The OFFICIAL Sunshine Kids Monterey Spoilers & Speculation thread

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
To keep the forum from being overwhelmed by multiple threads about the Monterey, all further chat about the US version of this seat should be confined to this thread. (Discussion of the Canadian version should take place on the Canadian and International Issues forum.

As always, much of what is posted here really is just speculation, and even "official" answers straight from the manufacturer are subject to change. It's fun to speculate about what the seat will be and to opine about the features we think the seat will have. However, until the seat actually hits shelves, we really are just guessing about its features. Rumors--even from trusted sources--can be, and often are, totally wrong. Yes, this seat is already available in Canada, but it's still possible that changes will be made to the US version.

Previous threads (just the highlights--use the search feature to find other related posts):
Report from ABC Kids Show
Width of Sunshine Kids Monterey?
SK Monterey without LATCH??
Sunshine Kids Monterey Booster Car Steat - Monterey Pink
Sunshine Kids Monterey in Canada! Woohoo!

Last edited:
ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm a little confused? The Monterey isn't speculation... it's available for pre-order (due in April apparently) and the specs have been released by the company, complete with real-life production photos.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
As always, much of what is posted here really is just speculation, and even "official" answers straight from the manufacturer are subject to change. It's fun to speculate about what the seat will be and to opine about the features we think the seat will have. However, until the seat actually hits shelves, we really are just guessing about its features. Rumors--even from trusted sources--can be, and often are, totally wrong.

Sunshine Kids Monterey in Canada! Woohoo!

I think many of the theads listed are/were speculation but the last thread about it being in Canada is the distributors site and they are pre-selling it. Does that not count as it being offical :confused: I also put it in the Canadian forum since it was available and pertained to Canadians.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, I don't know if this has been on a thread yet, but here is a pic of it naked.

Montereynaked.jpg

UlrikeDG

It's also a "spoilers" thread, which would be real info. Plus, keep in mind that we had quite a bit of info about the Advocate, and that never was released. There could still be issues/changes for the US market.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It's also a "spoilers" thread, which would be real info. Plus, keep in mind that we had quite a bit of info about the Advocate, and that never was released. There could still be issues/changes for the US market.

Was the Advocate pre-sold as well?

I agree with Julie that the other threads belong here, but a website that is pre-selling a long awaited *great* booster for Canada does not seem like a spoiler or speculation.

It would be a shame for that info to get buried in a spoiler and speculation thread... there are a lot of us waiting on this booster and it has been released. I spoke with the distributor earlier today and it will be coming in April... hopefully that doesn't get pushed back.

UlrikeDG

Yes, the Advocate was preordered by some of the parents on this board, even.

Discussion of the Canadian Monterey on the International board would be appropriate. Discussion of the US Monterey should stay in this thread until it is actually released. I'll edit the OP to clarify.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yes, the Advocate was preordered by some of the parents on this board, even.

Discussion of the Canadian Monterey on the International board would be appropriate. Discussion of the US Monterey should stay in this thread until it is actually released. I'll edit the OP to clarify.

Huh, well hopefully this one makes it here then. I totally blanked on the Advocate being pre-ordered.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

jwren

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Monterey-Booster-Seat/dp/B000YJ7G0O

http://spillingthebeans.net/?p=648

Doesn't look like Speculation to me... looks pretty real. It would have been nice to know about this, however because it's been buried deep on here I just happened to come across it...I still plan on going with the frontier, but it's nice to know about booster options for friends with larger kids.. Why is everything so secretive around here. I thought this was suppose to be a support group for learning about the lastest and greatest in child safety? Why is it always hidden till it's out, if you know something is coming and is available for preorder, that means you can buy it (preorder)... so why hide it???? .:rolleyes::confused:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Doesn't look like Speculation to me... looks pretty real. It would have been nice to know about this, however because it's been buried deep on here I just happened to come across it...I still plan on going with the frontier, but it's nice to know about booster options for friends with larger kids.. Why is everything so secretive around here. I thought this was suppose to be a support group for learning about the lastest and greatest in child safety? Why is it always hidden till it's out, if you know something is coming and is available for preorder, that means you can buy it (preorder)... so why hide it???? .:rolleyes::confused:

It's not available for preorder yet in the US that I know of.

I'm not really sure how else to say this, so I'm just going to be direct...

There are large number of topics posted about on a daily basis. Every person who visits this site has individual and specific needs. There are also constantly new seats in the pipeline, and for many of us who have been on this board a long time, we have seen that those seats sometimes don't materialize - or that there is a lot of hype about the seat and then disappointment.

Often times seats are given a release date, and then when the time comes the dates keep getting pushed further & further back. This happened with both the recaro convertibles, and now the compass truefit. In fact, the only seat I recall showing up in the promised time period was the triumph advance, and even then it took time for the seat to become available everywhere just due to distribution reasons.

We encourage people with specific needs to post questions and we provide as much information as requested. There is also a google search engine for the site, and the forum is also equipped with it's own search function.

Please try to keep in mind that there is so much information here, that it would be impossible to prioritize it all because every caregiver who posts here is at a specific stage of seats for his/her own child. It also is more valuable to parents when we are able to offer personalized recommendations based on their own unique circumstances. Not to mention that waiting for a seat coming at some point in the future isn't a possibility for many people and isn't what is going to allow them to keep their children safest if they're in need of a seat immediately.

As such, there is no "hiding" of information. It is readily available if you did a search - or even if you started a post asking about any new seats anyone has heard of. Although, with the change of keeping speculation into single threads, the asking about new seats should become unnecessary because there will be a thread for each new seat once talk starts.

Speculation and spoilers is a broad term, and until a seat is actually in a store, it is only speculation. Britax had pictures of the Advocate released and we knew the features of the seat. Even knew the price and it was available for preorder with an expected shipping date. At some point before shipment though, the seat got scrapped. This is just one example, but it is similar in nature.... I don't expect anything to slow the arrival of the monterey, but the possibility is always there. And until we see it in person, we can't answer which vehicles it will fit in, how it will puzzle with some seats, if it's comfortable, etc. etc. Some things can only be speculated on. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

There has been LOTS of discussion about the Monterey. It hasn't been hidden. Some of us feel it's wiser to encourage parents who NEED seats to choose from the available options -- it's not "great" to have kids outgrowing their seats waiting for something that never ships.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

In my opinion, this type of thread is just the opposite of hiding information. By putting all of the info (and yes, speculation) about this seat in one place, it not only keeps other threads and the board in general from being overrun with questions about the seat, but it allows those who are interested in the seat to find all the info in one place.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
By putting all of the info (and yes, speculation) about this seat in one place, it not only keeps other threads and the board in general from being overrun with questions about the seat, but it allows those who are interested in the seat to find all the info in one place.

:yeahthat: Not secretive at all :twocents:

twokidstwodogs

In my opinion, this type of thread is just the opposite of hiding information. By putting all of the info (and yes, speculation) about this seat in one place, it not only keeps other threads and the board in general from being overrun with questions about the seat, but it allows those who are interested in the seat to find all the info in one place.

Yes, I agree! I'm planning to buy a Monterey when it comes out, and I really like having all the discussion happening in one place, which I can easily find with the search tool if it ever gets buried.

So now for the most important question--what do we think about colors? DD likes pink, but that looks pretty bright. I don't want to be blinded when I look in my rearview mirror!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

Doesn't look like Speculation to me... looks pretty real. Why is everything so secretive around here.

Spilling the Beans is a total speculation blog. Yes, it's available for pre-order at Amazon... however, as previously mentioned in this thread, seats have been available for pre-order before and have not shown up. We really *will* have to wait until it *shows up* on store shelves.

I completely forgot about the Advocate being pre-ordered... so pre-ordering clearly does not always mean the seat is coming.

There is absolutely NO secretiveness here. These threads are all widely available to the general public and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a google tool bar that will search *only* these forums.

Seems pretty easy to find information once you know where to go... now *you* know where to search, use that tool and you won't find anything "secretive" about this forum. Please stop rolling your eyes at this board, use that search tool and get the correct information instead of continually directing false allegations at this board.

It's not available for preorder yet in the US that I know of.

Amazon has it for pre-order. :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I thought this was suppose to be a support group for learning about the lastest and greatest in child safety?

And I know I'm serial-posting and I apologize, but the "latest" isn't always the "greatest" -- nor is the most expensive or fanciest. The Scenera has been around for a long time and no one oohs and aahs over it, but I still recommend it frequently because almost all families can afford it and it keeps kids rear-facing to 35 pounds.

The "greatest" is a seat that fits your child, fits your car, and which you can use correctly every single time. A seat that you can't put in your car and strap your child in, because you don't have it and can't get it, is NOT the greatest child safety seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC