OMG!!!

MommyInMyHeart

I think I'm going to be sick! Litterally!

Today I took my 2 DD's and my only daytime daycare kid to a valentines day party a friend was having. While there, I had put DD2 in her SS1 to take her nap. When we left, I just snapped her carseat into the base in the car. Then on the way home we stopped at walmart. I got one of those carts that's a car so the older 2 could play. I put the SS1 on the top part and was buckling it to the cart with the buckle I bring. To thread the buckle strap through the seatbelt hooks, I lifted up DD's blankets. SHE WASN'T EVEN BUCKLED IN!!! We drove for 20 minutes on a major highway, and she wasn't even buckled in! My heart skipped a beat and I got light headed! OMG, to think what could have happened! I cannot believe I did that! She had been asleep for a good 45mins before we left the party, so the fact that I hadn't buckled her in wasn't even on my mind. And I had the canopy in front of her to block the light and she was covered with blankets. I just can't believe it. Someone call CPS! (not really, but that's how bad I feel!) :(

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It's okay... breathe...

I've done this as well (and I'm a tech!)... only it was just across a parking lot. We all forget and can have instances like this.

The baby is okay and nothing bad happened... you won't be doing this again for a looonnnngg time. :)

I had a bad thing happen today too with my daycare!
We FINALLY were able to go to story hour today! Yeah! Anyway, had a rough time walking there, had to stop and put air in the Valco's tires, then there was a wall of snow on the sidewalk, next to a busy road. So, we get there just in time for the Color wall, and good bye song. Afterwards we play. My 18mo dcb has a really hard time adjusting to new environments and people, so he was glued to me or crying. He made it out of the library and into the parking lot in the 20sec I was talking to the story hour teacher. A man that had just left SH with his kids brought him in, I didn't even know he was gone. I feel awful lousy.They had used the automatic doors and he just followed them out....So, you are not alone in your mistake today, I am equally guilty.

MommyInMyHeart

I think she means Child Protective Services. ;)

:yeahthat:

Well I feel better now since I'm not the only one! Thanks guys, I don't feel like the worst mother ever now! Lol! It's a shame people do this everyday, on purpose, and think their babies are safe :mad:

heathernick06

Don't be too hard on yourself! It looks like a lot of us have done this. I actually went through this two days ago and I felt terrible. Luckily my 3 year old yelled "Mommy I'm not buckled in, you can't go!!" right after I put the truck in gear. He of course went on to tell everyone he saw that day that I forgot to buckle him in, but no one really seemed to know what he was talking about :eek:.

MommyInMyHeart

You take a buckle with you into the store?! Wow, you're truly dedicated. Kudos.

Well I use it when I get the car basket. It holds 2 older kids inside the car, but then there's no place to safely put an infant seat. So I put it on the top grocery spot, where it doesn't rock because it's just the right amount of space to support it. Honestly it's secure enough that I probably don't need the strap, but she's so high up that it scares me to not use it. The strap is a strap that came with our booster feeding chair, the strap that attaches it to the adult chair. I put it through the belt guides and buckle it around the metal bars on the shopping cart. When I use a regular shopping cart I put her in the bottom basket part, so no need for the buckle.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:question: :shrug-shoulders: :scratcheshead:

The car she's talking about is the shopping cart. You can get ones at Safeway that have a driver's/passenger's little car in the front and then the shopping basket behind it with a higher up basket that would hold an infant carrier.

They are total beasts to drive around the grocery store, but they keep the kids occupied. ;) :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LMBO -- my friend's landlord left the wireless cable plugged in for a change -- I'm alternating between here & my online workbook assignments :p

lovemyfamily

I did that with DS#1. I went to the mall with my mom, he was about 4 months old and came home. DH went to get him out and lifted the blanket and looked at me in horror! I was like what, then he said "he isn't buckled." I just burst in to tears.
I find this happens a lot, especially in winter, as we worry about keeping them warm and don't think to check their buckles. After that incident I never put my kids in their infant seat unless they were buckled in.
Don't beat yourself up too bad.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC