Dodge Sprinter

Kabes

Do I really want one? I've read about the Radian install problems. I couldn't figure out if they were ever solved or not. This would be a major negative for me since we just bought 3 new Radians. We also had 2 Regents.

In the one we looked at there were 3 seats with latch but no top tethers. I'm not sure they could be installed either because there is an air conditioning unit on the roof and vents in the ceiling. I wish I was paying more atention when I looked at it and now I am 3 states away.

We have four kids and hope do do foster care (possibly adopt) in the near future).

Are there other vehicles I should be considering? We have thought about the GMC 12 passenger van.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Do I really want one? I've read about the Radian install problems. I couldn't figure out if they were ever solved or not. This would be a major negative for me since we just bought 3 new Radians. We also had 2 Regents.

In the one we looked at there were 3 seats with latch but no top tethers. I'm not sure they could be installed either because there is an air conditioning unit on the roof and vents in the ceiling. I wish I was paying more atention when I looked at it and now I am 3 states away.

We have four kids and hope do do foster care (possibly adopt) in the near future).

Are there other vehicles I should be considering? We have thought about the GMC 12 passenger van.

For over 9 passengers, I like the Sprinter the best among the full size vans. For 8-9 passengers, there are very safe options among the long wheelbase minivans and full size SUVs.

Kabes

I know about several eight passenger options but I don't like the lack of access to the rear seat. Since my oldest is 7 years old(40 lbs.) she is still harnessed and probably will be for a long time. I need to be able to easily check the car seat usage of whoever I put back there. Any foster kids we get would probably be less that 2 years old.

I'm curious about 9 passenger vehicles though. Can you name a few?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I believe the full size GM SUVs like Suburban still have 9-passenger options, as does the Ford Expedition.

sixboys

Chevrolet Suburbans and Tahoes have been made with nine passenger seating, and Ford's Expeditions and Excursions also can seat nine. But, the trucks with seating for nine are more difficult to find in the used market.

I have an '04 Excursion that was set up for eight passengers. I bought a middle jump seat off ebay that came out of a Ford F250. We removed the console from the front row, and replaced it with the jump seat.

It was very, very easy - as the chassis is the same for both vehicles and so the openings needed to bolt down the seat were already there under the carpet. We have a Radian sitting in that seat and it works very well.

I would think you would be able to reconfigure an 8 passenger Expedition to seat 9 as well. My understanding is that the Ford F150 and Expedition is built on the same chassis. Going from my experience with my Excursion - I would guess you could find a middle jump seat from a F150 and replace the center console with a seat if needed.

Not to mention, you could probably research and figure out what Chevy truck chassis the Suburbans and Tahoes sit on, and find a jump seat from a Chevy pick-up to put into one of those SUVs.

Stay away from aftermarket seats though, and stick to OEM Ford (or Chevy) seats that were designed for the chassis of your vehicle.

sixboys

I know about several eight passenger options but I don't like the lack of access to the rear seat. Since my oldest is 7 years old(40 lbs.) she is still harnessed and probably will be for a long time. I need to be able to easily check the car seat usage of whoever I put back there. Any foster kids we get would probably be less that 2 years old.

I'm curious about 9 passenger vehicles though. Can you name a few?

There is no way to have easy access to the third row of a 8 or 9 passenger SUV unless you remove one of the second row seats. We keep a child in a Parkway booster in that first seat so it's not so bad to push forward and have the kids pile into the third row. I could not have a harnessed seat in that position.

Kabes

Darren, Thank you I visited the GM and ford websites.

Amy, Thank you for your insights about the seats. Since we take long (6+ hours) road trips every 6 weeks or so I can't imagine putting everyone in a large SUV for that long (assuming we get foster kids). We are not in urgent need of a vehicle at this time so I think we will continue to look for a used Sprinter. I just hope I am able to install my seats in it. I will definitly try before I buy.

sixboys

If a Dodge Sprinter had been an option for us financially, it would have been my first choice. I hope you get one! They look awesome. :)

Not to mention, you could probably research and figure out what Chevy truck chassis the Suburbans and Tahoes sit on, and find a jump seat from a Chevy pick-up to put into one of those SUVs.

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra. Just have to check if it's the light duty or heavy duty (1500 vs 2500, etc).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC