Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

I saved a BIG carseat mistake today

DS#2 had mommy and me day at PreK today. DH was dropping me off, as DS#1 was getting out of K before DS#2 and I would be done. One of the mom's of a girl in DS#1's class was giving her baby, I think he is about 3 months old, to a young girl. I imagine to babysit since it was mommy and me day, and she probably didn't want any distractions. DH saw the exchange and told me I better watch the carseat install the young girl was doing. She was putting the infant seat in the backseat of her car, FORWARD FACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't not say anything. I got out of the car, I had to go in to DS#1's class anyway, and I asked her if she was doing ok with the install? She said yes, and I said that I just wanted to make sure she was just setting the carseat in the car forward facing while she got the seatbelt ready, as it is a rear-facing only carseat. She said no, she didn't know it couldn't be forward facing and asked if I could help her. Being that I am 9 months PG and it is is a 2 door car, I asked if she would mind if my DH helped her. So I got DH to install the seat for her. She didn't have the base for it, it was just an infant seat. But I was SO shocked at how irresponsible the mom was being, not making sure that her baby was properly installed in the car. I am sure she assumed the girl knew what she was doing, but if it was my baby, I would have installed the seat myself. I typically wouldn't say anything, but I just couldn't let it go.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I saved a BIG carseat mistake today

that is scary! I'd never have trusted anyone who didn't have their own SnugRide to install mine, base or not!

In fact, I don't trust 99% of people who do own the same seat to install it correctly.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Quote Originally Posted by keri1292 View Post

In fact, I don't trust 99% of people who do own the same seat to install it correctly.
    Same here

Sarah, Mommy to J-7/96 seatbelt , L-11/97 seatbelt , K-7/00 seatbelt (she's 5'3!) & I-5/02 Britax Frontier and Child Passenger Safety Tech since 3/02!!

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Good for you for stepping up and saying something, helping out the babysitter! How young was she? Maybe she didn't know any better, and felt silly asking for help? No excuse, but just wondering about the mindset of someone who would not know any better than to install an infant seat FF.

Do you know the mother well? I'd possibly say something to her.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

. I am glad you were able to help her. I hope she will gain a little interest into CPS .
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

I remember back in the late 80's, I was babysitting a family and was suppose to take the kids somewhere. The mom left me a shield booster to use, but I had no clue how it worked. She just assumed I knew. I think I figured out how to make it work (it was in my VW Bug with only lapbelts), but I really wish the mother would have showed me how to use it initially.

OMG good for you! And that was great your hubby was willing to help her out!

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    Good for you for stepping up and saying something, helping out the babysitter! How young was she? Maybe she didn't know any better, and felt silly asking for help? No excuse, but just wondering about the mindset of someone who would not know any better than to install an infant seat FF.

Do you know the mother well? I'd possibly say something to her.

I am guessing, by looking at her and her voice, she was early 20s. I would bet she had no idea. I really felt the mom was irresponsible to not make sure she knew how to install it.
    I don't know the mom well enough to feel comfy to say something to her. I wish I did.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

Its really pathetic a mom just hands her baby over to someone without a thought of her ability to install a seat. I wouldnt let a young girl drive my kid, let alone let her install my seat. UGH. Doesn't surprise me but its just sad. Good job for helping!
    Jessica, mama to Jordyn (8) in a backless

and Madisyn & Kingston (2 yrs) in Britax

Senior Community Member Mattkarn's Avatar

Thats scary!! Even before I became obsessed with car seats, I read the directions on the side of the seat, always had a tight install, and tightened the harness with chest clip correct.
    Mommy to Nathan, 5/2014
    riding rear facing in a Graco 4Ever, Chicco Nextfit and Britax Boulevard

CPS Technician stayinhomewithmy6's Avatar

That is scary! I'm just curious - how was the baby strapped in to the seat? If the mom didn't care enough to make sure the seat was installed properly, I'd be really surprised if the baby was actually in the seat correctly.
    SAHM to my silly six: X (12, seatbelt), R (11, seatbelt), E (9, Evenflo Amp),
    Z (6, Frontier 85 in booster mode), G (4, FF TFP) and M (2, RF Pavilion)

Oh wow! Thats just scary.. I dont let ANYONE install my daughters carseat but ME!

There are only a handful of people I let install our seats. We are lucky to have friends/nannies that have taken it seriously!

One of my best friends used to work at a daycare and would babysit some of the kids there after hours. She called me one day and said she needed help before taking a one of the kids again. They had left the child and the seat and told her just to buckle it in. From keeping our boys she knew the seat had to be in tight but couldn't remember how to do it. She used all THREE seat belts trying to buckle the seat in.