What seat is this?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Which one, the notches in the head area? Didn't apply to those newer seats, I don't think :) (that one is pretty new, I think it was the old gray shells with the notches?) But find that article and post it here! :)

CaseyRN

Wow that article was interesting. Thanks for the link! Glad they did away with the indentation since we bought a scenera 6 months ago!

Since I heard of the accident, i always strip new car seats and check out the shell, rub my hands down the back & sides, then put the cover back on and check for bumps...

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I have two tourivas with that same cover, and both have the hidden notch. Its scary.

Interesting! Do you know the dates of manufacture on yours with the notch? I have a Touriva with that cover, DOM June 06 that doesn't have notches. It would be interesting to try to narrow down when the shell change took place.

ProudMomof5

Interesting! Do you know the dates of manufacture on yours with the notch? I have a Touriva with that cover, DOM June 06 that doesn't have notches. It would be interesting to try to narrow down when the shell change took place.

One is 1/25/05 and the other is 5/25/05.
I am just glad someone pointed this out to me. I had NO clue!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
It's interesting that you have a Touriva with a DOM of 5/25/05 and it has the notch. I have one with a 5/10/05 DOM that came from Mercury Distributing and it doesn't have the notch. The shell inside is completely smooth. Obviously they were transitioning to the modified shells at that point but still had older shells with the notch that there were shipping out too.

I have pictures of an older Touriva shell with the notch somewhere. If I can find them, I'll post them.

Kecia

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Okay, found them. This Touriva was actually the OHS version which utilized the notch. Not sure what the DOM was but the seat was replaced at a check event and I destroyed it after I took the pics.

Kecia

Mommy090804

We have a Canadian Regal Ride DOM 01JUN2005 has the same three harness slots, and it has the "notches".:thumbsdown: It has been temporarily retired as a very spare seat if needed. I am incredibly annoyed at the whole situation. IMO, the seat wasn't that great and I was glad to find an "excuse" to buy DS a Radian Premier;)

ProudMomof5

What is the purpose of that notch anyway? I mean I guess it "kinda" makes sense with the OHS, but mine was not the OHS version.. it looks like there is absolutely NO reason for it at all.
Its just dumb.
Oh well, I don't care.... I wanted the pink sceneras anyway.

niccig

I think they re-use the shell model for the OHS and the non-OHS seat, so that's why the notch is there. I had one too, it was an August 2005 DOM. I cut it up using my heavy garden by-pass loppers. I was really surprised at how easy it was to cut the plastic between the harness slots. I used the same destruction technique with a 8 year old evenflo infant seat, and the plastic between the harness slots was more difficult to cut as it was thicker. I replaced the Touriva with a Como - that seat has it's issues, but I know that I can't cut it with my garden tools.

crunchierthanthou

What is the purpose of that notch anyway? I mean I guess it "kinda" makes sense with the OHS, but mine was not the OHS version.. it looks like there is absolutely NO reason for it at all.
Its just dumb.
Oh well, I don't care.... I wanted the pink sceneras anyway.

like the PPs said, they use the same shell for both OHS and 5 pt harness. Now they attach the shield arm to the outside lip of the shell instead of having notches. Here's a side view of a 5 pt scenera. The shield would connect to the large circle.

IMG_3564.jpg

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
FWIW, the Century Accel which later became the ComfortSport had similar notch issues. When Graco finally added EPS foam to the CS that masked the problem. However, if anyone has a pre-EPS foam ComfortSport or even an old Accel lying around they should peel back the cover and take a look at the sides of the shell near the head area.

Kecia

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC