Seatbelt?

CaraMia

I have always installed my older DD's FF carseat using Latch. But before I lock the seat in, I always buckle the seatbelt behind the carseat. I do this because she has - on multiple occasions - grabbed the free seatbelt and "played with it". This makes me incredibly nervous, but there is not much I can do about it except admonish a toddler while trying to drive the car.

Is this safe - if not, why wouldn't it be?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's actually a very good idea to buckle up the unused seatbelt behind the child restraint to help keep it out of the child's reach. :thumbsup: I was encouraged to do so in my tech training class for exactly the concern you're expressing. There has been at least one known case of a child being strangled when he or she played with and became entangled with an unused seatbelt.

CaraMia

That's what always terrified me, because she would try to pull it accross her body "like Mommy's seatbelt". But at 2, she wasn't very strong, and it worried about it retracting and strangling her if it got caught on something.

minismom

Maybe because my dd is only 1yo, but when her harnessed is tight I can't see her being able to lean forward all the way to reach the seatbelt. I've read about this before and I was always curious. Can someone explain how they get a hold of it?

CaraMia

My DD couldn't reach it until she was FF. Then she would just reach around behind herself and grab it. I doubt that a child could reach it RF.

sfeitler

Some RF kids will reach it with their feet, pull it forward and grab it with their hands. I can picture my monkey-child doing this... Fortunately, she hasn't had an interest in the seat belts.

-Sarah

Mommypooh

I have an issue with my 3 year old doing this but he is in the third row of the van and grabs the belt infront of him and pulls it to him... Fortunatly I can hear him when he does it so I just remind him to not do that. I can't keep it buckled as then him and his sister will trip trying to get out of the van so we have to just deal with it. I figure he will get bored with it soon and give up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC