Would you sell your Radian to buy a Nautilus?

murphysmommy

Hi all-

I have the opportunity to sell my Radian to somebody who desperately wants a used one. Since I know my seat hasn't been in an accident or used incorrectly, I don't have a problem doing this. I'm just wondering if I'll regret my decision. The whole point in getting the Radian was to have a narrow seat for the middle of the 2d row of a Honda Pilot. However, there is a funky seatbelt there and I simply put it outboard using LATCH for now. With 2d baby coming, I REALLY, REALLY want to put DS in the middle (or baby in the middle) and the other child behind the driver to allow for better access to the 3rd row. Any chance a Nautilus (or a SS1) will fit in that middle position? Would I be an idiot for making the trade? Thanks for your help.

MM

ADS

steph

I never had an issue with an infant seat in the center of our Pilot (we installed a Chicco Keyfit just fine) - I only had problems with our Boulevard (although it was doable just not ideal).

Personally I would keep your Radian. There is another member on here who has the radian and a Pilot, hopefully she will chime in on the center install (I think it can be done).

HTH

murphysmommy

Hmmm...so would you keep the Radian only because of its narrow width?

I HATE the Radian but will keep it for that reason only. I hate the fact that I never feel I can get the harness tight enough for DS (it's always "stuck") and the buckle clip issue is bothersome too. I just feel like the Nautilus would be a better seat to have (although a pain in the behind for air travel...)

I'm really undecided. Also, the potential buyer is asking for a price and I have no idea what is fair. It's only a year old (DOM = 1/07). Does $80 seem fair? That would certainly help with the price of the Nautilus.

Thanks for the help!

murphysmommy

Ok, I'm digressing and turning this thread into a giant complaint about the Radian :)whistle:) BUT has anyone else had a problem with the LATCH belt "bunching?" That is, when you tighten the LATCH belt, it is impossible to keep the belt flat. It instantly bunches up into a narrow 'strip' of folded up belt. Is there a way to prevent it from doing that?

I know, I know...I should just sell the thing and get the GN. My hubby thinks I'm crazy for wanting to get rid of a "perfectly good seat" but I'm not so certain that it is...

I'll stop now...however, if anyone has anything pertinent on that LATCH belt issue, I'm all ears. TIA!

steph

If you don't like your Radian than that is another issue but I wouldn't personally trade a Radian for a Nautilus, JMO. You have a good seat. How old is your DS? Myabe there is another option.

ccjones

I have a Radian in my Pilot for my 2yo son. I just got a chance Monday morning to check out a Nautilus on display at a local Walmart, and I distinctly remember thinking that while it was a cool looking seat, it wasn't a seat that I'd replace my Radian for. I would only buy a Nautilus if I needed a seat for our third vehicle or for a relative's vehicle.

Granted, our Radians have been "enhanced" (IMMI chest clip, wider buckle tongues, longer crotch strap, etc), so we have nothing but love for them. :love:

I think you'd get a good installation with the Nautilus using the wonky center seatbelt coming out of the ceiling. But I think the real question is if you can fit another seat on the 60-side of the split bench along with the Nautilus, regardless of what position the Nautilus is in (center or outboard)? The Nautilus is about 19" wide at the belt path. I know I was able to install my Radian driver-side outboard, and a Snugride base in the center with some room to spare on the 60-side of my Pilot 2nd row bench.

murphysmommy

He's 4.5. He weighs (on a GOOD day) 35 lbs (usually 34) and is 42.5 in tall. I think he's in the 3rd slots up on the Radian.

He's in a Regent in our other car. My husband thinks that we should just switch the Regent into the Pilot but I think the Radian would be even tougher to install in Car #2 (Subaru Forester). Plus, that would pretty much take out our access to the 3rd row in the Pilot.

You're right, the Radian is a good seat. It just bothers me that I can't figure out if I have it installed in the safest manner. I guess I need to make an appointment with an actual carseat tech. I just know that not all techs are built the same and it worries me that amateurish little me might know more (thanks to lurking on this website constantly!) than the tech I end up with.

Thanks for talking me down off the bridge though. I appreciate it!

murphysmommy

CCJones-

How does one get all those cool upgrades for the Radian? Is there somewhere I can order them? The longer crotch strap and bigger buckle tongues would be great (I don't have a huge problem with the existing harness clip). I've read on this site that folks have had problems going through SKJ...

ccjones

CCJones-

How does one get all those cool upgrades for the Radian? Is there somewhere I can order them? The longer crotch strap and bigger buckle tongues would be great (I don't have a huge problem with the existing harness clip). I've read on this site that folks have had problems going through SKJ...

I have three Radians, so I kinda bought in bulk! lol

I bought the IMMI chest clips from Britax's website; they were $3 each. Trust me, seeing how well the IMMI clip makes the Radian harness lay more smoothly, it was WELL WORTH that $8 shipping charge from Britax that made me cringe initially.

I ordered the wider buckle tongues, the longer crotch straps, and a ComfySoft pillow (the infant padding/pillow that comes with the Radian80) all from SKJP's website. I had no issues with the order. I received the goods in less than a week, maybe 5 days?

Here's a link to the wider buckles and longer crotch straps, you can add them to the cart to order them: http://www.skjp.com/products/skjp_radian_80.php?show=Acc&#tabs

vamom

I bought the nauty to replace the radian, just haven't brought myself to let it go. I hate the darn thing, but it does work when I need a 3 across so that we can go with friends. I was starting to justify its use with others who did not have a ta, but it just doesn't install well in their vehicle, and I got really pissy trying to get the harness just right. Ds is 5 and on the top harness slot, and I tried for months to get the wider tongs and only got another chest clip.

Still trying to decide, since I really don't need all these carseats...

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wouldn't switch. I have an IMMI clip, if needed. I have switched my buckle tongues to the wider ones. I still need to order another crotch strap.

murphysmommy

I just wanted to thank you all for all of your help. I'm going to keep the Radian -- that'll make my husband happy and I can put some more money towards our new LO's convertible purchase this summer. (Colleen-thanks so much for the link -- I'm going to order the buckle tongues and crotch strap today -- although it's a little frustrating to have to spend MORE money on a seat that should've come already perfect!).

So no one else has a problem with a bunching up of the LATCH strap? That's the one thing I'm still worried about. :confused:

Thanks again for your assistance!!

ccjones

Colleen-thanks so much for the link -- I'm going to order the buckle tongues and crotch strap today -- although it's a little frustrating to have to spend MORE money on a seat that should've come already perfect!.

You're welcome and yes I agree that the Radian should just comes standard with all the accessories they sell, as well as the IMMI clip. Maybe some day, enough of us will get it through Russ' head! Well, we can wish, right? lol

murphysmommy said:
So no one else has a problem with a bunching up of the LATCH strap? That's the one thing I'm still worried about. :confused:

What do you mean by bunching? You mean, the LATCH strap doesn't lay completely flat at the entrance and exit of the beltpath? I don't think my LATCH strap lies completely flat, either. It does get bunched a little, but that's just due to the sharp low, angle of the beltpath. Bunching, I would worry about; but if it's twisted, then I would fix it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC