How long RF with LONG legs?

T

TaliaJenea

18mo DS has pretty long legs, so he always has to splay them out on either side of the seatback or tuck them up cross-legged. DH doesn't feel like it's safe for him to ride that way, so he wants to turn him FF.

Any insight?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
His feet, hips, knees, and legs will not be injured in a crash. There have been no documented cases of lower extremities injuries reported. There have, however, been MANY document cases of neck, head, and spinal injuries from prematurely forward facing. Even if leg injuries were possible, which would you prefer? Leg or spine? Carseats are not designed to protect legs. Those are an added bonus. Kids can deal with broken legs, even severed legs. They can't deal with broken necks or severed spinal columns.

Have him read this page (http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx) and watch the videos at the bottom.

As for how long? Here's my five year old. So apparently pretty long.

1024886238_c9321f8bf6.jpg

Wendy

nrod

My son is also tall and I asked his pediatrician, who told me exactly what the other posters said. His head and neck were more important to protect and if anything, he might have a minor leg injury. Much safer to be rear-facing until those neck muscle strengthen.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Good to hear your ped. is on board about RF. :thumbsup: It's not the muscle strength or muscle development that is a concern really, though. It's the spinal column's development and the hardening/fusion of the protective vertebrae as the child grows older that really matter and why extended rear facing is recommended as long as possible. There's an excellent illustrated post about the spinal column/vertebral development showing the progression from an infant to a 6 year old on another board. If I can find the link, I'll post it here for reference. :) Edited to add link: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=180970

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC