before weight and will *not* need the extra weight limit of the Britax.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

    DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

  12. #11
    Member newDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    24

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post
    It's a misprint... it only rear faces to 30lbs in Canada.

    The EF Triumph Advance will last longer than the Britax because it has a higher top harness position... your daughter will definitely be outgrowing seats by height before weight and will *not* need the extra weight limit of the Britax.
    It only rear faces till 30 lbs? Geesh, I think she is already 29 lbs. Does that sound right?

    Or is that 21 lbs and 29 inches?!?!?! Geesh....I am getting sooo confused.

    I think I am going to run....no wait drive...no wait fly to the nearest Babies R Us and pick up a EF Triumph.

    Gotta run...DW is here.

    cheers,
    newDad
    I'm still a new Dad, as baby is now (15) 18 mths...YIKERS. I'm trying to be a progressive Dad whereby I spend as much time getting my hands into the nitty-gritty of baby.

  13. #12
    Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,156

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Just wanted to say I've seen the EFTA at Walmart now too. (I spotted it at the Super Centre at Eglinton/Warden in Toronto, but I don't think that does you much good Still, your local Walmart might be carrying it too.)

  14. #13
    CPS Technician tiggercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,343

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by newDad View Post
    It only rear faces till 30 lbs? Geesh, I think she is already 29 lbs. Does that sound right?

    Or is that 21 lbs and 29 inches?!?!?! Geesh....I am getting sooo confused.

    I think I am going to run....no wait drive...no wait fly to the nearest Babies R Us and pick up a EF Triumph.

    Gotta run...DW is here.

    cheers,
    newDad
    21lbs and 29 inches sounds closer, my kids were born at 21 and 22inches tall, respectively ;-)

    I also think the EFTA would be an excellent choice for you. Or the Marathon.

    Natalie
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).


  15. #14
    Member emilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    81

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by newDad View Post
    It only rear faces till 30 lbs? Geesh, I think she is already 29 lbs. Does that sound right?

    Or is that 21 lbs and 29 inches?!?!?! Geesh....I am getting sooo confused.

    I think I am going to run....no wait drive...no wait fly to the nearest Babies R Us and pick up a EF Triumph.

    Gotta run...DW is here.

    cheers,
    newDad
    My 16 month old is 29 lb. as well and have just turned him around in his Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 (but he's not 34" as he should be based on PP). We had it for our first, so we have kept it around for my second. My first outgrew it before three (in height and weight)! So then we had to buy another harnessed seat since he was obviously not ready for a booster. So we bought the Radian. It rear-faces very nicely in my car (since the boot makes it a breeze)!

    Good luck,
    Josephine April 2012- 20 lb. RF in Chaperone
    Carlyle 3.5 years- 41" tall and 40 lb. FF Frontier
    Augustus 6 years- 48" tall and 60 lb. in Monterey
    Theodore 8 years- 55" tall and 77 lb. in Monterey

  16. #15
    Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    13,952

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    I think you'll be pleased with the triumph advance. It's such a great price for a seat that will last so long.

    I'm in 100% agreement with the others to return the eddie bauer while you can.

    I can tell you that of all of these types of seats that have come through checks, I have never once heard a parent say they're happy with it - I think I've seen one or 2 of these seats where the parent is getting it checked just to make sure it's ok. All other parents always have had problems of one sort or another and have been coming in because they know it's not right but they can't figure out how to fix it, or because they couldn't get it right and so put the infant carrier back in until they could get help with it.

    And I can tell you that with how much I see the seat around here, it's the seat that's the problem... it's just hard to install, and the instructions can be confusing (although they've improved in the most recent revision.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    I just installed one of these this week. I also did not like that the childs head was pushed forward. I would return in. Also, unless your child is 34" tall, they can not forward face it that seat, or any Cosco0Safetly 1st product.
    In Canada the minimum ff'ing height requirement is 29".
    Last edited by snowbird25ca; 02-17-2008 at 03:46 AM.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.


  17. #16
    Forum Ambassador TechnoGranola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,068

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    In Canada the minimum ff'ing weight requirement is 29".
    height?

  18. #17
    Member emilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    81

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    And I can tell you that with how much I see the seat around here, it's the seat that's the problem... it's just hard to install, and the instructions can be confusing (although they've improved in the most recent revision.) :
    I found the manual impossible. Why can't put it all in order. I would get to page 14 and then have to start all over again. Ug, I have nightmares about how many time I put it in wrong before I figured out each mistake. Thank goodness we were never in an accident.


    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    In Canada the minimum ff'ing height requirement is 29".
    Yes, I checked this morning!
    Josephine April 2012- 20 lb. RF in Chaperone
    Carlyle 3.5 years- 41" tall and 40 lb. FF Frontier
    Augustus 6 years- 48" tall and 60 lb. in Monterey
    Theodore 8 years- 55" tall and 77 lb. in Monterey

  19. #18
    Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    13,952

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by technogranola View Post
    height?
    Thanks, yes, I meant height. (And I corrected the post.)
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.


  20. #19
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    are you seriously even considering put your child in a carseat propped up by pool noddles!!

  21. #20
    Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    29,008

    Re: Installing Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat?!?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    are you seriously even considering put your child in a carseat propped up by pool noddles!!
    Welcome.

    As per technicians, instructors, and carseat manufacturers, using pool noodles is an acceptable way to achieve the proper angle rear facing. You can also use a tightly rolled towel. Or even a tightly rolled sweatshirt in a pinch.

    Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

  22. Thank You from:


Similar Threads

  1. Eddie Bauer Deluxe 5pt booster
    By Unregistered in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 02:51 PM
  2. Help installing eddie bauer 3 in 1 in caravan
    By Unregistered in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 09:21 PM
  3. installing eddie bauer 3 in 1 in caravan
    By Unregistered in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 12:55 AM
  4. Eddie Bauer Deluxe Convertible?
    By i4get in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
  5. Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1
    By CDNTech in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 12:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •