New sign in Target car seat section

ZephyrBlue

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't seen a thread about it.

I was cruising the car seat aisle in Target yesterday and there is now a sign right in front of the seat display that says "Please do not put children in display furniture" or something like that. The seats are not bolted to the display like they are in Walmart, and I've taken them down a bunch of times to try kids in them. I asked an associate if they were referring to all the "furniture", if it excluded car seats and strollers, etc. She said that customers are not allowed to try their kids in any of the baby gear for liability reasons- if someone puts their kid in a car seat while it's sitting on top of the shelf and the seat falls to the ground and the kid gets hurt, Target is liable. So no more trying seats at Target. What's the purpose of having display models if you can't try them? :thumbsdown:

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'd put the seat on the floor and then put child into it.

If they want to be a pain about--maybe you should tell them you'll be taking your baby gear purchases elsewhere.

My friend got fussed at for pulling down a baby einstein saucer and putting her 4 month old in it.

Susan

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Our Target has them bolted to the shelves as well. Usually stuff like this comes up when an incident has happened. My guess is corporate is trying to cover thier but because thay have been threatened with a lawsuit :twocents:.

Mama2J

Ours are not bolted to the shelf, and I've taken them down to let J try them. I guess no more playing in the carseat aisle. :(

HEVY

When I was trying seats a buybuybaby they actually told me to try her in it on the shelf. I checked it out first cause in the other stores the shelves are a bit flimsy. But I would rather take it down and try it. But as for liability they are right especially since most of the items that need assembly are not properly assembled, they are assembled for display not for use. Places like bbb will assemble properly cause they encourage you to try it out. Most car seats don't need assembly but for those that do and for other items I would seriously think and look before trying it out.

NVMBR02

Our Target has had a sign out like that for quite awhile. The seats aren't bolted to the shelves and so far no one seems to enforce the rule. I have removed the seat from the shelf and put my son in it. :eek: So far no one has said anything, I wonder if they are going to enforce it now? :(

laurenrachey

Well what can they do? Nothing really other than tell you. And since you *didn't see the sign* oops, you put the seat back up and ask how they expect you to buy a seat without even seeing if you child will fit in it, then ask for some telephone numbers on up the food chain to call and complain. At least that's what I would do. I can understand that it creates a liability on the shelf, but I see no problem with putting them on the floor. The sign should read, please set the child seat on the floor or ask for assistance in fitting and selecting a seat for your child. Not that they would be helpful, but.... KWIM. If they had signs that made it clear that the seats were not secure and must be put on the floor, I would thing that would remove their liability. I would probably also tell them I'd take my baby gear purchases somewhere else (knowing that I would absolutely be back day after tomorrow for a candle holder, a toothbrush holder, maybe a valentine's day card, a bag of clothespins....... Ah, I still love Target)

Simplysomething

The ones at our target aren't bolted to the shelf, and it has a sign like that, but the furniture isn't in the same place as the car-seats. They don't share space.

Knowing how the shelves and things are rigged together in retail, I wouldn't ever put my child into a seat that was bolted on to the shelf, because who knows whats really holding that thing up. lol

mamaofthree

I don't know if my Target has those signs. They prob do and I've just never noticed them, lol. Nothing is bolted down so I just take anything down that I want to look at and put it back when I'm done.

Kimberly

amyg530

i've never noticed a sign like that at mine. i usually take the seats down but the other day i hopped connor up into like all of them just real quick to see how many he was at the top slots for, so i never even let go of him.

veggiegirl228

Our Target's don't have seats bolted down (well the last time I checked) and when I tried DD in seats I put them on the floor b/c I'm not putting her in it up on the shelf.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
If it's not bolted down, why would you need to put your child in it while it's on the shelf anyway???? Just put it on the floor and do it. And yes, it is a liability for Target. My mom works at Target and can tell you that they will get in big trouble if someone does something stupid, gets hurt and then sues Target. People are too sue happy these days and will sue even if it's their own fault.

MaryAnn

I went in Target last weekend and wanted to try ds in an EFTA, but it was attached to the shelf with a plastic tie of some sorts. Major disappointment! Wouldn't bolting down the car seats tempt some people to put their child in the seat while it's on the shelf?

However, I did get to mess around with the strollers because they weren't tied down.

jwren

This is just about as bad as a place that advertises selling a particular carseat, then when you call to see it before you go by they say they don't keep them in stock but can order... Ok in this day and age I can order it online so why go somewhere where I have to pay more and pay tax and not even get any better benefit, like try before you buy...what's the purpose if you have to buy it to try it.. My advise is to go to babysrus, I know there you can try most of the seats but not all.. at least all the ones they probably have at Target..and usually there is a carseat expert there to help take them down and explain them, even though there have been times that I've been there and think I know more about it then them. lol..

Here's an idea. :whistle::twocents:Why doesn't someone create a brick and morter store chain that sells every brand of baby and kids car seats and safety kids stuff and have licenced techs on hand to help, low prices and demos to try.. have at least one of these stores in each major city and then maybe we could all find what we want and need and all the help we are looking for....:rolleyes:;) Oh and also an online store with free ship to nearest store like Walmart does..just in case something is out of stock.. :)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The seats were bolted down in Tar-ghetto, but the ones on the nicer side of town are not. There wasn't a sign up in our Target a few weeks ago, and I've pulled seats off the shelf in the past to try out in there.

Jordynsmama

The seats were bolted down in Tar-ghetto, but the ones on the nicer side of town are not. There wasn't a sign up in our Target a few weeks ago, and I've pulled seats off the shelf in the past to try out in there.

:p Tar-ghetto!
Ours are not bolted down but people always look at me crazy when i try Jordyn. !

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC