Australian car seats in US?

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I live in Australia and need to get a car seat for my 3 month old son. We'll be moving to the US when he's 12 months. Can I use a convertible car seat I buy here for him in the US? Or do I need to get one in the US instead? Are there laws saying the car seat has to conform to specific US standards? THe Australian Standards are the safest in the world I've been told so the seat would be very safe there. Anyone know the answer? Thanks.

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Will you be living here permanently or temporarily? If you are here on a temp basis, you can use your seats from Australia. If you are here permanently, legally, you have to switch to US seats.

U

Unregistered

I know legally we cant use a US child seat in Australia..

Cant use a seat that hasnt been approved by Australian Standards.

Shame becuase US has some awesome seats that would sell well here..

The silly thing about it all they are made by the same companies britax and so on but they choose not to bring the seats here.

Sue

U

Unregistered

Hi, We'll be in the US permanantly so it's best to get a new seat from the US I guess.

Safe n Sound is the brand name for Britax in Australia and they seem to have different models here than in the US. I will be purchasing a Britax one in the US.

Do the Britax US models have an anchor point strap like they do in Australia?

Thanks!

U

Unregistered

If you mean a strap that comes down from the top of the seat (in back) and is tethered to an anchor on the floor or back of a car, yes. They can be used forward facing or rear facing.
I'm curious what the difference is in standards between the U.S. and Australia. Actually between any countries! I find it facinating that each country is convinced that their standards are THE standards to be followed!! It is too bad these standards can't BE STANDARD in more than one country. Makes it tough on consumers!! ( But a good deal for the car seat companies I bet).
C.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Fortunately the US was smart enough to follow Australia's leading example of using top tethers :D. They also have a "split crotch strap" so crash pressure isn't applied to the genitals. There's no evidence that a single crotch strap ever causes damage to genitals, so we shouldn't feel to bad that we don't have that in the US. They also don't have chest clips (ours aren't even mandated by federal standards here, consumers just like them, so our seats have them). Britax sold an "Australian inspired" seat, the "Galaxy" for a short while, but it was difficult to use and sold very poorly, and was discontinued quickly.
We're lucky here in the US...we have the best of all car seat worlds: Extended Rearfacing like Sweden has, Top Tethers like Australia and Canada, and large booster seats, like Germany requires for all kids up to age 12 to ride in. :)

U

Unregistered

It is a shame we dont have the chest clip here in Australia :(

You cant even buy them aftermarket...

Sue

U

Unregistered

Just curious. With the booster age requirements creeping up ( a good thing in my mind) and countries like Germany requiring boosters to age 12, is it possible that a child could be raised too high sitting on a booster? I'm thinking that some kids may really be tall enough for the shoulder belt to ride in the right place across the shoulder but with a booster it might then go across the arm or come from below the shoulder in certain cars.
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Good question.... At that point, I'm guessing the child would pass the 5 Step Test & the booster might be less safe - but, if the lap belt still crosses the tummy, then I think I'd rather have them in a booster even if he shoulder belt is too low :eek:

U

Unregistered

OK, my kids will probably NEVER pass the 5 step test as small as they are!! But I just wonder if the law says booster 'till 12 or 8 is there a provision for 'unless pass 5 step test' or are the parents of large, tall kids at risk of a fine for not obeying the law?
C.

U

Unregistered

Australian law says up to 8 i think its a wonderfull idea but untill the police get off there bums and start issueing some fines people will just ignore it like they do today.

i think its great germany has up to 12 yrs old but do they sell seats for up to 12 yrs old for all weight ranges....

Good ideas but not put into practice..

Sue

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Just thought I'd mention that recently (currently?) Alabama had pending legislation that would require boosters for all kids under 12 yrs and/or 4'9" :)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Unlike the US, German store shelves have more boosters than any other type of seat. Lots and lots of boosters. Many brands and many models.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC