RF Tether in Jeep Wrangler

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
After my dilemma about getting a seat that we could tether while RF in our Wrangler, I can now not find a suitable spot for the tether... :(

Anyone with a Wrangler have a good spot you used? Ours is 1997 and the seats do a fold-and-slide-forward movement to get in the back seat. The track is bolted to the floor with no non-moving parts available to look the tether to.

Not looking good... Hmmm - time for a new Jeep... :p (j/k, btw - mo $$$ for that)

ADS
Hmmm - time for a new Jeep... :p (j/k, btw - mo $$$ for that)

Story of my life, LOL. What I wouldn't give for a new(er) one but DH will be driving his (a '98) til it dies, I think. Partly out of love and partly out of financial necessity. :thumbsdown:

I just called him (he's out with the Jeep) and he doesn't remember where he tethered our RF RA. It's been a while - we didn't have any seats in it for long time because he was away for work. Hopefully we'll get a chance to look tomorrow.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Partly out of love and partly out of financial necessity. :thumbsdown:

I hear ya - DH loves his Jeep and doesn't want to get rid of it... :rolleyes:. We can't right now anyway, but - I'm all for it. Just give me one with high seatbacks in the rear, non-gen3 seatbelts, and tether anchors... :love:.

I hear ya - DH loves his Jeep and doesn't want to get rid of it... :rolleyes:. We can't right now anyway, but - I'm all for it. Just give me one with high seatbacks in the rear, non-gen3 seatbelts, and tether anchors... :love:.

:yeahthat:
We're dreaming about a Wrangler Unlimited. I'd be in heaven with 4 doors. Honestly, his is fine for him and his commute. The 4wd is handy on the roads he has to travel. It just doesn't make a good vehicle for transporting both kids and I'm not a fan of the safety features (or lack thereof) of his current model.
I've asked him to check and see where he might have hooked the RF tether. Will update when I hear from him.

Well, after waiting a couple of days for DH to take a look I went and looked myself. I truly have no idea what he tethered the RF seat to. :eek: I saw a cargo anchor sort of below the seat itself and then as you described, only moving parts.

The seat would have been RF behind the passenger to give him adequate room to have the driver seat back far enough for him to drive. I looked around under the front passenger seat and the only place I could find was holes on the floor of the vehicle. Obviously not "a fixed vehicle seat belt anchor or vehicle seat leg that is bolted to the floor" as the manual calls for. I lifted up the carpet under the driver's seat and it was just plain floor.

This is what under the seat looks like initially:
DSC03751.jpg

What I found after I moved that big black & yellow thing (that has a name but that I can't think of) out of the way:
DSC03753.jpg

Not terribly helpful, as you can see. I don't know what to tell you. If I knew then what I do now I would have been paying much closer attention to the installations.

skipspin

Personally, I'd make a parental decision (sort of, since at one time it was okay with Britax) to tether it to the seat post that holds the back seat up. It's just under tha back seat. If not that, then the cargo hook right below the car seat.

Another option would be to put the RFing seat behind the driver, and tether it to the seat frame and just not move the front seat. I either put RFing DC in through the window, back, or through the passenger side anyway.

If not that, then the cargo hook right below the car seat.

After thinking about it, my guess is that this is what DH did. That's probably why he didn't have a clear recollection of where he looped the d-ring strap.

ETA: I just went back out and looked some more. I don't know how I missed this the first time I looked, but I was able to loop the connector strap around part of the passenger seat base (not exactly a leg) that is bolted to the floor. In case it's not clear, the strap is looped around on the side closest to the center of the Jeep. The side near the door had space too, but I didn't photograph it and I thought the other side was more convenient. It looks like it would work?
Here are two pics of what I mean:
DSC03754.jpg

Same thing, from an angle:
DSC03755.jpg

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC