Another sunshade question

laurenrachey

Do you think a sunshade is safe to use? I was hoping to get some responses about safety in my other thread. I'm looking at this one that someone suggested...

http://protect-a-bubusa.com/carseatsunshade.shtml

Also, does anyone know if this particular one has to be put on and taken off every time it is used or can it just sort of flip back (I have an SUV, so if it flipped back and down it wouldn't be blocking my sight).

ADS

laurenrachey

Okay one more time...

If one of these goes in between the seat back and the carseat, do you think it is safe (assuming it doesn't interfere with the tether).

I tried searching the forums and I can't find much about this. Mostly just stroller shades.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Any add ons are a no no. This looks like it is attached to the car seat, so I would say no. Stay with cling oned instead. None of the roll down ones, the will be projectiles.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I was going to say sunglass. But it looks like you already have that! That is what I used.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
The one you linked to is not something I would recommend. If the cling ones won't work, how about the soft mesh ones with suction cups? That's what I used and they worked well.

Or, get your windows tinted, if possible.

jdchic3

NOT A TECH, but my personal opinion is that it might be ok. It would have to be a parental decision, and you'd have to see it in person first to make sure that nothing will truly interfere, but it might work.

On the other hand I would think this kind of shade is overkill. Are your DCs super sensitive to light? Have you tried the window cling stuff by fisher-price that you can cut to fit? I used some in my Jeep. What about wearing a bucket hat in the car? All just friendly suggestions! Good luck! ;)

ETA:pic
You can see in the background that I have the cling shade on the large part of the window and then I filled the small part with the cut to fit cling kind.

IMG_0477600x800.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm not a tech either, but I don't see what would be wrong with this. It doesn't seem to interfere with the harness or to have anything that would interfere with the installation process.

Here are the installation directions.

While it is an "add-on," I can't see anything dangerous about it.

For kids who are sun-sensitive, this might actually be helpful.

laurenrachey

Tinting the windows is not an option. It is too expensive especially when the car is old (a 91) and we are hoping to get rid of it within the next year. We will barely get anything for it, so I don't want to dump money into it. I have clings on his side windows, but the sun comes in from all directions (sometimes from our side windows in the front, or directly in the front of the car). I think the windows are somewhat oversized for the size of the car! lol He just gets furious when it gets in his eyes, and he screams like a banshee. If there is a such thing as a drama king, he could definitely be one! He wears sunglasses, but still gets upset.

OT but JDCHIC3 I love love LOVE that cover, WOW! I hadn't ever noticed that one. I mainly try to not stay up to date on the new Britax girly covers, because I just end up mad :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think that protect a bub looks like it would really interfere with a safe install... :confused: Sunshine Kids also makes a pop up shade that fits over a seatback for only $12.99...but it's smaller...

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Also, does anyone know if this particular one has to be put on and taken off every time it is used?

I have that shade, but I only used it RF, so I can't comment on flipping it. It has elastic on the back to hold it on the seat, and I had the strings tied on to the headrests. It was easy to just pop it on and off the seat when I took DS in and out. I really don't know how that would work FF.

Hey, N Z, those are cool!

They are popular here, because they are easy to fit, fit most cars (stretch) and we have high UVA and UVB rays (ozone layer above NZ/Artic) has a huge hole.

You can put your window down to with this fitted, and it will not let bugs in, but lets air in!

I will see if i can get wholesale prices and if anyone is interested please PM me.

Auntie2Avi

I give my kiddo a blanket & instuct him to cover his face when the sun is bothersome. I find it entertaining.

nak

I bought some cling on sheets but Avi quickly figured out how to pull it off. He then proceeded to put it over his head to block the sun out. It was very entertaining for a few minutes until he started to complain yet again. He has sunglasses but likes to keep them next to his legs in the seat rather than on his face.

Chameleon

I saw someone here with that window sock thing the other day and I could not for the life of me figure out what the heck it was!!!! Now I know. LOL That thing is very neat looking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC