Car seat with no chest clip

mish

This may be a really stupid question, but here it is. Since I have been on this board, I have seen pics of car seats with no chest clips. I think these are car seats that are made or at least sold in other countries. My question is, how is this safe? We make sure chest clips are on the chest, but these seats don't even have one. I just don't understand how they work as well as a seat with a chest clip.

ADS

scatterbunny

A chest clip is only a pre-crash positioner, there to ensure straps are in proper position before a crash occurs. During a crash the chest clip is designed to break open or slide down. Chest clips are not a necessity if straps are properly positioned and tightened to begin with, and in fact, there are not required by law. Some US seats did not even come with a chest clip, or, if they did, specified that the chest clip is only used above a certain weight.

More information on chest clips: http://carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#harnessclip

LuvBug

European seats are required to have a 1 point release. That means crotch buckle only. They know the importance of a tight harness, though just like the US there is misuse.
If the harness is snug like it should be, often times you don't even need the chest clip. A chest clip is only a pre-crash positioning device to make sure the straps are in the correct place.

Last edited:

CRS

Senior Community Member
What they do have instead is long "comfort pads" that have rubber backing

Sorry to correct you, however I would hazard a guess to say most European seats do in fact NOT have the rubber backed comfort pads. Don't forget Australia does not have chest clips either - and no rubber backed comfort pads.

mish

Thank you. That makes sense, but in my tech class, and pretty much everywhere, there was/is a lot of attention paid to having it in the right position. I was just confused.

scatterbunny

Yes, when a seat comes with a chest clip it's important to use it as it's designed, which means placed at armpit level. This is done to keep straps in proper position pre-crash, but again, it's more to make up for lack of proper placement and tightening than anything else.

LuvBug

Sorry to correct you, however I would hazard a guess to say most European seats do in fact NOT have the rubber backed comfort pads. Don't forget Australia does not have chest clips either - and no rubber backed comfort pads.

no definitely correct me when I'm wrong ;) You are right they do not all have them. Brainfart is all I can say :rolleyes: lol!

Brilliantmama

Was it Britax who said that you could use their seats without the chestciips?

Any others allow removal or optional use?

scatterbunny

I've never heard of Britax allowing you to remove the chest clip, but there was a Fisher Price infant seat (now discontinued) that did not have a chest clip, and a Fisher Price convertible (also discontinued) that said not to use the chest clip under a certain weight.

LuvBug

:ROTFLMAO:

I think I remember was told it was ok to use the RN or BV without the chestclip because it was bruising charlie? But we know how much we can rely on those CSRs :roleyes:

I was told, and perhaps it was wrong, that the chest clip was only placed on car seats as it was perceived to be safer but did not impact the safety of the seat at all. It also in some past years prevented children from getting out of the restraint.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Was it Britax who said that you could use their seats without the chestciips?

Any others allow removal or optional use?

Britax allows you to remove the rubber HUGS rear facing, but they're required forward facing. Is that maybe what you're thinking of?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC