why would you pay twice as much?

singingpond

I'm not putting this under the Frontier speculation thread, since it's not really about the Frontier per se.

However, take the Nautilus (existing seat, $150) versus the Frontier (rumors and speculation thus far, maybe $300?).

What features would a hypothetical seat, such as the Frontier, need to have that would make you willing to spend twice as much for it?

Nicer colors? More padding? Better LATCH clips? Seatbelt lock-offs? Name recognition (e.g. 'Britax' vs. 'Graco') and/or perceived quality? Dial-up harness adjustment vs. slots? Better-looking SIP? LATCHable booster option? Higher top harness slots? Other???

I must say, most of these things would be nice, but wouldn't make the hypothetical seat worth twice as much money, to me anyway. An even higher harness position would be nice, but 19" in the Nautilus is pretty good already. LATCHable booster would be preferable... for those (unlike me) who have LATCH in their vehicles.

If the hypothetical seat doesn't have a nice easy harness adjuster, like the Nautilus, it would have to really hit a home run on other features to get that extra $150 out of my pocket ;). Not sure how it would do that, though.

What are your thoughts??

Katrin

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
LATCHable booster and 80-pound harness limit (if strap slots are correspondingly high) would be worth a lot to me, but I'm not quite sure if they would be worth twice the price.

ETA that was mostly a theoretical answer. My daughter's little. I expect she'll be harnessed in her Radians until she's eight or so, at which point I would be comfortable moving her into a dedicated booster like the Monterey (I know I generally hate speculation, but I'm pretty sure there will be a LATCHable booster out sometime in the next two years!). I don't see any *need* for me to buy the Frontier: if I do it will be because I *want* it.

LuvBug

I would only buy it over the nautilus if it offered higher limits in ALL areas. Taller slots, taller beltguide, higher weightlimits.

natysr

For me, the answer would be "why not".

While I think the Nautilus is awesome now. I don't really have an opinion yet about the frontier. As, it isn't out yet.

But, assuming they are comparable as far as fitting the same range of size children. I could expect to use the Frontier for a full 6 years.

More comfort padding is a plus
Better latch clips is awesome
Lockoffs - Great
Name recognition is top notch. No just the name, but the practices behind the company. I think it is great the Britax continues to test its seats long after they are first put on the market. And I believe they try to test them to higher standards.

So, hypothetically, if I use both seats for 6 years; that would break down to 6.8 cents per day for the Nautilus and 13.7 cents per day for the Frontier.

For something that is a safety device that will be used for such a long period of time, the cost is minimal.

Again, that being said, I don't know if I will ever want a frontier or not. This would just depend on if I like the seat once it is actually out.

Mama2J

Probably some of the same reasons I spent $300 on the Regent instead of getting an Apex for $129.

- Higher harness slots
- Higher weight limit
- Nicer covers
- Looking for an "everyday/primary" seat (which I am not this time, and why I chose the Nautilus)
- LATCHable booster (in the case of the Frontier)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The side impact crash tests I've seen Britax do (on their UK sled,with the forward-then-sideways movement, as opposed to the standstill-then-sideways movement) that contain the head in the sidewings had a real impact (no pun intended) on me, and I'd prefer it for forward facing/boostering to the 'i don't know what graco has done, if anything' side impact tests... to me, that's worth the extra $120 bucks in addition to higher quality parts (LATCH/Lockoffs/Headrest that fits the kid at all times).
And don't get me wrong, I'm not a seat snob in particular... I rave about the Key Fit and SS1 almost equally, my kid's now in a $95 (tech discount price) Radian when she could easily be in $229 (on sale) Boulevard...

mominabigtruck

Me personally I just don't like the looks of the nautilus, I think it looks cheap. I want a big heavy seat and looking at the nautilus and even the turbobooster I think they look flimsy and not at all well padded. My kids are in their seats for hours every week and I think they should be comfortable and as protected as possible:twocents:

mamaofthree

I'd spend double if it was LATCHable as a booster (cause I'm gonna spend that much buying the Nautilus and a LATCHable booster later- or some sort of lighterweight booster if there aren't LATCHable ones available), and had more comfortable padding (colors aren't as important but could also sway me). It would also have to be the most absolute perfect seat for me to purchase it if it really does have the MA harness adjuster. It would really have to be worth it for me to wrestle with that thing all the time. I'm not holding my breath on this seat though. I'll get the Nautilus and if the Frontier ends up being a dream seat I'll buy that too. :)

Kimberly

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I suppose I'm a carseat snob, because even if the two seats had the exact same features, I'd still be willing to pay twice as much for a Britax.

Now mind you - I like Graco. My kids have been riding in their boosters for years (even been a couple crashes with them), and I'm perfectly happy with the company. But I *love* Britax. That said, if I needed to buy a HWH seat this week, I'd happily get a GN and not bother trying to wait for the Frontier, and I just told BFF exactly that yesterday.

I really don't think it would be a good business decision for them to rely on the reputation of their name alone to sell their carseats, though. Not many people are that brand-loyal! I do think that at their prices, they need to be offering more than just "Hey, we're a good company."

keri1292

#1 ~ Because I feel Britax does more extensive testing.

#2 ~ IF it really has an infinite adjust harness...I have 2 FFing kids who could use it. Probably 3 in a year. It'd be great for Dad's car which I intended to purchase an EFTA for..until I heard that the infinite harness is a possibility on the Frontier.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The Britax testing standards and the 80lb harness withe the option to use LATCH in booster mode would make me want to pay the extra.

mimieliza

1. Taller harness height
2. Higher weight limit
3. Harness adjusts with headwings, so they are always at the perfect height
4. Booster can be anchored with LATCH
5. Britax quality and reputation

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Like the others said: reputation and extensive testing. Also, one of the reasons we returned our Nautilus was not enough padding. I live 600 miles from my family and we visit several times a year. I'd like my child to have something more comfortable than a very thinly padded cover over hard plastic. :twocents:

Morganthe

Like the others said: reputation and extensive testing. Also, one of the reasons we returned our Nautilus was not enough padding. I live 600 miles from my family and we visit several times a year. I'd like my child to have something more comfortable than a very thinly padded cover over hard plastic. :twocents:
:yeahthat:
Exactly why I purchased the Regent throne instead of a second Radian. More padding/comfort for those extreme distance drives. Padding matters to the child sitting there for hours. I've yet to have dd complain or fuss about soreness and she's always been in comfy soft seats that I envy. Coincidence? I think not :p

Plus, I have to say, I"m not impressed with the booster part of the Nautilus. I wonder if it's safe to say that it's likely the heaviest booster on the market? All that weight moving freely side to side whenever a child gets in/out of the seat. All dependent on the 3pt seatbelt clasp to contain a 55+lb child AND that seat in place during an accident.:confused: Hmmmm.

I just don't know if I'd trust it over a lighterweight booster or one that's LATCHable. :shrug-shoulders:

brightredmtn

I have already bought a Britax over a FPSVD and every other brand of seat because of the more advanced features on the Britax. I like Britax, it's what I know, they are made in America, another $100 isn't THAT much more money in the grand scheme of things to me.

If I were in the market for a seat like this I'd definitely check them both out but I'd probably go with a Britax.

ZephyrBlue

I would happily pay twice as much, and we're loving our Nautilus.

Britax does more testing than is required. I've had fantastic experiences w/Britax customer service. I like Britax fabrics better than Graco. Infinite harness adjuster without re-threading would be great for our situation. It's a Britax. The Frontier will undoubtedly have more detail-designed SIP. Britax is, well, Britax. And if, even if it's an infintesimal "if", the Britax is a safer seat because of the extra testing and superior materials and engineering, well- my kids' lives are worth the extra $150 per seat.

And it's a Britax ;)

Synchro246

*^harness height
*15lb ^ weight limit
*britax testing & reputation (what other company will do expensive advisories & recalls on their own?)
*britax customer service
*the fact that britax makes only CRs whereas Graco makes everything under the sun
*probably better covers
*LATCH-able booster
*because ~$120 really isn't that much over a 6 year time-frame

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
The colors, Hoping for beautiful seats my kids love as much as me, and quality of britax seats compared to graco.

That said, if on friday bcf had the nautilus I would have bought it, but they didn't so I am thinking about the frontier.

mcomommy

1. Taller harness height
2. Higher weight limit
3. Harness adjusts with headwings, so they are always at the perfect height
4. Booster can be anchored with LATCH
5. Britax quality and reputation

Yep to all of that, that is why I am buying the Frontier. The biggest selling point for me honestly is the way the harness adjusts and how close each slot is to the other.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC