Becoming a CSP tech

KeikiHula

How do you go about finding the classes to get certified to be a car seat tech? I have been thinking about it for a long time and want to get serious. Where we used to live in WA, they had some pretty cool child safety programs, and the local techs were pretty knowledgable and helpful. Here in Northern Idaho, the only one I could find in my area was a sheriff's deputy and he was pretty dumb.
I asked him about the cracked EPS foam in my FPSE and he said, it wasn't a big deal since it was only there for comfort. :eek: He didn't wiggle either of my carseats, just opened the door and looked at them and said "yeah, they look great". *I* know they are installed as best they can be (I have issues with how they fit in my Jeep, but I made them the best they could be, and I had them checked at a inspection in WA), but he didn't even check them. I would hate to think about all the people who have poorly installed seats and he tells them they are "great".
I love working with kids and families and I love anything to do with carseats (it's kind of a sickness! LOL). My ultimate goal is to be a doula and a lactation consultant. This is just my first step. :)

ADS
U

Unregistered

Maybe its just the sheriffs that need more training.

I had a sheriff check my seat here in Spokane that insisted I had to turn him forward facing since he was over one and and over twenty pds. Even though he was within the limits of his seat for rearfacing.

Guess they don't see to many 2 yr olds rearfacing.

KeikiHula

so does that mean I would have to go down to Boise to take the classes, or is that just the guy I need to contact? Thanks for the info! :)

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Well, if it's like here in OR, they bring the classes to cities/towns near you. Oregon's www.actsoregon.org organization has classes all over the state throughout the year, even in the more remote areas. I'm sure he can tell you all about it when you call. I hope they bring classes near you, it sure is more convenient, especially when your littles are so young. Good luck and post back what you find out!

Tara

I know this topic is old....but I was just browsing around today and saw it. Wanted to ask a question or two....

How long and what is the cost of the training classes? If you take classes and get certified in one state...does that cross over to other states should you move? Or is this a state by state kind of thing?
Also, what are the job requirements of a tech? Do you actually teach classes yourself on car seat safety? Is this a paid position?

Can you tell I haven't a clue? ;)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Tara said:
I know this topic is old....but I was just browsing around today and saw it. Wanted to ask a question or two....

How long and what is the cost of the training classes? If you take classes and get certified in one state...does that cross over to other states should you move? Or is this a state by state kind of thing?
Also, what are the job requirements of a tech? Do you actually teach classes yourself on car seat safety? Is this a paid position?

Can you tell I haven't a clue? ;)

From my understanding that your ceritifcation is good in all US states. You would just have to educate on that states carseat laws.

There is no job requirements as long as you pass the test. The course is 4-5days long with a 100 question test and then a seat check event. After that its all volunteer unless you become an instructor but then I am not sure the pay and how easy it is to get teaching jobs.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Tara said:
Is there any cost for the course?

Yes, There is a cost but it can vary greatly by who is sponsering the training. I took mine throught Sit Safe which is VW/Audi's carseat safety program and my cost was only $60 for the Safe Kids certification. Sit Safe covered the rest of my course as they donate 5 community spots to non VW/Audi employees.

bazanna

Senior Community Member
I paid for mine when I took it but I was strictly volunteer as a mom with an interest and not affiliated with any organization at the time. Right now, I'm teaching preschool for a large healthcare organization so I occasionally get paid to do an individual check on company time. If I needed a class for recert, I could probably get at least part of it paid. In addition, I just took another side job as a peer breastfeeding counselor for WIC as part of my county's health department (like I needed yet ANOTHER job LOL!) and I imagine I will do a few checks as part of their paid time when indicated.

I do, however, get reimbursed for my childcare and associated costs (gas, etc) when I work at clinics for these folks: http://www.opt2bsafer.org/index.html

So there you go. If I became an instructor, that would still be a volunteer gig unless I worked for an agency who paid me to do the teaching. Many, many, MANY folks do it all for free...........

One issue I am happy to be free of as a volunteer is that a lot of cops I know who have the certification CANNOT do checks as reps for their agency on a volunteer basis. They can do checks on their own time if they like but they aren't covered by their agencies' liability insurance etc and they can't wear uniforms etc...so they prefer not to do it outside agency time and I can't blame them...

Tara

Thanks for all the info. This certainly wasn't a 'I'll only do it if I get paid' kind of thing, I was just curious about all that. Now I have something to think about/look into :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC