Found the GN at local Walmart, not impressed..

jwren

:( Well it was alright, don't get me wrong.. Just didn't seem to be made as well as the Britax.. I think I will wait now. Oh and they had it tied to the shelf, the girl said it was because people actually steel them, she said one lady actually took a seat and stroller and walked right out of the store. I guess it looked like her own.. but I don't see how they could do that with a regular seat, I can see how that could be done with the infant seat though... some people..:thumbsdown: Anyway I gave her an idea.. how about locking them down with retractable cords (like they lock camera with) so you could pull it down to the floor and try your child in it, while it's still hooked up... She said that's a great idea.. Anyway I wasn't happy with the fabric, I know that's silly though, the main thing I thought looked very cheap was the chest clasp... It looked like I could just snap the part off that goes into the other side... Imagine if that happened and you were out and about, you would be stuck.. Anyway all in all I guess it was ok, but I think I will hold off and wait for the Frontier... ;) Or maybe check out the other fabric options coming out, as that one was just appeared and felt cheap to me, but I did think it had nice padding, so with a nicer fabric it might really make a difference in this seat... ;)

ADS

lovinwaves

Anyway I wasn't happy with the fabric, I know that's silly though, the main thing I thought looked very cheap was the chest clasp... It looked like I could just snap the part off that goes into the other side... Imagine if that happened and you were out and about, you would be stuck..

Yeah, some of the chest pieces on carseats are definitely flimsy feeling. Although I wouldn't feel "stuck" if one broke on me out in public. If the harness straps are nice and snug I wouldn't worry about it so much. Many other countries do not even require a chest piece on their restraints.

Or maybe check out the other fabric options coming out, as that one was just appeared and felt cheap to me, but I did think it had nice padding, so with a nicer fabric it might really make a difference in this seat... ;)

The Nautilus definitely may not have Britax's luxurious covers or padding, but then again it IS an affordable $149 ;)

Many other countries do not even require a chest piece on their restraints.

The Nautilus definitely may not have Britax's luxurious covers or padding, but then again it IS an affordable $149 ;)

Chest clips are not required on UK seats and Australian car seats. The only ones in NZ that have them are imported from the US. Cosco/Evenflo.

And yeah $149 for a seat that does all that is great! The same seat here would cost $299 +

jwren

Come to think of it your right, I remember just looking at those seats from Europe the other day... No chest clips... so I guess it wouldn't be so bad... I guess it would be worse if the buckle broke...yikes... has that ever happened to anyone?:eek:

Yeah, some of the chest pieces on carseats are definitely flimsy feeling. Although I wouldn't feel "stuck" if one broke on me out in public. If the harness straps are nice and snug I wouldn't worry about it so much. Many other countries do not even require a chest piece on their restraints.

jwren

Actually it's not so bad, it's a safe seat, I guess that's the most important thing... I guess I have just always been spolied with the Britax attention to details...not saying this one doesn't have any, cause it definately does, but it's just different... I can't explain.. Anyway if they add some fabric choices I will probably still buy one as a second seat..;)

Chest clips are not required on UK seats and Australian car seats. The only ones in NZ that have them are imported from the US. Cosco/Evenflo.

And yeah $149 for a seat that does all that is great! The same seat here would cost $299 +

Zaiyne

The graco site has photos up of the seat with the other covers! I really like the looks of the one BRU is going to carry!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
For the record, the chest clip on the nautilus is the same one that's on the SS1, and having used it for many months I can say it's a wonderful chest clip. I highly doubt it would just up and break. ;)

The chest clip itself is actually heavier plastic than the Britax ones, it's just a different style than those ones.

chasingboys

I agree with the pp, in no way do I find the GN cheap (I actually like the chest clip). The cover is not a favorite of mine, but it does it's job and my boys think they're cool! (that's all that matters to me) I love Britax, but not everyone can afford 4 of them. I love it as our back up seat.

arly1983

(The harness adjuster puts Britax to shame, however :rolleyes:)

AMEN! AMEN!

I just saw a GN on display for the first time last night and WOW what a seat for $149 and the harness adjuster is divine, simply divine, and, oh, what leg support. (The leg support on a 65 lb weight limit seat puts Britax to shame:eek:)

More seats with great safety features for less money is WONDERFUL.

Give Graco some time: there will probably be at least a dozen covers to choose from in the future.

I knew the techs out there are excited: you can now recommend two great seats (for ERFing and extended harnessing) that most local walmarts sell and they are both $150 or less (GN and EFTA)

I love my britax seats, however, I wish they would work on some basic problems. They aren't perfect yet. (i.e. adjusters, more crotch and shoulder room, leg support on the convertables)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I love my britax seats, however, I wish they would work on some basic problems. They aren't perfect yet. (i.e. adjusters, more crotch and shoulder room, leg support on the convertables)

I can't say I 100% love my Britax seat anymore, but that's because of the adjuster & shoulder room issues you mentioned.

I know everyone is excited about the new combination seat coming from Britax, but aside from the price factor, if it has the same harness adjuster as the MA there is no way I would consider it. I've grown to really dislike that adjuster. :thumbsdown:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Britax makes pretty seats, with some great features. I liked my Marathon, but I didn't like that my daughter outgrew it 23 pounds before the 65-pound weight limit. I also don't think that the Marathon is twice as good as the EFTA, but it's almost twice the price -- and for most people, I don't think the Regent is twice as good as the Nautilus. Now that there are other HWH seats on the market, I think Britax is really going to have to step up to the plate.

Last edited:

mamaofthree

I love my MA, but hate the harness adjuster. That's a big deal to me because it takes a long time to get ds buckled in properly. As fab as the Frontier sounds, I doubt I'll buy it if the harness adjuster is the same as the MA. I'll get a Nautilus just for the harness and get a LATCHable booster later. I've never seen the GN yet, but I loved the chest clip on my SS1, so if it is the same, yay!

Kimberly

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
There is no perfect seat. Every seat will have positives and negatives. I'm sure the new Frontier will have great features and it will probably also have some characteristics that will make some people refuse to purchase it.

While I understand the desire to hold out for something better, it's also wise to take a good look at your options and figure out which features are a priority.

magoose

I got chewed out at our local Walmart for trying my DS in the seat. The store employee told me I was not allowed to try my son out in it as it was dangerous. I had the seat standing on the floor of the store and leaning agains a metal post. She told me I had to buy the seat based on age and weight guides. Anna

Oh and they had it tied to the shelf,...................................Anyway I gave her an idea.. how about locking them down with retractable cords (like they lock camera with) so you could pull it down to the floor and try your child in it, while it's still hooked up... She said that's a great idea..

lovemyfamily

I love my MA, but hate the harness adjuster. That's a big deal to me because it takes a long time to get ds buckled in properly. As fab as the Frontier sounds, I doubt I'll buy it if the harness adjuster is the same as the MA. I'll get a Nautilus just for the harness and get a LATCHable booster later. I've never seen the GN yet, but I loved the chest clip on my SS1, so if it is the same, yay!

Kimberly

I am confused about what is so bad about the harness adjuster on the MA? Taking a long time to buckle kids in? I don't get it? I find the MA to be a very easy seat to get DS#2 buckled in to. Or are we talking about when we have to rethread the straps to move them to the next slots? That is a bit of a PITA, but really not something I hate, considering that I don't do it that often.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC