HELP.....I need to move seats but I don't know where to put them!!

Amaris

I'll try to explain as best as I can. Currently Michael is in a graco air booster in the center of the middle row. Isaiah is in the regent installed with the lbp behind the driver, and Kaitlin is in her ss1 (for now) behind the passenger installed with the seatbelt. My problem is that the buckle for Michael's seatbelt is right beside the buckle for the regent and he's unbuckled it twice now trying to buckle himself in. I can't buckle him in because my had doesn't fit in there! The regent install with latch is horrid in my expedition. I tried switching the regent and the ss1 and installing the ss1 with latch so he couldn't unbuckle it, but that didn't work. With the regent on the other side and the air booster right against it the booster is sitting on top of the buckle for that seatbelt. I've tried having Kaitlin in the middle, but lifting her over the other seats is extremely difficult. I do have a 3rd row that Michael could sit in the middle of, but I have a few issues with that. I only have side airbags in the first 2 rows, not the 3rd. Also, there isn't a lot of room between the 3rd row and the back of the truck, so I feel like if we get rear ended it could be really bad for him. I've thought about just keeping it like it is, but re-installing the regent while in the parking lot, in the snow, with 3 kids, is not my idea of fun and I've had to do it twice now. Even worse than that, what if he unbuckles it and I don't realize it. Both times he's realized what happened and told me, but I can't count on that. What would you do??

Edited to add that the middle seat in both rows is smaller than the outboard seats and the regent doesn't fit in either of them. It sits on top of the buckle. Also, all 3 middle row positions have latch, the 3rd row only has a tether anchor in the middle position and I can't add more if any of that effects what you would do!

ADS

Mattkarn

Can you twist the buckle stalk a half turn so it is facing inwards toward the regent? Or maybe put a piece of velcro over the release button so Michael can feel that its not his buckle.

ETA: If that doesn't work I think I would try the regent in the middle of the third row.

Amaris

Can you twist the buckle stalk a half turn so it is facing inwards toward the regent? Or maybe put a piece of velcro over the release button so Michael can feel that its not his buckle.

ETA: If that doesn't work I think I would try the regent in the middle of the third row.

I'll try the velcro. The regent doesn't fit in the middle of either row because the middle seats are smaller. It sits on top of the buckle, and if you move it over enough so it doesn't then the seatbelt comes out almost in the middle of the top of the regent! I'm not sure why they did the seats that way!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think the PP had great ideas. Try to turn the buckle so the button can't be reached or the scratchy velcro on the buckle so he knows it is the wrong belt.

Amaris

Well, after an hour of fighting (I don't have any velcro and I just saw the sock post) I managed to get the regent in the middle of the second row. The booster is still buckling beside the regent, but somehow it's easier than having the booster in the middle. Michael is having a little trouble since the seatbelt is going in the opposite direction than before, but with the way it is now I can get my hand down in there and buckle him. This way I can also see out my rearview mirror again. I am still thinking about moving him back to the middle, but I don't think I am going to. The seatbelt was twisting at the shoulder guide because I had to raise the back up and the seatbelt was actually coming out of the seat below the guide. It kept coming out. Overall I'm happy with the way it is. Getting Isaiah tight is going to be a bit tougher, but easier than lifting Kaitlin over now and tightening her rf when she moves to a convertable. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will still put some velcro over the other buckle, just so he knows for sure which one is his!

Edited to add that the suggestions here beat dh's.....he wanted to put duct tape over the buckle!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC