BRU says Radian 80 discontinued?

Kabes

True or False? After much debate I finally decided and now I need to move fast b/c we were in an accident yesterday.

Does anyone know a store that stocks them in NJ? Thanks!

ADS

Wineaux

I've been thinking that SKJP would release a new version of the seat with the higher RF limit. It also could just be that they discontinued the Manhattan cover in favour of the SuperCool as they look so much alike. I mean, how many grey covers do you REALLY need?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My BRUs haven't ever even seen a Radian. They wouldn't know it from Adam. I wouldn't trust them to know when it's been discontinued. A lot of them have been saying they're not carrying the Parkway anymore because it's been discontinued. Um, yeah, in December 2008....

Where in NJ are you? BuyBuyBaby or USA Baby or small boutique baby stores like that may have the Radian. I don't know about the 80 though. Do you need the 80? The 65 has the same top slots as the 80, so they'll both be outgrown by height at the same time. The covers and padding are different, however.

BuyBuyBaby:
Paramus, NJ *
240 Route 17 North
Paramus, NJ 07652
Phone: (201) 599-1900
Fax: (201) 599-6516
Click for Map

Totowa, NJ
545 Route 46 West
Totowa, NJ 07512
Phone: (973) 826-1010
Fax: (973) 826-1002
Click for Map

Cherry Hill, NJ
1590 Kings Highway North
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
Phone: 856-354-5162
Fax: 856-354-5163
Click for Map

New York, NY
270 Seventh Ave.
(Between 25th and 26th)
New York, NY 10001
Phone: (917) 344-1555
Fax: (917) 344-1566
Click for Map

USABaby:
1865 E. Rt. 70
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003

Phone: (856) 874-0140

Are you near the NY Metro area at all? If you are there are probably more places in NYC to call. I'm trying to remember the name of the store up on the Upper West Side. I think City Kids? NYers will chime in if you're in that area I'm sure.

Wendy

Kabes

Thanks Wendy! I'll start making phone calls. At the moment we are at the shore but Dh has family in Central Jersey and we have gone into NYC a couple of days during our trip. I'm not sure I want to drive in again since my car seats aren't "good".

Kabes

USA Baby in Cherry Hill has both the Radian 80 and the Regent in stock! There is also A buy buy Baby around the corner from them that I haven't called yet. It is an hour and a half drive but I'm heading out. Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Excellent!!!

My husband was born in Cherry Hill. :) I've never gotten off the Turnpike there, but I think of him as I drive to NY and see the water tower with Cherry Hill on it.

Wendy

SillyLily

Right Start also carries Radians in their stores, but you'd have to look to see if there is one near you.

Mylilboyblue

FYI - I work at the Buy Buy Baby in Totowa and the one in Cherry Hill hasn't opened yet. They are our newest store, me thinks they open next month.

We have the Manhattan Radian and the Regent in Onyx, Sahara, Madison, and Huntington.

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
When a BRU associate says something is discontinued, they mean BRU has discontinued carrying the product, not that the manufacturer has discontinued producing the product. For example: BRU has discontinued the Air Booster...but Graco has not discontinued manufacturing it (at least as far as I know).

R.

Kabes

We are now the proud owners of 3 Radians and 2 Regents from USA Baby in Cherry Hill, NJ. I would not recommend them for service though the sales woman knew nothing about car seats and the manager was not nice to Dh at all. I would expect better when making such a large purchase. The stock guy from the back they got to helpus out to the car was the best one there.

I guess I didn't realize that the Regent doesn't have the belt lock offs like the Marathon and it doesn't come with a locking clip like most other carseats! I was shocked; I expected more from Britax.

I can't wait to get home and have a tch inspect our install. I am going to read the manuals VERY carefuly tonight and make any adjustments in the morning.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wonderful!!!

How odd that the Regent doesn't come with a clip. It's the only Britax that allows it, so I would have assumed it came with one.

Sorry you had such an awful experience. That's quite a lot of money to be putting down in one day, they should have treated you better.

Wendy

Kabes

Thanks again, Wendy! I'm off this morning to buy locking clips for the Regents. I installed them with the ones from our accident for last night because the store didn't sell them!!! I figured that was better than no locking clip or the old carseat and the old locking clip which were my other options.

Even though our car willl still drive and we choose to keep it since we are so far from home (it is loaded up with gear), it will probably be totalled when we get home. I HOPE the replacement has LATCH and locking seat belts. I understand locking clips but they are a pita.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why do you need locking clips for the Regents? Are your cars older than 1996? Cars newer than that have locking belts and you don't need locking clips for them, just lock the seatbelt (see your vehicle manual for how) (Regents also require top tethers anchors at 50 pounds, so if your cars don't have those, you'll need to get them installed :thumbsup:)

Kabes

Our van is a 97 (Town & Country) and the seat belts do not lock. The top tethers are being installed when we get back to Va. if we don't get a new car. No one is over 50 lbs. yet.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They lock. They lock at the buckle, rather than at the shoulder. When you install the seats tightly make sure the lapbelt is snug, that's what does the holding. If for some reason they're not staying as tight as you'd like you can simply unbuckle the seatbelt, make sure it stays at tight as it was, and then flip over the buckle (the male end) 180 degrees. That will keep the seatbelt snug and you won't need a locking clip at all.

I don't know how old your Regents were, but the new Regents (since 6/18/07) require that a tether be used over 50 pounds, or when the shoulder and lap belt are being used in the short belt path. And the short belt path must be used over 40 pounds. The recline bar is now required for any installation.

Wendy

Kabes

My oldest is 40 lbs. She has never weighed over and sometimes weighs less 38-40. Until I get the anchors installed how would you install her Regent (new)?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would install it with the long belt path for now, and if you have a chance to install it with a lapbelt and the short belt path later that would be fine.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC