car seat in a wreck

2MARTINS

car seat in a wreck

my husband was rear-ended, and it wasn't just a little tap, so we replaced the car seat that my son was rising in at the time, of course. everything i have ever read anywhere about car seat safety insists on this.

the metro lawyer (my husband was hit by an on-duty metro employee) insists that we should give them the car seat if they have to pay for it, so they can use it!!! they want to give it to a poor family with no car seat. while i applaud the idea of giving poor families car seats, i have a big problem with the idea of giving them damaged car seats. the guy says, we can look and see if it is damaged. everything written on this says you CAN"T.

i already sent them a fax with info from the century website to show that it needed to be replaced to begin with. i can't give them the seat anyway, i already disposed of it properly; i wrote in huge letters all over with permanent marker DAMAGED IN WRECK DO NOT USE and took the cover off. now i realize of course that i should not have actually disposed of it, only marked it up, because now i do not have it to show to the metro people, but this really ticks me off.

what can i show them to prove my point? any links or ideas? something from a car seat safety technician might help my case. if possible, please reply to my e-mail below. thanks.

scarlett martin
2martins@home.com

ADS
C

Caviller

Tough choice

Certainly, the carseat should never be used again. I'm surprised an insurance company would even consider that, given all the liability involved. I suspect they just wanted an excuse to remove it from your possession, as they do on most things they replace.

I would definitely etch DO NOT USE into the seat with an engraver or rotary tool and destroy as completely as possible.

You might also check with your local police, fire or health department, or hospital for a technician instructor. You can also search the NHTSA database listed in the FAQ for an instructor in your area. An instructor might even write a nice letter for you. Plus, instructors will often take used or damaged carseats for training purposes, and some areas even have bounty programs.

Good luck!

U

UlrikeDG

Ugh! That's terrible!

Since you already sent them the letter from the manufacturer stating that the seat cannot be used again, I think you need to go to the next level. Talk to a manager, city councilman/woman, or whomever. I can understand them wanting to dispose of the seat themselves, to ensure that you aren't selling it or whatever (yes, I know you already destroyed it), but wanting to give it to someone else to use is unacceptable! If the person you have been dealing with won't realize that, you need to go up the chain to until you find someone who will.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC