ISO Fisher Price Futura

scatterbunny

My friend has a 21-month-old little boy who's already 40 pounds. Up until talking to me she thought a booster was her only option, even though the thought scared the daylights out of her. I have an Airway that she was going to buy, but after seeing how her and her husband install/use restraints, I'm thinking the Airway wouldn't be the best option. Does anyone have a Futura they'd be willing to part with?

ADS
E

elmteach

Cps Tech

Question 1: What about "how her and her husband install/use restraints" eliminates the Airway? Do they simply need more education on how to install or do you mean they are just hard on their seats?

Question 2: Even if you can find a Futura, it is already at least 4 years old and NHSTA recommends AGAINST used pre owned seats when the history of the seat is not known.

Question 3: Have they looked into BRITAX seats? All models allow harness to 65 pounds (Husky is higher). Yes, they're pricey, but if you aren't picky about color, there's some great deals online.

scatterbunny

Thanks for a reply. :)

Question 1: What about "how her and her husband install/use restraints" eliminates the Airway? Do they simply need more education on how to install or do you mean they are just hard on their seats?

They've been given the education, both by techs at the local health department and by myself. They simply choose to do what's easiest and cheapest for them, while still feeling good enough to them. I've known them since their oldest was 3-4 (she'll be 11 in October), when she was the only child they had. She rode in a regular vehicle seatbelt then, usually the center lapbelt. When that daughter was 5, they had a second daughter who rode in an Evenflo infant seat until her head literally hung over the top, despite the fact that my own daughter, six months younger than their middle child, had moved to a convertible already, and despite the fact that I tried to pass on the correct information. Eventually they moved her into a garage sale overhead shield convertible that was never installed properly unless I installed it (both parents work, so kids are with grandparents/aunts/babysitters often). That daughter was short and heavy and became very uncomfortable in the overhead shield, and finally the grandparents bought her a new Evenflo Chase, much to my relief. Unfortunately, they just passed the overhead shield seat onto the third baby, the boy who is now 40 pounds. And for some reason, even though the 4.5 year old girl is still within both the harnessed height and weight of the Chase, she is now riding in what looks to me like an old Century bpb--one with a 60 pound weight limit. :(

It's safe to say that whatever harnessed seat the 21 month old ends up with, it's GOT to be simple to use, or the parents won't use it correctly. I've owned the Airway for a couple of years now, and I feel it is very difficult to use properly unless you are 100% committed to taking the time, each and every time, to adjust the harness properly. Even after I showed them how to loosen/tighten the Airway harness, they could not do it satisfactorily.

Question 2: Even if you can find a Futura, it is already at least 4 years old and NHSTA recommends AGAINST used pre owned seats when the history of the seat is not known.

Yes, I know. I'm hoping one of the techs or regulars that I've posted with for a couple of years, that I trust, will have a seat to spare for a reasonable price. Brand-new harnessed seats for a child this size are just not viable options for this family. They only need something to harness him for 2 years, 3 years at the most. I have two choices: either help them find a reasonably-priced harnessed seat that they will use correctly or allow a not-quite-2yo to move into a bpb.

Question 3: Have they looked into BRITAX seats? All models allow harness to 65 pounds (Husky is higher). Yes, they're pricey, but if you aren't picky about color, there's some great deals online.

Their only exposure to Britax has been through me--I own a Husky for my 4yo, and we love it. I've given them all the information, but they simply cannot afford the cost of Britax, even at special internet prices. Their budget for a new seat is only about $75. When I thought I could teach them to use the Airway properly, I was going to sell it to them for $50. I just could not, in good conscience, let that boy ride around in the Airway. I know MY daughter is perfectly safe in it, because I know that I'm capable of installing and using it correctly, but I know the little boy would not be that safe. I really do think the Husky is what they need for a child that size (we got it for my 2.5 year old who was about 35 pounds at the time), but they will not spend the money for one. I also think the Futura or Marathon is the better choice simply because they children are in other vehicles quite often.

Again, thank you for the interest in my post.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC