Eick, Do I Need To Get Rid Of Her Marathon?

Calideedle

Eick, Do I Need To Get Rid Of Her Marathon? (Updated!)

UPDATED: Well I just called today (I have been kinda busy and forgot) and I told the CS Woman that the foot of the Carseat was cracked and I was looking to just get it repaired and see how I get that done. She said oh great and asked for all the seat info and when she got to the date of the seat (2/16/05) she said oh sorry we cannot replace the foot on those (2005) we need to replace the entire seat :eek: I was in shock because I was not expecting a new seat! So they just emailed me the label and I got to even pick out a new cover. Brooke is discontinued (stupid decision I think :cool:) so I got the Cow cover since I have all the girly covers already! It is good to call because she said it isnt safe at least on 2005 models to have a cracked foot.

I just took DDs carseat out of the car to change the cover since her's got all dirty at the beach and I noticed this crack on the bottom :confused: I have not seen this before.

The carseat is 3years old so it isnt under warrenty. And it is too late to call Britax and ask.

I am putting her Brand New Marathon in my Jetta (which was in my Fathers truck in case she ever left my side, lol) but should I get a new one and get rid of this or is this carseat okay to use? (I know you shouldnt use cracked carseats, so I think I kinda answered my own question)

(Pls excuse all the dirt in the cracks *blush*)
100_0268.jpg

100_0267.jpg

100_0266.jpg

Last edited:
ADS
I would call and ask, but not expect a replacement seat.

The crack looks fresh and I've not heard or seen anyone who has had it crack from general use. Britax may want it back to view the seat and work out how the injury (to the seat) has happened.
Britax may be able to send a replacement foot base, or have it repaired.

Also your adjuster strap looks cut, is that correct?

Calideedle

Oh no I dont expect a new seat, I will just buy a new one. No biggie!

I just took it out 2 weeks ago to put a new cover on since DDs "Foofy" cover was dead and the foot was fine.

That is a new adjuster strap I just got 2 weeks ago, I was wondering why the end part wasnt on there but it isnt...not sure. But it isnt cut.

Hopefully they sort it out for you.

I would ask about the strap because it looks like it may pull out of the adjuster piece or is there a stopper on the other side?

Calideedle

It locks and doesnt just pull out, but I will ask them. I got the same type replace adjuster when my DSs old Marathon had the adjuster recalled. IDK??

LuvBug

It is fine. You should still call britax, but this was an issue they had with some seats over a year ago(maybe 2? or longer? gah it has been a while!). That part of the base is just cosmetic and it will not affect performance.

Calideedle

It is fine. You should still call britax, but this was an issue they had with some seats over a year ago(maybe 2? or longer? gah it has been a while!). That part of the base is just cosmetic and it will not affect performance.

GREAT to hear! Thanks! I will call in the morning but I will put this seat in Gpas car, in case she ever goes Grocery shopping with him!

singingpond

I just took DDs carseat out of the car to change the cover since her's got all dirty at the beach and I noticed this crack on the bottom :confused: I have not seen this before.

The carseat is 3years old so it isnt under warrenty. And it is too late to call Britax and ask.

I am putting her Brand New Marathon in my Jetta (which was in my Fathers truck in case she ever left my side, lol) but should I get a new one and get rid of this or is this carseat okay to use? (I know you shouldnt use cracked carseats, so I think I kinda answered my own question)

I'm no expert on this issue, but I can't imagine that little piece of plastic missing would affect the safety of the seat. I would be a little concerned about what caused the damage (i.e. was there some causative event that might have also put stress on the rest of the seat?). Also, I would be concerned about that jagged edge damaging my vehicle seat -- personally, I would round off that sharp edge/corner and continue using the seat (if there was no event that might have damaged other parts of the carseat).

Katrin

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it's cosmetic, Britax has been saying that for a couple years now (just another vote for 'don't worry' :thumbsup:)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

Yes, this. Definitely call, but I would feel fine using the seat for now.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Great update!!! You can keep your cover off of your broken seat. they do not care. There is actually a member here who competely stripped her entire seat harness everything before sending it back.

Calideedle

Yeah I asked and I am keeping everything off it. I just bought all new harnesses for it anyway. If not I was going to send my old Foofy cover *giggle*

I am excited, that was so unexpected!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yeah I asked and I am keeping everything off it. I just bought all new harnesses for it anyway. If not I was going to send my old Foofy cover *giggle*

I am excited, that was so unexpected!

I think they do this becasue the seat is designed to be good for 6 years and it failed to last. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC