Double Stroller?

read

Im wondering which stroller to invest in. Im due with baby #3 in July and #2 will have just turned 2yo. I think I need a double stroller (???). Stroller will be used mainly for walks through the neighborhood and when we go to mall or other outing. So I need something that is easily portable and will fit in the tiny back of my minivan. Im new to the stroller scene, I have been scanning the board here but am very overwhelmed. Thanks for your help.

ADS

lovinwaves

Re: Double Stoller?

Any kind of budget?

Normally I would say for outdoor use you will want an airtire. Now with the new Baby Jogger City Series Mini Double it may not be necessary. It comes with 8inch plastic wheels instead of the standard small wheel you see on strollers.

I pushed mine today out on some sidewalks. It handled the bumps and cracks well. Air tires of course are always going to push, steer, and give a better ride. They are also going to hold up much better than plastic wheels.

Depending on your "outdoor" use, and what percentage of the time you would be using it indoor would help with deciding if you need air or if plastic will get the job done.

My favorite doubles:

Mountain Buggy Double
Baby Jogger - any
Baby Planet
Maclarens (they are really nice, but I don't like the two handles being so far apart)

read

No Budget. Majority of use would be outdoors. I was looking at both the Mountain Buggy Double and Baby Jogger Mini online. What age do you think a child could use it up to (when will they grow too big)? Also, how would they be with an infant? Can an infant seat attach to either? I have no idea where to find one in real life to check out for myself. Thanks.

lovinwaves

The Mini Double will not have an infant seat attachment, but member mysillykids uses her mini double with a newborn and says it is just fine. I would highly recommend purchasing a "Snuzzler". Mysillykids has this accessory and said it works great for newborns.

What type of minivan do you have? You said the back is tiny so I am assuming you don't have a "well" to put things in. If not, then you will not want to wrestle a Baby Jogger Classic or Elite, or MBUD.

Baby Jogger has carseat attachments for their single strollers, but not their doubles.

Have you maybe considered a single with a "toddler seat", or "jumpseat" attachment? Here are some links to show what I am talking about.

http://www.shop.com/cc.class/cc?main=alt_img_popup&act=51981581&ccsyn=260 (Baby Jogger City Series Single ELITE)

http://www.become.com/valco-toddler...-accessory-toddler-seat--208644976--541540021 (Valco)

This video also shows the jump seat.. http://www.babytv.com/videos/ABC-Baby-Jogger.aspx

read

I have an 04 Kia Sedona and there is no well. I also will have my oldest in the backseat, so folding the seat down would not be an option. I guess I will have to measure to see how much room is back there and compare it to stroller size.
How well do the toddler seats work? Do you know if they are easy to get on and off?

RubysGirl

rightstart had double e3's on sale for 199 right now.. Not as perfect as a sport with jumpseat, but would still be nice.

read

Ok, I couldnt find any strollers to fit in my cargo space easily so I decided to buy one stroller for home/long trips and one for quick trips in/out of the van. I purchased a Valco twin online for home/long trips but now I need to find one to throw in/out of the van. Any suggestions? I have looked at the singles with jumpseats but even the measurements on those seem too big. Is there a decent stroller that is small when folded? Does anyone have a small cargo space in their van? What do you use?
Thanks

momtoM&D

I have a Combi Twin Sport that fits well in the back of my van. It's very light-weight, folds easily, and manuevers pretty well. It has small wheels and isn't great for rough terrain, but works well for mall-cruising and sidewalks. Doesn't have cup-holders or trays, but works for us. It fits the Combi Centre infant seat, and I heard a rumor that it will fit a Graco SR, though not perfectly - haven't checked that out myself. HTH!

bombedier

Senior Community Member

I need some recommendations and advice please.

DS is 2.5 years old. Baby #2 is due in 3 months. I have a Graco Snugride and a sedan with a fairly large trunk - i.e. I can fit a Regent in its box in the trunk front to back, not side to side.

1) Do I need a double stroller? DS rarely goes in a stroller anymore but I don't know what his abilities will be to walk nicely beside a stroller.
2) Should I get a side by side or front to back? Useage will be mainly in the mall at weekends and on vacation where there will be quite a bit of walking.
3) Is a child of DS's age OK for these sit and stand designs or should I get a two seater design?

Thanks!

momtoM&D

If you use it in the mall then you probably want a tandem becuase a side-by-side won't fit between clothes racks. I have a friend who really likes her Graco Quattro Tour Duo. I know some people love their Sit 'N Stands, but others have said that it's not comfy for the older child. They do make one that has a removable seat, so it can be a SNS or a reg double. It really just depends on your son and whether or not he can be trusted to walk beside you or sit on the SNS seat. If you take it on long day trips and your son naps, you'll want one with a reclining seat. HTH!

firemomof3

I had my Phil & Ted for almost 4 years and used it with both a newborn and a 2y/o and it was perfect. The Phil & Ted is so versitle, you can lay your infant flat cuddled with blankets while your toddler rides in front. I was NOT gentle with my phil & ted :whistle: and it held up GREAT! I even ran it over with the car once :eek: and it was soo easy and inexpensive to order the replacement parts. I really put this stroller through a lot and it was fantastic. It fit in the back of my Kia Sedona really well because you can take off the extra seat really easily so it folds up nice and tight. Plus, you don't have the extra weight that goes with double strollers. And, airline travel is easy with this stroller!
You can go out on trails or go through the mall with ease. I would recommend it hands down! :thumbsup:

read

firemomof3 what year kia do you have? I have one too and the cargo space is so small, am having a hard time finding a stroller to fit in there with the back seat upright.

I wanted to say that I have an eddie bauer double transit tandem stroller and it fits in the back of my short base 2007 Kia Sedona-it is tight but it works..I got it 1 year ago on clerance at Target for 40.00(normailly 199.99)...it is super light weight and easy to use. I use it for my daycare kids and my own kid. It easily fits and easy to steer 2-26 pound boy in it. :)

Hope that helps some.

Melanie

I have the same 04 Kia Sedona. I've been able to fit these bigger strollers:

Graco Quattro duo, but you must remove the front wheels. They are very easy to pop on & off

Evenflo double tandem-unsure of model & I wouldn't recommend but it does fit fine

Joovy caboose sit & stand type. With the car seat attachment on, you must slightly angle it.

Schwinn double jogger - sorry, unsure of the model. It's a regular jogger with a fixed wheel. I must take off the front wheel.

I really like my new Graco Quatro double. I needed something that was skinny enough to fit down the small isles in stores. It pushed better than the other tandems I tried. My kids are almost 3 & 34 lbs & 11 mos. It's heavy at 39 lbs unloaded, but I'm able to lift it into the van without a problem. I can snap on the wheels and pull it out & unfold it with one hand while holding the baby. I recently ordered mine from Albee baby for $165 since the color was being discontinued.

The Joovy caboose didn't work as well as I thought it would. The front seat isn't very comfortable for either child. It takes up almost as much room and isn't much shorter than a regular tandem.

bombedier

Senior Community Member

I had my Phil & Ted for almost 4 years and used it with both a newborn and a 2y/o and it was perfect. The Phil & Ted is so versitle, you can lay your infant flat cuddled with blankets while your toddler rides in front. I was NOT gentle with my phil & ted :whistle: and it held up GREAT! I even ran it over with the car once :eek: and it was soo easy and inexpensive to order the replacement parts. I really put this stroller through a lot and it was fantastic. It fit in the back of my Kia Sedona really well because you can take off the extra seat really easily so it folds up nice and tight. Plus, you don't have the extra weight that goes with double strollers. And, airline travel is easy with this stroller!
You can go out on trails or go through the mall with ease. I would recommend it hands down! :thumbsup:

What model of Phil and Ted do you have? I have a Sedan so I am concerned about it fitting in the trunk. We already have a Chariot bike trailer with conversion into stroller, so we don't need anything that will handle trails.

firemomof3

I had the original Phil & Ted E3. But if you already have an "off road stroller" maybe something else would work better? I'm currently looking at the Eddie Bauer Tandem Transit. Also, the new Graco tandem looks awsome! I would buy that in a heartbeat, but its out of my price range right now:(

skaterbabs

FWIW, a tandem is like driving a school bus - a side-by-side is like driving a Suburban. Often the assumption is that a SBS is more difficult to steer because it's wider, but the truth is that it will fit through any standard doorway and you can take it anywhere a wheelchair would go. If it doesn't fit through the racks while you're shopping, they store needs to make changes because a wheelchair won't fit either.

firemomof3

Ya, I've had a couple of side by side doubles and I've had the Phil & Ted tandem and I thought the Phil & Ted is much easier. I have the Baby Jogger City Series Double and that is the width of a standard doorway but there is NO WAY I can navigate the doctors office or dentist office, I had no problems with the Phil & Ted. I just ordered the Tansit Tandem so we'll see!! I won't be the first time I've ordered a stroller that hasn't worked out ;)

skaterbabs

the P&T isn't like other tandems, you're in a whole new ballgame there. ;)

Steering a SBS through tight spots is a learned skill like any other. But if a SBS won't fit, a wheelchair won't either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC