Expecting twins . . . Need recommendations

B

belltwins

Hi,
My husband and I are expecting identical twins in May and are currently shopping for a new car. I think we'd prefer an SUV but are not set on anything in particular.

My litmus test is this:
I want to be able to fit the babies in the center and passenger outboard positions (rather than both outboard) as this is clearly safer. I want to be able to do this both when they are in infant car seats as well as later when they graduate to larger convertible/FF seats. So . . . I need a 2nd row bench that is wide enough for all of these combos in a center and outboard position.

We haven't bought carseats yet so I'm open to whatever combinations, although I do like both the Chicco KeyFit as well as the Britax Companion.

I drove the 2008 Toyota Sequoia last weekend and was kind of turned off--it was such a beast (I currently drive a wonderful Prius). I'd love a Highlander Hybrid but, unfortunately, it only comes with captain seats in the back (ugh!). I've looked at the Lexux GX 470 but can't tell if that would work as the 2nd row seemed a bit narrow.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Honda Pilot is a very safe option, and I was able to easily fit two Britax Marathons side-by-side in it (plus a Britax Roundabout 3-across with room to spare).

Crash tests:
IIHS
NHTSA

sirrahn

If you like Toyota and aren't totally opposed to a minivan, the 8 passenger Sienna would easily allow that set-up.

ktmo

We have a Chevy Tahoe and it can easily fit two seats side by side in the second row. It actually has LATCH in the passenger outboard, and the center (no lower anchors driver side). I have had a Marathon next to a Safeseat1 and I am sure I could get two Marathons next to each other. It is a beast, like the Sequoia, but it is rather nice.

I drive a Toyota Sienna (I know you don't want a minivan, I didn't either). We have a 7 passenger one with captain's chairs. You can put the captain chair's next to each other so one is in the center. My whole reason for going the minivan route, was power doors. I love being able to open the doors prior to getting to the car.

Katie

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We have the new MDX and it would work for your carseats being next to each other for sure! It is a great size as in it isn't huge but it has a lot of interior room. I :love: mine!

natysr

I'm curious to know how you will decide which twin gets the added safety of being in the middle? I couldn't imagine having to make that choice, so I would probably end up having both outboard.

Or, if you got something with a 3rd row, you could have both seats in the center. One in the 2nd row and one in the 3rd row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC