I kept her harnessed until about 6!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My oldest is almost 11 now. I found some pics from when she was 5.5, and DD was still harnessed at 5.5! Yay! Her harness is actually done up nice and snug with the chest clip in the proper place. Her shoulders are just under the top slots and I know I kept her harnessed until the manual said she was outgrown it, I am thinking she was around 6. The seat was a Century NextStep DX combo seat. I switched it to booster mode after that and she stayed that way until she outgrew it as a booster in height, then she was moved to a Graco backless turbo booster. She was wearing a thin jacket in the pic and I kind of had it jammed under one strap more than I'd ever do now, but the harness was tight! I remember she used to yell at me, "okay stop, getting squished now!". ;)

I didn't know anything particular about extended harnessing and I don't recall the information being out there on the internet like it is now. I just knew that she was within the height/weight of the seat to still be harnessed, so why wouldn't I harness her? At this point, all of her friends were OUT of restraints entirely (not even in boosters) and she was still harnessed! Woohoo!

I will say that I am mighty lucky that she was a toothpick and got to stay harnessed for so long, because her seat only went to 40# harnessed!

century-0.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

scatterbunny

GREAT pic; I think that's the biggest kid I've seen using a NextStep. Kudos to you for following best practice without knowing what you know now.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
GREAT pic; I think that's the biggest kid I've seen using a NextStep. Kudos to you for following best practice without knowing what you know now.
When I bought mine, they told me that they sold VERY few in my city because people thought they were too expensive! I actually quite liked that seat. The harness was easy to tighten and easy to buckle. The straps were not twisty like the Eddie Bauer combo seat our friends had for their DD. And it was comfortable for DD and easy to install. It was narrow though, so not sure how good it would have been for huskier kids. And of course it's main drawback was that it only went to 52" I believe in booster mode (or whenever bottoms of ears were at top of seat I believe), so I had to get another booster when I originally thought this one was do us until she was out of a booster.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC