Tell me about DVD players for the car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimieliza

My DD dislikes long car rides, which we do frequently. I would like to get a DVD player for the car. She needs to be able to see it while rear-facing, and it needs to mount in such a way that it won't become a projectile. I cannot figure out even how to search for such a thing - all the ones marketed for cars seem to come with two screens and are kind of expensive.

So what should I get? I was hoping to spend around $100.

Thank you!

ADS

minismom

I'd keep an eye on this thread as I'd like to know too! I had the option of getting dvd built in with the volvo but I didn't cause it only works if the kids are FF. I asked the dealership if there was another way to mount it so RF kids could watch and they looked at me like I was crazy...

InTheWoods

We have a ceiling-mounted DVD system that DD, who just turned FFing, could watch RFing. She'd turn and tilt her head a little so she could see. Wasn't an issue, because she knew no other way.

Of course, now that she's FFing, she's pretty happy to watch a movie w/o craning her head.

mimieliza

Thanks... I took a look at those threads, which are a year old. I guess I am looking for some current concrete recommendations for DVD players that are available now, and that are lightweight and attach securely.

I'm not interested in debating the safety or philosophical arguments against car DVD players. I plan to anchor it securely, and use it only for long trips. We travel long distances frequently, and my RFing little one is driven to tantrums with boredom on these trips.

Wineaux

Those are awesome! Easy install and no projectile issues. It would also allow you to use them RF, and then change them to FF later. Cool find!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I guess I am looking for some current concrete recommendations
Gotcha & :thanx!: for the kind response -- I just took a "teachable" moment & ran with it for the sake of anyone (else) who might not know.... Coulda/shoulda mentioned I was being general ;) I'm clueless on good buys for pretty much anything at the moment, though, so hopefully you get some helpful answers from the others :D

southpawboston

We got 2 from Circuit City. They are mounted into the headrest. But not your stock head rest a head rest you put in yours and can take out if you sell the car!

do they actually lock into the headrest shafts in the seat? or do they just stay in by gravity? i would be concerned about rollovers and the headrests falling out-- especially without a carseat pushing against the headrest to keep it from slipping out.

amy919

I have the kind that have a mounting bracket that attaches to the vehicle headrest. The dvd player then bolts onto the bracket. They're a major PIA to get off. They're very secure. I am not worried about them being projectiles.

Calideedle

do they actually lock into the headrest shafts in the seat? or do they just stay in by gravity? i would be concerned about rollovers and the headrests falling out-- especially without a carseat pushing against the headrest to keep it from slipping out.

They lock in. When you go to Circuit City they they "make" them from headrests made for your car. It is a headrest for a VW. kwim?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I think he means will the headrest lock in backwards.

The DVD player is meant to be used by a FFing child. In order for a RFing child to use it, you would need to flip the head restraint backwards... something we do *not* recommend doing. :)

I wonder if they could custom make it so that it would be backwards... of course it would only work for a rfing restraint then.

Calideedle

It locks (as in clicks, cant pull it out without pushing the release button) in on the back headrest and is the right way (not turned around) We told them how we were using the DVD players for long rides with a RFing child & a FFing child.

We bought them for our drive to WA State March 1st.

ETA: they actually custom make them for your car!

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It locks (as in clicks, cant pull it out without pushing the release button) in on the back headrest and is the right way (not turned around) We told them how we were using the DVD players for long rides with a RFing child & a FFing child.

We bought them for our drive to WA State Feb. 1st.

So, they put the DVD player on the front of the head restraint? Then do you just keep your original head restraints for adult passengers that may ride in that position? I'm just trying to picture this... it sounds really cool. :)

Calideedle

For my son the new headrest is behind me, for my DD it is the 2nd row passenger side. They custom make the headrests (color, car, etc) Yes you keep your stock headrests so you can just put them back in!

I will take pics when I put them in for our car ride!

mimieliza

That looks really, really cool! How long did it take for them to make it for you? I can't wait to see pics! :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
actually, i was wondering if it would lock in *either* orientation, being that they are aftermarket and all.

interesting to know that the aftermarket ones do lock in place, based on what calideedle said.

Sorry, my mistake... I already knew that the aftermarket ones lock in place when in the correct orientation... we looked into getting them for our Speed3.

Pics would be great... this will provide a whole new option to parents that FF their children for long trips/permanently because they 'can't see the DVD player'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC