car seats for travel

U

Unregistered

I am thinking about getting some less expensive car seats just for airplane travel and for the grandparents car (won't be used often). I really
Last time we traveled with our roundabout and FPSE and they are a bit heavy to lug in the airport, plus the roundabout is wide in the airplane seat. We also have a Wizard but it is even heavier.
The Cosco Touriva 5-pt looks light weight and narrow. I am looking at the Wal_mart website and can't tell if they have built in lock-offs like my other car seats. Does any one know? Also do you think these would be safe for airplane, taxi, car rental and occasionally in the grandparents car (they live only 3 blocks away on quiet residential streets). THanks so much! Ann

ADS

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I travel with a cosco Regal Ride (same as the Touriva, just from Target) for my 18 month old. It's works well in all the places you've mentioned (except a cab- I've never tried there, so I don't know).

It does not, however, have built in lock-offs like your other seats, so you would want to practice installations before you go. FWIW, they're not needed on the airplane because it's a lap belt and all rental cars would have LATCH and seatbelts that lock without a locking clip (you could use either). It takes a little practice, but I think it's much easier than my Roundabout for flying - just lighter to carry. It's definitely not as easy to use as our Roundabout, but it's worth it to me because it's so much easier to carry through the airport.

I believe that the Touriva/Regal Ride are being replaced by the Scenera (which I've also heard is fine).

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I've traveled by plane with both Roundabouts and Marathons on small commuter planes and huge jumbo jets (Boeing 777s), and they've fit very well. I prefer flying with Britax seats, simply because they fit so well in so many different vehicles.

I put the seats on a 2-wheeled luggage cart and wheeled them through the airport. I wore my toddler in the sling, and still had one hand free to deal with tickets or whatever. My most recent trip, my 7 year old wheeled his own seat through the airport. My 5 year old could have done hers, too, but I just stacked the Roundabout on top of the Marathon and wheeled 2 seats myself.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Bensmom and Ulrike! I do feel like I need the locking clips since the cab we take may not have the automatic locking belts. On our last flight, I used some borrowed carseats similar to the Cosco Touriva and they were SO light and easy to use on the plane. Wish I knew whether they would work in the cab! oh well.

Ulrike, does your 7 year old use a car seat on the plane? I am getting some flak from relatives about my 4 year old son using a car seat on the plane. But he is only 35 lbs and I just think he should be in it on the plane. THanks!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Yes. Our last trip was from Germany to Iowa in May, and he still fit then. Hubby didn't want to bother with the carseat on the plane, but it was a good thing I insisted, because the car we rode home in had only lap-belts in the back. I think the kids were more comfortable in them, as well.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It would be so easy if the Tote-N-Go were aircraft approved! Alas, I too hauled my big Britax seat through the airport ... hopped onto the motorized carts sometimes. I was glad I had the lock-offs when I couldn't get the rental car buckle plates to lock (it didn't have ALR belts).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC