Need Opinions on a new seat

steph

Okay so call me crazy (or maybe I'm just trying to find a new excuse to buy a new seat;)) but I need suggestions.

I'm selling one of our BV's - I just can't get over the head slumping that is occuring now. I'm keeping one for DH's car since A) Ryan is hardly ever in there and B) DH doesn't have side curtain airbags and Ryan is outboard in his car.

But I need/want a new seat for my car. I really love Britax (I'm stuck on rear facing tethering and convinced of it's added safety:cool:) but with Ryan being so big for his age I'm thinking I should suck it up and get a Recaro or Radian for the 35 pound rf limit - It also doesn't help that I really want the coomooflauge cover:p!!

Ryan is 22 months, 35 inches, 30 pounds, 13 2/3 inch torso and my goal is to rf until 3

So WWYD?

1. Get the MA with the 33 pound rf limit - (you don't think Ryan will reach the 33 pound limit soon)

2. Get a Recaro (if so which one is the best) - I am nervous of the shoulder space in the seat
IMG_2339.jpg

3. Get a Radian

I can't get the BV in my car in the center (due to the seatbelt) but I think that the Radian will rf fine in the center of my Pilot.

I wanted to wait for the 35 pound rf limit on the MA but I may be waiting awhile for that!!!!!!

So give it to me straight (you can tell me I'm nuts too if that's what your thinking:rolleyes:)

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
How bad is the head slumping that you are experiencing now? Do you think it is bothering *him*? I know it can bother mom because it looks uncomfortable to us but that doesn't mean it is for them. Have you adjusted the recline on his current seat to lessen the slumping?
I don't think your crazy, I just think you really want a new seat!:p I think that Advocate you tried to oreder gave you the bug girl! I have the bug too but I can't decide what I need.
If it were me I would try to make the BV work until the 35lb Britax seats come out. It sounds like Ryan might really benefit from the extra 2 lbs of rf'ing so I would use what I have until something more suitable comes out.
The Recaro is HUGE! I just can't see using that seat rf'ing...I think it would drive me batty with how big it is. And I am like you and *need* the rf'ing tether.:twocents:

steph

Well the EFTA is out - Ryan doesn't have that much more room RF in it (height wise) plus I really prefer the rf tether.

Danielle, your right, I was majorly bummed when I didn't get the Advocate;). The head slumping is fairly significant in the BV, it basically falls straight forward (and to couple that with Ryan's snoring problem and how it is increased when his head falls forward it bothers me). I have it fairly reclined - high 30's, maybe 37-38 degrees so I wouldn't want to go much more than that.

I think what I will do is sell the Park avenue BV and just keep the onyx right now. If we need a seat before the 35 pound rf Britax come out I will get either the Radian or the MA.

So let me ask you guys this - does the 35 pound rf limit on the Radian trump the deeper sides on the MA (33 pound version) and the cowmooflauge print;)-assuming your kiddo was 30 pounds like Ryan?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know when or if the 35 pound shift is. It'd be awesome if it was now. All that shell up there not being used for those last two pounds. But I don't know. And so I'm going to assume 33 until I know otherwise. Better conservative than sorry.

Wendy

natysr

I would get the Marathon. We also had issues with headslumping in the Blvd, and I really started to no like it. We don't have any problems with it in the Marathon. It wasn't that I minded the head slumping, but Jordan did mind, a LOT.

steph

I would get the Marathon. We also had issues with headslumping in the Blvd, and I really started to no like it. We don't have any problems with it in the Marathon. It wasn't that I minded the head slumping, but Jordan did mind, a LOT.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the MA alot. I guess I'll just see how long we can go holding out for the 35 pound rear facing limit - I just hate to miss the sale. Maybe I could order it from Target and hold on to it, does anyone know how long they give you for returns?

I actually don't think Ryan minds it has much as I do, like I said his snoring is increased greatly when he has his head slumping:rolleyes:.

gwenvet

I know you said that you wanted to get to 3yrs RF, but honestly I don't think it's going to happen weight wise. I personally would use the BV for the next 3lbs and get a Regent. I wouldn't spend the big bucks on a convertible that I was only going to get another 2lbs out of. I would rather spend the $ on an awesome seat that will last until he is 8! Sorry to be so contradictory.:twocents:

steph

I know you said that you wanted to get to 3yrs RF, but honestly I don't think it's going to happen weight wise. I personally would use the BV for the next 3lbs and get a Regent. I wouldn't spend the big bucks on a convertible that I was only going to get another 2lbs out of. I would rather spend the $ on an awesome seat that will last until he is 8! Sorry to be so contradictory.:twocents:

I totally see your point but since I want more kiddos I'm not that worried about having a spare MA or other seat laying around (since it will just be passed down). If Ryan was going to be my only one than I would definately consider it!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC