Carseat poncho

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Have you seen this?

http://www.carseatponcho.com/instructions.html

It seems kind of like a blanket that stays attached to the child a little better. It doesn't seem like it would interfere with the harness. I wonder how warm it is and how hard it would be to make your own?

One of our members here makes these. :)

If you can sew, they are not hard to make... but if you can't that member will be ready to sell to you. :) I'm really sorry, but my mind is spacing on who it is. :eek:

Lara

They are really easy to make! I made one out of furry purple fleece for my dd. she loves it.

I think the maker's sn is just CarseatPoncho

U

Unregistered

Do any of you have a pattern for the car seat poncho?

christineka

I make them and do not know how to sew any more than bringing the needle in and out. My stitches are horrible! But fleece is very forgiving. I've finally finished all three ponchos for my harnessed kids. I mean to get pictures and write up my non-expert directions, but the computer is having issues and I can't upload photos.

Basically, you get 2 yards of fleece. I get them from the walmart bargain bin. I found a whole bunch on a Monday, not sure if that is the lucky day, or if it was just random.

Then, make a head hole in the middle of both squares. Too small is better than too big and fleece is stretchy.

Then, I make a hood out of two rectangles, folded over. Attach that to the head hole. Make a slit in front. It can be buttoned or zippered or left alone.

Cost is about $10-$15

I made this one last year.
poncho.jpg

scatterbunny

The Car Seat Poncho (linked in the OP) is a great product. :D If they came in a size big enough for my dd, we'd have one.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I use one for Bekah, bought from the car seat poncho lady. Now I have a poncho for me in the car too.

keri1292

CarSeatPoncho sent me one recently and they are so warm and so soft that my 4yo wants his own. They are just gorgeous and very much worth the price, IMO. The poncho will fit two seasons or more compared to your average jacket. :thumbsup:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We have 1 of the ponchos from that link & LOVE it! It's fleece is quite thick, thicker than the fleece I've found at our local fabric store -- it doesn't interfere with carseat usage, but keeps kiddo warm.... The owner/designer had a table at our regional NHTSA + national Lifesavers conferences :thumbsup:

CarSeatPoncho

Hi, Maipenrai!

Yes, I am the inventor of the Car Seat Poncho! The original Car Seat Poncho is two layers of top quality, 400-gram anti-pill fleece with a full length 2-way zipper. Several styles are reversible, so you get 2 looks in one, and they do indeed last 2 or more seasons.

Order a Car Seat Poncho today, and you can have it in 3 days -- without having to drive to find the fabric, find a zipper, measure your child (after chasing your child to get her to sit still), figure out what to cut, cut it, get out your sewing machine, figure out the right stitch and the right tension for fleece, sew it, perhaps have to rip the seams and try again, put the zipper in, try it on your child, etc. etc.

If you are considering making a poncho, calculate not only the cost of materials, but the cost of your time to drive, plan and construct it, and any additional time and cost if you are not happy with the results. Believe me, I've done it, it's not so simple if you do not sew on a regular basis!

My original prototypes have been sized and proportioned by professional tailors and pattern makers, and sewn by professional sewers who also manufacture for DKNY, Pea in the Pod and Motherhood Maternity. Materials are top quality, and workmanship is first rate. My products are fully guaranteed, and proudly made right here in the US of A.

When you buy a Car Seat Poncho, you are truly getting the safe, EASY way to keep your child warm in the car seat!

Please feel free to pm me with any additional questions! I have an additional discussion of why the Car Seat Poncho is worth the price here:

http://www.carseatponcho.com/VALUE.html

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I tried to make one last year, it ended up w/out a hood b/c I screwed it up so bad. lol It's not something I want to make again, I'd buy before making!

Last edited:

jodibug

Thank you so much for posting this!

My daughter's coat is too small (she is 7 mos and the coat is a 12 mo size) and I have been fretting over what to buy next. (18 mos is too big, and I wanted something that wouldn't be such a hassle getting in the car seat).

I just ordered a poncho and I can't wait to get it!

(I have learned my lesson about trying to make my own things. I always end up spending more than it would cost to just buy the item- plus my stuff never turns out right!)

emandbri

Here are some pictures! I ordered the 020 Royal/Plaid (Med/Large) and the blue and the plaid are darker than it is on the website, I like it better! :D

It isn't listed as being reversable but with the exception of needing velcro it totally is, I went ahead and did the velcro and folded it under and it worked fine.

It totally fits Benjamin! Elizabeth will get to wear it for at least 2 years maybe 3! Benjamin is 5 and 44 lbs and 44 inches tall and Elizabeth is 2 years 3 months and 32 lbs and 34 inches tall.

Elizabeth doesn't ride forward facing the only way I could get her picture was to let her use Benjamin's seat! lol

DSC02102.JPG

Here is Benjamin with it on the blue side

DSC02104.JPG

I've been sick, hopefully I'll be better tomorrow and can try it when out!

I'm SOOOOOOO glad I decided not to try to make one! I know there is no way it would be as nice!

emandbri

You would not believe how many comments I get with Elizabeth wearing her poncho! I'm not exaggerating that we walked into costco yesterday and I had 10 people common on how cute she is wearing it!

I love it so much I had professional pictures taken with her wearing it. It was at the end of the shot and she was tired so they aren't the best. :whistle:

0037.jpg

The static was a bit annoying and one of my friends suggested rubbing a dryer sheet on her hair and that has worked great!

She was taking it off in the van but now that it has gotten colder she has gotten better about keeping it on.

It says not to use it with a baby carrier but it did use it OVER a wrap and it worked GREAT!

This has turned out to be money VERY WELL SPENT! I feel so much safer with her in the van then in her fleece jackets even though they aren't very thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC