Worth it?

cpsaddict

My godson just turned ten and is 64lbs. He does not meet the 5 step test, despite having the longest legs I have ever seen. He meets about four of them. :p So, he is *this* close to being too tall for the hb Turbo. Would you get him a new booster? I know this is a duh thing from some people, but we are strapped for cash and his dad would not really understand a new seat for a 10yr old. So, I am looking at the FPSV at albee, but is it that much taller than the Turbo? Ideally, I would love a Parkway, but that isn't happening(I checked Sears). His birthday was 2/3, so I was thinking to get him a booster and something fun.

Any other ideas?

Oh, and backless isn't an option in their van. It's a 1995 Chevy Astro with no head restraints and seatbelts that may as well have been mounted on the top of the car. :p

ADS

tl01

I'm confused.. he if he doesn't get a new seat, then when he grows out of his seat then won't he be w/o a head restraint? If so, in that case, I would buy him whatever seat he can sit in as long as possible b/c I wouldn't want him to not have a head restraint. Can some other family members chip in to help with the seat purchase so that he'll have something to last longer?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
FP is shorter than the Turbo. SRC is on sale at babylove.com, though I never measured if mine was as tall as my PW (becky has it now, maybe she can do that? :) ). PW's are on clearance at some Sears. But yeah, it doesn't matter if he passes the five step test, the booster is just substituting for a lack of head restraint in the car (but those videos I posted last week are bad enough none of us who saw them ever wants to take our kids out of boosters, lol)

scatterbunny

Since there's no vehicle head support, I'd absolutely find him another, taller highback booster. I don't think the FPSV booster is taller than the Turbo, though. I'd go with the Parkway because it's soooo tall, or a Recaro Vivo (supposed to be the same or slightly taller than the PW), or a Graco Air Booster. The Air is SO DEEP, great for super-long-legged kids. Having that head support is essential, though (that should be your "in" with the dad), so as long as he isn't uncomfortable depthwise in a PW or Vivo (can you try him in one), I'd go with one of those. I wish they were deeper, I'd go with a Vivo for H, but we'll probably going to end up with an Air.

cpsaddict

Well, shoot. Now I don't know what to do. I cannot afford a spendy seat and neither can dad. Most likely, they will take him out of it completely when he outgrows it. :( Not my choice, obviously. I'll see what I can do, though. He has maybe an inch or two to go on the Turbo, so we have a couple months.

He rides in nothing in moms car and hasn't for at least three years, but luckily dad has primary custody. :eek:

scatterbunny

An inch or two of torso growth could be as much as 1-2 years, especially if he is long-legged. H has about that much room in her Compass B510, but I fully expect her to fit another year or two.

The PW has been on clearance lots of places lately, maybe you can find one for a great deal?

Do the parents understand that the lack of head support is a real issue, and that keeping him in a highback as long as possible is incredibly important for his safety?

ETA that BabyAge.com has PWs for $60-$65.

cpsaddict

An inch or two of torso growth could be as much as 1-2 years, especially if he is long-legged. H has about that much room in her Compass B510, but I fully expect her to fit another year or two.

The PW has been on clearance lots of places lately, maybe you can find one for a great deal?

Do the parents understand that the lack of head support is a real issue, and that keeping him in a highback as long as possible is incredibly important for his safety?

ETA that BabyAge.com has PWs for $60-$65.

Dad does understand, but he is legally blind and raising 7 kids, basically by himself. This means a tiny budget. :eek:

Now, I found the SR/C for $40 at babylove and the parkway for $60. They also have the Bodyguard for $50. Which of these is taller?

scatterbunny

I know the PW is a bit taller than the BG...I seem to remember the BG is about 20 inches from seating area to shoulderbelt guide, the PW 21 inches. Isn't the Turbo about 19 inches? I have no idea about the SRC, I only have the backless version of that.

skaterbabs

I haven't measured the SR/C, but I think it's slightly, barely, shorter than the PW. I had to raise it all the way to the top for Corbin. And make it pretty wide too. lol

cpsaddict

Thanks ladies!
It looks like I can afford the SR/C. I need to check him to see where exactly he is, but the last time I saw him(two weeks ago) he looked awfully big in the Turbo! :whistle:

scatterbunny

Incidentally, H loves the Starriser, it's deeper than the BG and PW, she says it's really comfy, even though it has no padding to speak of, just a cover.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC