Britax sent me a Brand new Decathlon!!

Auntie2Avi

Disclaimer: I am not posting the carseat for sale, I just want to know what you would do with it.

I posted our Decathlon on the board a few weeks ago and mentioned that the cover was slightly faded on the top. Someone else mentioned to me that I was missing the two pieces of foam that go on the bottom of the seat near the child's legs. I called Britax and said that I was disappointed that the cover was faded after 3 years of use, especially because it was in a minivan with tinted rear windows for most of the time. The woman I spoke to said that they had an onyx cover available that they could send me. She did not say anything about sending my old cover back to them, or anything about the seat. It has been a few weeks but every time I want to call Britax either I have no time or they are closed. Today Avi's mother calls me and says that she got a package from Britax. She said one was a big box and one was a small one. I went over and the small package is the foam, and the big package is a brand new Onyx Decathlon, DOM is January 08!! I am shocked!! I thought they would send me a new cover because my other one was faded, not a whole new seat!! YAY!!

Now for the question.... Avi's mother has been TTC for 2 years, it took her 4+ years to get pregnant with Avi. She said that maybe we should try to sell the old DC and MA and keep this one for the potential younger sibling. I was thinking we should try to sell all of the seats because she is not preg at this time so it would be at least a year before the baby would be in the seat since she will get an infant carrier, and who knows what else will be out at that time. WWYD?

Update:

I called Britax today about the Regent recall and I told the woman that I had received a new seat and would they want the old one back. She said "we wouldn't want to inconvenience you, you do not need to send it back".

Last edited:
ADS

minismom

Wow, that's nice of Britax!! I would sell all the seats, though. You're right, even if she gets pregnant right now it will still be a while. And Britax will have the 35lb RF limit by the time she needs the seat. I'd say you could get almost full price for the brand new seat, maybe just wait til after the sale.
But first and most important :) do you wanna have a carseat playdate? I have the RA and I'm waiting for the Radian to arrive. Aren't you curious how many seats we can get in the xc90? :love:

HEVY

Sell them all, especially the new one. I know I would like to keep it for that same reason she does, but you're right it's gonna be some time before she would need it and she may need or want something else before then.

I would call Britax and ask them if it was a mistake because they said a replacement cover, not a new seat. Someone may be new and have read the form wrong, or placed the wrong address label and it could be someone elses seat.

minismom

I would call Britax and ask them if it was a mistake because they said a replacement cover, not a new seat. Someone may be new and have read the form wrong, or placed the wrong address label and it could be someone elses seat.

Humm, or they felt bad the cover had faded so early and the foam had come out and decided to do something nice for their customer? Now if it was Recaro I might think it was a mistake... ;)

Humm, or they felt bad the cover had faded so early and the foam had come out and decided to do something nice for their customer? Now if it was Recaro I might think it was a mistake... ;)

Nice does that mean everyone else who called about the same thign will get a new seat out of it too?

Surely that has to be a mistake?

HEVY

Hmmm haven't thought about that and usually I feel guilty about things if I'm unsure, I just figured that that part of the story was confirmed and not included. But yeah, you should call, I've had a lot of things replaced due to small things and whether it was a mistake or not they always say to keep it. So maybe it'll work out for you.

Wineaux

Nice does that mean everyone else who called about the same thign will get a new seat out of it too?

Surely that has to be a mistake?
Actually, Britax has a pretty solid track record of replacing seats unexpectedly when people have problems with their products. Their CS is exceptionally good, as is their product, so they don't send out a lot of replacements. They don't need to.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Actually, I'm not so sure I would sell either seat. Britax replaced my DC cover last fall. They said they would send a call tag for me to return the old cover, but they never did. Then ... when I called a month later about getting replacement EPS foam for my Regent (I had accidentally snapped a piece off), they told me there was a hold on a my account. THEN they sent me a call tag for the original cover, which I returned, and they sent the EPS foam right out. So at the very least, I would hold onto the old seat and cover in case they say they want it back in the future.

ZephyrBlue

I'd call Britax and verify their intention of sending an entirely new seat. If they sent a call tag for the old one and you had already gotten rid of it, I imagine you'd be responsible for paying for the one they sent.

Auntie2Avi

They did not send any call tag and when I spoke to the woman she did not say anything about me sending back the seat. I need to call them about getting the Regent recall kit because even though I registered the seat it was not sent to me, I will ask the person about the DC when I call them today.

What cover did the seat come with?

I understand Britax being sympathetic if the seat was less than 12 months old, but I wouldn't think they would replace the seat being 3 years old out of generosity(sp) IYKWIM?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
When I called them for NZ they only offered a new cover to replace the faded one and she had to pay for the foam piece under the leg she was missing as well as the new tether strap and hers plastic was cracked in half.

YOu are very lucky. They did not ask for a CC number when you called did they? If they did they will likely charge you card.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC