Have car seats, need car

doodlebug2453

Triplets coming in 6 weeks. Will be getting Graco SnugRides to start and plan to purchase Radians when the babies outgrow the infant seats. Now we're looking for a vehicle! We can't afford anything new and really don't have a lot to spend, but we want to make sure that we'll be able to get 3 seats in whatever we buy. Right now we're driving a Ford Focus. Any suggestions?

ADS

SillyLily

Are you hoping to get a minivan, another car, a small SUV, or a large SUV? Do you have an approximate budget for the vehicle? Are you or your husband tall (important if you will have radians rearfacing, since they take up so much room).

Congratulations on the triplets, by the way! How exciting. :D

doodlebug2453

We have to get a vehicle with reasonably good gas mileage, so that rules out the SUVs. A car would be ideal, but our concern with that is to have enough trunk room to fit a triplet stroller. So...it's looking more like a minivan will be the best option although we're not going to give up on the car. Our budget is pretty slim--public school teachers--:eek: but we know we can't skimp on safety. Thanks for answering!!

crunchierthanthou

Do you have any other children? It's often possible to get three across in larger sedans like an Impala or Taurus (and both of those have LATCH in all three positions). I'm not sure about three snugride bases, but that's probably your best shot short of a van or SUV.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yep - my mom's Mercury Grand Prix has a very wide back seat, and she gets 30mpg on the highway, and there's plenty of room for a stroller in the trunk. They are also quite reasonably priced. I think even if you couldn't fit three infant seat bases in it (I don't have any infant seats or I'd check for you), you could fit two bases outboard, and a convertible like the Radian in the center.

RubysGirl

We have to get a vehicle with reasonably good gas mileage, so that rules out the SUVs. A car would be ideal, but our concern with that is to have enough trunk room to fit a triplet stroller. So...it's looking more like a minivan will be the best option although we're not going to give up on the car. Our budget is pretty slim--public school teachers--:eek: but we know we can't skimp on safety. Thanks for answering!!

What stroller do you have? Is it new, used or a gift?

(silly questions, but there's a point to it.)

Most triplet strollers aren't that great, and some cost a pretty penny like the pegs.

If you have a peg perego that is new or returnable, you should do it and try to get a runabout new or used, and a hitch for the back of your vehicle.

You'll get a lot more use out of a runabout, and though the hitch is a drag, it saves you all your trunk space, which you will need.

I think something like an impala would be great as far as a car goes, even if you don't switch strollers, it should have enough trunk space for at least the stroller and some groceries.

crunchierthanthou

Not trying to be a brat, just to clarify -- Mercury doesn't make a Grand Prix, afaik.

You're correct. Pontiac makes the Gran Prix. It's the Mercury Grand Marquis. I'm sure the PP just misspoke- or typed. I know I've done that more than once. :)

Really, Defrost? 30 mpg? That's great. It's the same platform as the Ford Crown Victoria, right? Cars don't get much wider than that.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You're correct. Pontiac makes the Gran Prix. It's the Mercury Grand Marquis. I'm sure the PP just misspoke- or typed. I know I've done that more than once. :)

Really, Defrost? 30 mpg? That's great. It's the same platform as the Ford Crown Victoria, right? Cars don't get much wider than that.

Oh, I have too! I was just trying to picture three carseats in the Gran Prix. I forgot that there was a Grand Marquis but now that I remember it, I could definitely see three-across working well!

mish

I just thought I would pass on a tip from a mom I saw at a car seat checkwho has triplets. She has a mini-van (I'm not sure what right now) and they took the middle seats out. They do three across in the back seat. This way, they can just climb in there and buckle in all three girls. Plus, they have a really nice space to change diapers, or whatever. She said another mom gave her that tip and it has helped a lot. That is just a thought if a minivan was a consideration! Good luck.

Kabes

In my Chrysler Town & County you can take the captains seats out and move the bench to the middle position. It is older (97). It should give you enough room for 3 across and plenty of room in the back. Also, you could take out 1 captains seat and put 1 baby in the remaining captains seat and two in the back.
I will defer to the Techs regarding the availability of anchors etc-. I've never been able to have my installs inspected so what I think is correct could be totally wrong.

I also loved my Honda Accord wagon and could fit 3 across but probably not 3 infant seats.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

LOL - yep, I never can remember what type of car she has! I just call it a "Gramma" car. ;) Uncool as it may be, it IS a nice car! And yes, I do think it's the "sister" to the Crown Vic. I think the only thing wider is the cop-cars... Chevy something, I can't remember...

And yes, my mom is pretty OCD about keeping track of gas mileage (they have book in the glove boxes specifically for that!) and it's always 30 mpg when they take road trips.

doodlebug2453

Thanks all for the input. Really like the idea about a minivan, taking out the smaller (second) seat and just using the seat for three. Off to car shop this Presiden'ts Day weekend. Thanks again all.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you have any other children? It's often possible to get three across in larger sedans like an Impala or Taurus (and both of those have LATCH in all three positions). I'm not sure about three snugride bases, but that's probably your best shot short of a van or SUV.

You can't use all three sets at once in the Taurus, though. Either the center or the two outboard. Seems silly to me, but that's what the book says. You can use all three at the same time in the Impala, and they've had that setup since 2002.

Wendy

HEVY

I had a Crown Vic, goodness I could fit 10 grown men in the trunk. But as for the Taurus/Sable, same car regardless of what they say, don't work well with the Radian.

crunchierthanthou

bumping this because we rented a Pontiac Grand Prix over the weekend.

It also has three full sets of LATCH. It's the sister to the Impala and I think you could fit three across in it. My only complaint was that the back seats sloped back making the seatbelt fit weird (not an issue if you have 3 carseats there). The roof also sloped down. If you were sitting back against the seat, your head almost touched the back window.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC