The First Modern Booster?

classicseats

Could this be the first modern booster seat? It's from 1971, and yes it was advertised as a car seat! The car lap belt goes through the openings in the shell. I have a photo of it being used this way somewhere but can't find it. The metal legs are adjustable to two positions of height. The later models have it molded right into the shell to not use it in a car. It's from Cosco.

Last edited:
ADS

Stretchy Glue

UM wow! That is totally crazy. Not all that safe but still, what a contraption. Out of curiosity, have you ever put kids in these seats to see how they fit? (Do you have kids?)

jb5416

I used to babysit a kid (in the early '80s--I'm old) who sat in one of these. The lapbelt went through the sides of the seat--that is correct. Very precarious. It seems like they would be better off sitting on the seat just with the seatbelt on.
Jessie

my3girls

Wowzers! I would say the only purpose of this seat was just to boost a child up higher (so they could see out the window), I can't imagine ANY benefit in a crash! VERY interesting!

Niea

Looks like a nice chair for indoor use ;) I could see my kid sitting in it to watch TV or maybe outside while BBQing. LOL I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this was designed for the car.

Dillipop

My grandmother had one of those for us to use at her kitchen table. It was avocado green, IIRC. I can't imagine it being used in the car.

canadianmom2three

Well, without the legs, it looks like a pretty good booster imo....were the legs actually meant to be used in the car, or is it like one of those dual purpose type things...car seat at one moment, stylish yet tippy looking:p chair the next

Synchro246

That thing is HORRIFYING!!! And I haven't been too judgemental of seats that you've shown because I think most of them were reasonable attempts at safety. This bad boy is just rediculous. Cosco! Wow. Just wow.

Valentine

My grandmother had one of those for us to use at her kitchen table. It was avocado green, IIRC. I can't imagine it being used in the car.

Yes, when I was a child, my old church had a couple of these also in avocado green, that were used as booster seats for eating at the table, at pot-lucks and such. (Born in '84 so this would've been late 80s/early 90s!)

Synchro246

Ok, for use as a booster seat at a kitchen table is. . .well, it's better than for use in a car, but even THAT is kinda scary.

debbiemomof2

I was born in 1969 and I remember riding in something like that as a kid. It was a different color I think. I don't know if we used it a lot, but I remember liking it because I could see out the window when I rode in it.

IsasMom

There was just a picture of a pair of those set up by a little kiddie art table in the last issue of Wondertime magazine. They mentioned that they were vintage boosters and the artsy parents got them on eBay.

twom

I had one of those that I used in the car as a kid (late 70's - early 80's). I seem to remember that it was tippy. :p

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
:eek: That is just scary! That make me greatful that when i was born in 1971 that my Mom at least put me in the plastic seat she used to give e a bath in. Not that it was probably any safer, but that boostreris scary!

There was just a picture of a pair of those set up by a little kiddie art table in the last issue of Wondertime magazine. They mentioned that they were vintage boosters and the artsy parents got them on eBay.

I saw that article too! They were cute at the table but in the car, not so much. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC