How car seat laws are enforced?

jka1217

After a strange encounter at Wal-Mart yesterday, I got to thinking that I don't really know how the car seat laws are really enforced. Is it a fine or would they charge you with a crime? I've tried to read state laws before, but always get confused when reading them. Is there somewhere I can go for a summary? I've recently moved to AZ and am not even really sure what would happen here.

Here's why I'm asking. Yesterday, I was picking up a couple things for DD in the baby section and wanted to see the selection of car seats. A couple looked a little lost, so I started a conversation about how they make it so hard to choose. So the mom asks what the law is for FF since her son gets very upset in the car. I told her 1 year and 20 pounds, but most seats the minimum is really 22 pounds to FF. The child was small, I'd say 7-8 months, not even close to 20 pounds. So, she looks at me and says, "Well, if they pull me over, what are they really going to do anyway?". Not knowing how to respond, I just explained a little about the seats on the shelf, showed her mirror they could install in the car, and that he'd probably be happier in a convertible instead of the infant carrier and that a mirror might help too so they could keep him RF. I figure trying counts for something, right?

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Most states it's a ticket, I know some states it's as much as $500! Our state is $25, per car, not even per offense and then court costs, you have to go to court for it. For children 5 and under it's a primary offense so they can pull you over for it w/ no other reason. For 6 and up, it's a secondary law so they can only ticket you for not wearing a seatbelt if they pull you over for speeding etc. STUPID! They're trying to change it now and I pray they do.

Here's AZ, not the best law. Seats are required till 5 and there's no proper use law or rfing law from what I can find and no stating of the penalty if caught either. http://www.inventiveparent.com/lawsreg9.htm#Arizona

Lys

Senior Community Member
When I sat in on the class for recertification, half the class were cops. They said in SC it's a ticket for iirc $125 plus court costs ( which would end up being over $300)
However, if the parent attends a class and can provide the court with proof they are complying with the law ( ie properly used car seat)the ticket would be dropped.

drey

I'm not sure how they'd enforce the law here in WI, but I do recall a news report where the father who was in an accident where 2 of his kids died, was going to be charged because he didn't have them in appropriate restraints.

southpawboston

However, if the parent attends a class and can provide the court with proof they are complying with the law ( ie properly used car seat)the ticket would be dropped.

that's known as a "fixit ticket". the same usually applies to other safety aspects of your car such as burnt out lights, bald tires, etc. you get a ticket, but if you show proof that the repair was made within the time allowance, the fine is dropped.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When I sat in on the class for recertification, half the class were cops. They said in SC it's a ticket for iirc $125 plus court costs ( which would end up being over $300)

NC it's a $25 fine and $100 court costs, and waived if they show a seat.

Sigh.

Wendy

lutherlovr

In SC, my brother is a police officer, he pulled a guy over last week for having 3 kids under 3 not in carseats and not even buckled up!:eek: The three year old was unbuckled in the front seat!

He said that after he got done writing the tickets the fine was over $600, and that the guy had the seats in trunk, he said he just didn't have time to put them in! My brother helped him install them and sent him on his way.

I don't know about a class to get it reduced, but its possible he didn't mention it. Let's hope the fine deters that guy from doing that again.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
AZ cannot pull you over just for a child reatraint violation and ticket you. If they pull you over and you are going against the manufacture *IF* you have a cop who know what to look for you will get ticketed.

Here is the link to the AZ Gov office of highway safety. We do have a hotline to report the info is at the bottom of the page.

jka1217

Thank you for the replies everyone. I've learned a lot about the different seats, but hadn't really gotten into the legal aspect, besides knowing the minimum requirements. I figured it was a ticket of some sort that would vary by state. It really stinks that keeping your child safe in the car is treated along the same lines of a broken taillight. I guess I'm not surprised considering how outdated a lot of laws are.

Here is the link to the AZ Gov office of highway safety. We do have a hotline to report the info is at the bottom of the page.

I didn't know there was a hotline. Sounds like the hotline program I had the number for when we lived in Illinois. I put this number in my cell phone, thank you so much!

HEVY

In my state you can get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt or not using a child restraint properly. They passed this a few years ago. Car seat ticket is only $54 and adult is $46. Seems it should be higher.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thank you for the replies everyone. I've learned a lot about the different seats, but hadn't really gotten into the legal aspect, besides knowing the minimum requirements. I figured it was a ticket of some sort that would vary by state. It really stinks that keeping your child safe in the car is treated along the same lines of a broken taillight. I guess I'm not surprised considering how outdated a lot of laws are.

I didn't know there was a hotline. Sounds like the hotline program I had the number for when we lived in Illinois. I put this number in my cell phone, thank you so much!

YW :D. Now if she will legislature will vote and get the bill to the Gov desk to raise the age limits. If you notice the hotline says anyone appearing to be under 8 yo and the law is 5yo with no weight limit. So she must know we need better laws. This is theHouse Bill that has been proposed.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hmmm, when friends/acquaintances of mine (as opposed to "clients") flippantly or sarcastically want to know what a cop would or could do about misuse, my standard reply is generally ...

Well, what's worse: a li'l traffic ticket or the very real potential consequence of your child becoming permantently & severely injured or holding your child's funeral? Because when you're misusing your child's life saving device (especially on purpose) 1 or the other is very likely to happen if you crash before the cop pulls you over :twocents:

It's not about laws. It's about saving your child's life.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
This has no doubt been posted here before, but I couldn't find where. An overview of the law and maximum fine for a first offense, listed by state. http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

ETA: Alaska's law is no good.:thumbsdown:

I think it has been posted. It is outdated though. AZ law is 5 yo and has been for quite sometime now. Even the link from the SKusa site is wrong :(. The info is on the Govenors webpage. http://www.azgohs.gov/quick_links/seat_belts_and_children/safety_inside_the_vehicle.asp. It is best to check each states webpage to get accurate info IME.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC