I just hit a deer....

melniemi

On the way home from karate, I hit a deer. I was probably going 50, hit the brakes at the last minute and hit it going maybe 40?? Anyway, airbags did not go off, seatbelts did lock and my chest actually felt kind of sore for a bit from hitting the seatbelt. Front bumper is pushed in and cracked, headlight broken.

Left a message at insurance, they haven't called back. Maybe I should look for a 1-800 # or wait until morning??? Would you replace seats? The ones I have are in my sig.

Thanks.

ADS

momof2kiddos

I would definatly replace the seats :) I am glad that you and your family are okay.I know when we drive to iowa to visit some in-laws it scares me to death driving at night because you never know if a deer is around the curve :(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Graco requires replacement after any crash. You should absolutely call Britax to confirm, but I don't think that your crash meets their criteria for replacement: if you do replace, it will be a parental decision.

cryswilkins

Aren't you in MI?

Crazy deer.

I would call your insurance and have them replace your seats. Man, was your brand new MA in there?? That sucks.

What insurance do you have?

melniemi

Thanks for all the concern. It was kinda scary and I'm still a little shook up!

Yes, my new marathon was in there:(

My dh thinks I put more stress on the seats when installing then the deer did. The bumper isn't crushed, more like the whole thing got pushed in on one side. Now it has kinda fallen back out, if that makes sense and is sitting so it looks more normal, but a little lopsided.

I am in MI and there are deer everywhere. We have auto-owners insurance. I kinda feel like it wasn't a bad crash but I would hate for my seats to fail in the next crash.

What would you do? According to the link, my Britax should be okay.

ZephyrBlue

Oh Melissa, that's so scary :( I'm glad you and the kiddos are okay.

I'd definately replace the Turbobooster. The Britax seats probably don't qualify for replacement according to NHTSA guidelines. If your ins. will pay for it, though, and you have to pay the deductable anyway, I'd probably file for reimbursement, just to give you peace of mind.

BTW- DD has been sick and not wanting to pose for pics in the Vivo Lite, but I'll have them soon!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am so glad you are ok!! You do not meet the Britax criteria, but I would lean towards replacing myself.

We have deer here, but not like the HUGE deer out east. I do not miss the Deer in the Ohio,WV,PA areas. Although we do have a buck that lives near us that is HUGE. It is the hunters dream rack...LOL.

Wineaux

Glad everyone's OK! I'd definitely replace the Graco, and I'd ask my insurance agent if they'll replace the Britax's.

Oh yeah... Deer chili ROCKS! I'm of the opinion that the least one can do in a case like this is to have the deer for dinner. ;)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
OMG I am glad everyone is okay!
I would replace the seats (well I would make insurance replace them) and then you will also have extra covers for your MA's. Most the time insurance is good about replacing carseats so really what's the harm if they are willing to pay.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I vote replace as well, assuming insurance will cover it, but with one exception... I'd take the Husky out and examine it very thoroughly under bright lights. Assuming it doesn't have any cracks or stress marks, I'd keep it. Because it is truly irreplaceable!

Glad you're okay!

minismom

On the way home from karate, I hit a deer. I was probably going 50, hit the brakes at the last minute and hit it going maybe 40?? Anyway, airbags did not go off, seatbelts did lock and my chest actually felt kind of sore for a bit from hitting the seatbelt. Front bumper is pushed in and cracked, headlight broken.

Left a message at insurance, they haven't called back. Maybe I should look for a 1-800 # or wait until morning??? Would you replace seats? The ones I have are in my sig.

Thanks.

Wow, so scary! Nice to hear everyone is ok. Were the kids with you? I think I'd definitely replace the seats that were being used, if not all!

cryswilkins

Auto owners is who replaced my crashed seat in Sept. There were really great, I just bought a seat and they cut a check. I would call them.

melniemi

Alright! I'll try to get them to replace. When we got the insurance, I asked if they replace in the event of a crash and they said "They need to be replaced in a crash" so hopefully that still stands! I'll keep you posted.:)

The kids were all with me and they are all okay. Ds1 said it was scary and that he wished he had a big safe seat like his brother - his words with no prompting from me! I'll try to get him one now - even if I have to pay the difference. Ds2 said it was kinda fun to fly forward and then back:eek: Silly boy.

MsFacetious

I'd replace if insurance will replace them or you can afford to do it yourself. Otherwise, I would just have to trust Britax on their suggestions.

nisi

Senior Community Member
Phew! Glad everyone is ok! BTDT.

I am comfortable following Britax's guidelines for replacement. They're taking on a huge liability by officially allowing crashed seats to be used at all, so you know they're completely confident that they'll do the job again. They do test and re-test them, and they do look at seats that have been in real world crashes (what do you think the crashed restraint exchange program is all about? :) ). So, if Britax's guidelines don't say replacement is necessary, then I wouldn't feel compelled to replace them.

The TB I'd probably replace. I can tell you from experience that Graco will tell you to replace after ANY crash, no matter how minor. It might just be to protect themselves, but then again, it might not.

Of course, there's your own peace of mind to worry about too. If you'd never feel safe using these seats again, and you can afford to replace them, or manage to get insurance to cover it, then by all means, replace them all!

melniemi

I talked to insurance. She said that typically deer accidents don't warrant carseat replacement. I read her what the graco manual and britax manuals - from the link here - say about replacements. She said that she didn't think it was necessary but if I had reservations about it, she would talk to the claims adjuster.

What should I do??????

Please help. I don't know if it would be a struggle to get them replaced and I don't know if it is necessary - for the Britax anyway. I need to get to a garage to get an estimate on the damage before my claim can be continued through insurance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC