Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Macs vs. Combi

Macs vs. Combi

I had good luck with my booster seat question, so thought I would try the stroller forum ...

I am looking for a new lightweight stroller. My boys are a small 2 and a big 4, so I want one that can handle a 55lb child. I have narrowed it down to a Maclaren Triumph or a Combi. I should also tell you that we are using this as our mall stroller and for an upcoming trip to Disney, I have one that I can use for going on walks. So I'm looking for a compact one too.

I have read a lot of threads and it seems like the Combi owners have issues with the wheels and steering. I obviously like the price tag on the Combi better, but will I be disappointed in a couple of months? Both boys are over 20lbs.

My husband told me I'm obsessing (I've been doing A LOT of research) and to just go ahead and buy the Mac, but I really hate to spend that much money on another stroller, since we're probably only going to need it for a short while (DS2 already hates being in the stroller when big bro is allowed to walk). I know everyone loves the Mac, but is really worth $50-$60??

Thanks!!
    DS4 FF Britax Marathon
    DS2 FF Britax Roundabout

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Macs vs. Combi

Yes, the mac is definitely worth it. And has better resale value! The Combis are a massive pain to push and steer as soon as the kiddo is 20 pounds :P (and the seat's small...)... A Volo you could keep in your car for a few years to come for super long days out, and it's so tiny you won't even notice it (it's even easy to slap on your shoulder when the kiddos are walking...I've toted mine around many a zoo, then been glad to have it on the long walk back to the parking lot for my tired 4 year olds!). You can't hang a lot off the mac handles when you have a 'get up and go' kid, they'll get up and it'll go backwards, but the basket is a good enough size for several winter coats or a medium sized diaper bag/big purse...I can even balance cokes in there when I'm at the mall, haven't spilled one yet. I think the best thing about the mac is that you can hold a heavy store door open with one hand and push the stroller over the door jamb with one hand, even with bigger kids... that was the first thing I remember loving about mine (after having a string of 'el cheapos' before splurging the 99 for the Volo when it first came out, lol)

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Yes, the mac is definitely worth it. And has better resale value! The Combis are a massive pain to push and steer as soon as the kiddo is 20 pounds :P (and the seat's small...)... A Volo you could keep in your car for a few years to come for super long days out, and it's so tiny you won't even notice it (it's even easy to slap on your shoulder when the kiddos are walking...I've toted mine around many a zoo, then been glad to have it on the long walk back to the parking lot for my tired 4 year olds!). You can't hang a lot off the mac handles when you have a 'get up and go' kid, they'll get up and it'll go backwards, but the basket is a good enough size for several winter coats or a medium sized diaper bag/big purse...I can even balance cokes in there when I'm at the mall, haven't spilled one yet. I think the best thing about the mac is that you can hold a heavy store door open with one hand and push the stroller over the door jamb with one hand, even with bigger kids... that was the first thing I remember loving about mine (after having a string of 'el cheapos' before splurging the 99 for the Volo when it first came out, lol)

I agree with everything she said. You wont go wrong with a Mac.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

CPS Technician

Get the Mac for sure!

PS... Check out the website selling Mac's at a major discount that I have linked in a previous post in this forum.
    Ian James - 3.5 Years
    FF Learning Curve Truefit and FF Britax RA

I agree with the others. With DS we went through several cheapy strollers (and we didn't even use them a whole lot because of baby-wearing). But they would break, parts would come off, or become hard to steer. I remember being on a day outing far from home when the wheel fell off our Evenflo stroller b/c the plastic pin broke. DH was sick of it but I talked him into hauling it home...

When DD arrived, I splurged and bought a Maclaren Quest. Still not used daily or even regularly - but we love it.

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's

I agree with the others. With DS we went through several cheapy strollers (and we didn't even use them a whole lot because of baby-wearing). But they would break, parts would come off, or become hard to steer. I remember being on a day outing far from home when the wheel fell off our Evenflo stroller b/c the plastic pin broke. DH was sick of it and wanted to leave it on the sidewalk, but I talked him into hauling it home...

When DD arrived, I splurged and bought a Maclaren Quest. Still not used daily or even regularly - but we love it. It's the only stroller we use...

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's

Mac, hands down
    11yo DD *69lb* Backless Turbo
    8.5yo DD *45lb* High Back Turbobooster/Pink Monterey
    6yo DS *43lb* Cowmoo Parkway SG/Lizards In Line Turbobooster
    2y4m DD*24lb*RF in an Alma MR 65 and Kathryn RA 55

I have a Combi, and I regret it. It steers like poo now that Zoe is heavier (24 lbs).

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

CPS Technician

I vote for Mac too, without a doubt. It's worth it, I play with them both all day at work!

Senior Community Member

I got a combi savvy soho, lets seeeee the wheels wore down and it became really hard to steer because the hinge (bracket) in the middle of the push handle got loose and was very rickety. Sold it for $10 at a yard sale.

Love Love my Mac Triumph, enough to buy two of them.

Mac's, are awesome. My Quest is the first stroller I ever truly loved!

Definitely a Mac.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Thanks all for the advice! I knew everyone favored the Macs, but it was good to hear some things about the Combi. Now to find a Triumph at a decent price. The boys really liked that one - my youngest called it his "spaceship" and that's always a good thing! I just got some BRU coupons in the mail!
    DS4 FF Britax Marathon
    DS2 FF Britax Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by nrod View Post
    Thanks all for the advice! I knew everyone favored the Macs, but it was good to hear some things about the Combi. Now to find a Triumph at a decent price. The boys really liked that one - my youngest called it his "spaceship" and that's always a good thing! I just got some BRU coupons in the mail!
    http://www.tinyride.com/Maclaren-Tri...007-P1821.aspx

http://www.babyage.com/products/2405...h_stroller.htm

http://www.arunningstroller.com/Merc...egory_Code=Mac

I would also check your local craiglist too.

Have fun stroller shopping
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Hi,

You should also check out www.albeebaby.com,as they always have maclarens on sale.

http://www.albeebaby.com/ma20qumodsti3.html

http://www.albeebaby.com/ma20vostinca.html

Heather

Thanks for the websites! I've checked all around. There are some decent prices on the Maclarens right now - so I'm glad I started looking early.

Now my next dilemma ... cupholders?? I'm a huge diet coke addict, mostly from the fountain (i.e. McDonalds, etc.). Can any of you recommend a good cup holder? Are the Maclaren organizer bags any good? I've also looked at the Buggy Buddy, but don't really like the fact that I have to remove it all the time. I looked at the Valco, but it doesn't look all that sturdy to me. And then there's the cup holder for the kids? Since both are past sippy cup age, are there any out there that attach at their level?
    DS4 FF Britax Marathon
    DS2 FF Britax Roundabout

Senior Community Member

I like the Maclaren organizer. I also have one by Carry You that is nice too. Both of them work well with 16-20 oz bottles.

My kids use "sport bottles" when we are out and about so they just hold them or I put them in the organizer or basket. They don't seem to mind at all.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I've read the Liquid Holster is nice for grownups, and maybe the skip hop saddlebag would work for the kidlets? Holds a few little things and has a cupholder on the front end. Built NY makes 20oz bottle holders (and other sizes) that have a snap on handle, we have a bunch of those for our Klean Kanteens, Siggs, and Avents and the kids love them, they snap on anywhere.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    The Combis are a massive pain to push and steer as soon as the kiddo is 20 pounds :P
    Ah, that explains it! We didn't have problems with steering when we first got the stroller. But lately it has been a pain.